drinking age

zjennk

44 minutes ago, zjennk said:

We( myself, DH, DD20,DS19) are taking an Alaskian cruise in June 2020. Is the drinking age in Canada 19?  Will they be able to drink or is Royal Caribbean's policy 21? My daughter actually turns 21 while we are on the cruise. 

Yeah sorry the policy is going to be 21.. I am not sure how they handle it when someone is turning 21 on the cruise.. You might have to wait until you get on the ship to find out

4 hours ago, Mr. Candyman said:

According to Royal, the age you are at the beginning of the cruise will be the age you are considered the duration of the cruise but I believe once they turn 21 you can go to guest services and have them update the Seapass card indicating she is able to drink.

She will have to get a new Seapass card as the background is different for under 18, 18-20, and 21+.  As stated she can go to Guest Services on her 21st Birthday. 

The drinking age varies in Canada either 18 or 19 depending on the province or territory.  It is 19 in Vancouver, British Columbia.  So everyone in the family can drink in port but not on the ship.  It's 21 because of US embrakation.  If you allow your kids to have alcohol in port make sure they have some form of legal photo ID like a passport or driver's license.  They most likely will be asked.  

Royal treats all North American cruises the same.  Age 21.

While you are in a Canadian port, off ship, the drinking age will be 19 in British Columbia.  BC is pretty strict about two forms of ID for those who appear to be near the age. 

I have traveled with American children on two different occasions who were 19 and therefore legal in British Columbia but the establishment needed to see two government ID confirming their age.  Passport and driver's license for example.  Just a driver's license wasn't good enough even with the parents present.