Unlimited Dining Package Lunch Benefit

I noticed the fine print on the Unlimited Dining Package says you can use it for specialty restaurant lunches on sea days, but what happens on a short trip with no sea days?  Are the specialty restaurants just not open for lunch or are they just ineligible for the package benefit on port days?

Great question which does change the math for short cruises or even port intensive cruises like some in Europe.   Same with boarding day which isn't a sea day but some ships will have a speciality restaurant open that allows the UDP.  This seems to be ship dependent.  

Take a look at past cruise compasses to find open times for a particular ship:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compass

2 hours ago, Marlena said:

From what I understood, if the specialty restaurant is open....you can eat there. Sea days, port days, after dinner snack! Lol.

This is also my understanding.  Normally though, the specialty restaurants are NOT open on port days...at least not the traditional specialties like Chops and Giovanni's/Jamie's.

I have had 100% good luck with specialty restaurants on embarkation day - even since The Key started.  So far have never been turned away.  Fingers crossed that this streak continues.  I think being in a suite helps though.  I always ask the Suites Concierge to make us a reservation at a specialty restaurant on embarkation day and so far, they always have.

21 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I always ask the Suites Concierge to make us a reservation at a specialty restaurant on embarkation day and so far, they always have.

We prefer the mass of humanity, all trying to navigate the WJ while pulling their wheeled carry-ons behind them! 

It's a tradition! ?

On 6/17/2019 at 10:31 AM, Marlena said:

From what I understood, if the specialty restaurant is open....you can eat there. Sea days, port days, after dinner snack! Lol.

I had the Unlimited Dining on Navigator last month, yes if a restaurant is open you can dine there.  We stayed onboard in Nassau and had lunch at Jamie's Italian.

24 minutes ago, Mgill said:

The Key comes with specialty dining lunch at Chops on embarkation day...if I have the Ultimate Dining package, do I still need the Key for that specialty dining option on embarkation OR is having both redundant for this purpose?

No.  If you have the UDP you should be able to go to Chops (or whatever specialty restaurant is open on embark day).  I have heard of a few singular instances where people with an UDP were turned away but that was early in the days of the new and improved UDP and this have never happened to me.  I think each ship handles it differently though.

Are you in a full suite (Grand Suite or higher) ?  I always have the suite concierge make a reservation for us on embark day just to make sure that they are booked expecting us.  You also should receive the “regular” lunch menu as opposed to the more limited Key lunch menu with the UDP.

On 6/18/2019 at 3:12 PM, FManke said:

We prefer the mass of humanity, all trying to navigate the WJ while pulling their wheeled carry-ons behind them! 

It's a tradition! ?

This is precisely why we prefer to relax at our hotel and not board until around 1pm when the rooms open up. ?