Drink Pkg for Teenage Son??? Purchase or not?

Molly

We are a first time cruise family on Allure next month. My husband and I purchased the UDP for ourselves and the Ref. Pkg for our 18yo daughter. My dilemma comes with our 15 yo son. My family rarely drinks soda, mainly bottled water; what would my best options be for him?

Anyone else out there experience the same situation as me?  Thanks in advance for any advice!

Can you get away with it? Probably. But it sounds to me as if you don't feel entirely comfortable with the idea. If he's only going to be drinking water and the occasional soda, you might as well just buy them individually. It won't set you back a lot and you'll have a clear conscience.

We bought soda packages for our two 16 year olds. It was a waste in our case. There’s no Freestyle machine on Liberty so they had to go fill it at a bar. One preferred lemonade which is  free and the other preferred water. Maybe if a Freestyle were available it would have been different. 

Sometimes teens want the Voom package, and there is a combination that includes soda.  When my son was young, he also ordered Shirley Temples.  Also, for coffee/latte drinkers, there is a coffee card on some ships.  Then there is the refreshment package to consider.  I don't buy a soda package for myself because I love the complimentary flavored water, lemonade, and coffee served on every ship.

From what you have said, you should consider just paying a la carte as needed.

We always get the refreshment package for our 19 year old because she will get coffee, mocktails and bottled water.  We have not purchased anything for our 13 & 7 year olds because they like the free stuff and I take a 6 pack of their favorite sodas on board so they are covered for the week.  Last cruise we didn't even finish those.  So far we have not taken them on a ship with the freestyle machines.  The 13 year old may use it more if their are the freestyle machines.  She only bought one soda in 5 nights last cruise and 2 the cruise before.

My family members aren't soda drinkers.

Those over 21 in the same cabin must buy the deluxe package if any one does, but other than that, no one else has to buy any package, even if parents buy the deluxe package.  The rest (under 21) are free to acquire any package or not that suits them.

With two adults buying the DX, they can often ask for numerous bottles of water and receive plenty to stock the cabin with water.

I once had a crew member on the gangway refuse me two bottles of water when leaving for an excursion because my step daughter (a minor) had no package.  He was within his right to do so if my intention was sharing.  On many occasions I cruise solo and walk off the ship asking for two bottles - no problem.  I drink a lot of water.     Difference?  Perceived intent.

No, not the soda package.  Only you would get the glass and a little sticker to put on your Sea Pass.  They wouldn't have stickers, so if they did order a soda from a bartender, they would be charged.   Some rooms currently come with soda packages for everyone in the cabin (e.g., Boardwalk Balcony on Oasis-class ships). In that case, there are multiple coke glasses and stickers (in an envelope--don't throw it out). 

When my son was young, we ordered a soda package just for him.  As he got older, we combined Voom with the soda and saved some $$.

12 hours ago, twangster said:

I once had a crew member on the gangway refuse me two bottles of water when leaving for an excursion because my step daughter (a minor) had no package.  He was within his right to do so if my intention was sharing.  On many occasions I cruise solo and walk off the ship asking for two bottles - no problem.  I drink a lot of water.     Difference?  Perceived intent.

I think like most things this happens on a case by case basis. I have many a bartender offer me multiple bottles of water, that they just "charged" to my Drink Pkg without me asking. 

I can see that somebody might feel that they have to be the "water sheriff" but really, over a bottle of water that costs RC like 15 cents?

5 minutes ago, FManke said:

I think like most things this happens on a case by case basis. I have many a bartender offer me multiple bottles of water, that they just "charged" to my Drink Pkg without me asking. 

I can see that somebody might feel that they have to be the "water sheriff" but really, over a bottle of water that costs RC like 15 cents?

I find that water is rarely even "rung up" and charged against a package.  Its usually just sitting on the counter and if you show them your card they will just grab a few and hand them to you.

Just now, marti314 said:

I find that water is rarely even "rung up" and charged against a package.  Its usually just sitting on the counter and if you show them your card they will just grab a few and hand them to you.

Yes, we found this to be true for excursions. Just wave the card in their general direction. No problems.

If you are staying in a boardwalk or park balcony he'll get the soda or royal refresh for free. 

But like others say just grab bottles from bars. We always had a supply in our room of 6-8 bottles so your son could just take them to be honest they buy the water probably at 0.20c per bottle if that. They rarely rang them up.