23rd wedding Anniversary while on Anthem cruise question

JRA

My wife and I are doing our first cruise aboard Anthems Of The Sea for our 23 anniversary . I was just wondering if they offer anything special for couples celebrating anniversaries ?

Because it took a lot of convincing to get her to try a cruise id like to do anything to make it special so when we are back home maybe a second cruise can be booked . 

There is usually an option on the cruise planner to purchase the anniversary package which includes room decorations, pillow covers, a bottle of wine, some tasty treats and a door sign. I got this for my parents who were having their 50 anniversary a couple of years ago.

RCI did not not do anything special for their anniversary.

I decorated my parents door with a picture of their first date. Pictures of special events were place in an album in the room. We had special shirts made with the date of their wedding. We also had on the back because of that special day, our names, grandchildren and great grandchildren names were listed.

If your Travel Agent puts your Anniversary in your reservation, you will usually get a Happy Anniversary song at your table (to the tune of Happy Birthday) and a piece of "special cake".   Don't be surprised if it comes on some day other than your anniversary.  You won't get a bottle of wine or a special drink unless you pay for it.

We're celebrating our 20th anniversary on our February cruise and I'm ordering a personalized cruise magnet and a personalized set of pillow cases from etsy for our cabin. I figured we can keep the magnet on our fridge at home after the cruise and we can keep on using the pillow cases too.

12 hours ago, CFL said:

We're celebrating our 20th anniversary on our February cruise and I'm ordering a personalized cruise magnet and a personalized set of pillow cases from etsy for our cabin. I figured we can keep the magnet on our fridge at home after the cruise and we can keep on using the pillow cases too.

Who are "etsy" ?

Etsy is an online shop for handmade and other type items.  Here are sample pictures and links for the pillow cases and magnet.  I ordered the magnet for my parents 50th anniversary last month and it was really nice!  The magnet can be customized for anniversary, birthday or honeymoon.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/597663291/personalized-romantic-pillowcases?ref=user_profile&frs=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/587900353/cruise-line-door-magnet-anniversary?show_sold_out_detail=1&bes=1

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 10.10.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 10.10.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 10.10.06 AM.png

Also go to the Love and Marriage show.  It is kind of like the Newlywed game, except they take 1 newlywed couple, 1 married for 20 or so yrs (like you) and 1 married for 40-50 yrs.  It is a fun show if you have a good cruise director.

Skid is correct We Will Rock You is a great show.  You need to stay even after they take their bows, they do an encore.  Many people leave prior because they want to beat the crush of passengers exiting only  to realize as they are at the door that there is an encore.  

The Gift show is something 99% of posters will say that it is a Check the Box, been there done it.  We would never spend 45 minutes of our lives again to see it for the 2nd time.  If your schedule doesn't permit it, than you are fine.

All of the broadway style shows take reservations, so make them as soon as possible.  I would say reserve Spectra for the 1st night.  That is their acrobatic show in 270.  The reason why is if the seas are rocky it will be canceled, thus, if you wait to the end of the cruise and they cancel it, you will not see it at all.   If you go to the 270 cafe for lunch (they have the kummelwreck there, along with soups and salads) sometimes you can see them practice the show.  The 270 is also where they host the Quest show.

If you took a balcony and really want her to enjoy it, order the continental breakfast for the cabin.  It is free and you can select the time.  My husband and I are early risers.  We go to the gym or walk the deck.  We than jaunt over to the WJ and order an omelet get some hot items and fresh squeezed OJ to take back to our cabin, timing it so the continental breakfast arrives as soon as we get back.  On the Anthem they have a coffee bar in the WJ, so if you have the deluxe beverage package you can also get a specialty coffee to go.  The beauty of this is three fold.  1. You don't have to search out a table.  2. You can eat on your balcony and watch the ship pull into port.  3. You don't feel rushed to get ready for the day.   Eat and look over the Compass for the day.  Take a shower, and grab a sip of coffee or a bite of a muffin.  Put on sunscreen, pack your beach bag, take another sip of coffee.  The cabin attendant will clean up after you leave the room.

I would also suggest the best tip we were ever given.  The WJ opens for dinner @5 or so.  We typically do late seating.  We go in @5:30 and make 2 plates to take back to our cabin 1. For while we get ready, appetizer stuff.  Another plate which we place in the mini-fridge for late night snacks... bread, deli meat/cheeses, fried chicken, desserts, etc. that taste just as good cold as when it is hot.  It is better than the limited selection offered on the Esplanade.  WJ has things like seafood in a cup, veggies in a cup, desserts in a cup.

If weather is permitting the WJ has outdoor seating, so don't worry about trying to find a table with a view inside.  Most passengers don't know it exists because you basically have to walk as far away from the food as possible.

In my opinion the best Solarium on any of the RCL ships is on the Anthem.  They not only have a bar in there, but the Solarium bistro is attached to it also.   The peek a boo bridge is in the Solarium. 

Make sure you go to Schooners and play trivia.  Popular ones will get packed, so be there @ 15 mins prior if you want a seat at the bar or table.  The trivia ranges from NFL history to Michael Jackson to Friends (tv show).

I typically would not purchase the Key, but for the Anthem I would.  I also would purchase the ultimate dining package because they have multiple venues.

Anthem is a great ship to do your 1st cruise.   It is large, but once you figure out how to navigate it, it doesn't feel that huge.  Hopefully the weather will be nice on your sail away day.  The pool deck sail away party to me is the best.  Anthem only clears the bottom of the Verrazano by about 30 feet.   If you are on the pool deck you will see the tires of the cars roaring over your head. It is a sight and sound you will never forget.

It is unusual for them to sail around the Statue of Liberty.  If they do consider it a bonus, but don't expect it.  The 1 thing you should visit is the 9/11 Memorial at the port.  It is right next to the pier.  It is a tear drop made from steel from the WTC.  It was a gift from Russia.  You can actually see it from the decks on the ship.

Cape Liberty is a great port.  The only problem is the design when it comes to dropping off your luggage.  It tends to bottle neck.  The garage is attached to the terminal.  It takes maybe 3 mins to walk from the garage to the terminal.  Once in the terminal they have kiosks and attendants to check you in.  The attendants work with an Ipad, so it is quick for them.  It takes about 15 mins total from check in, through security and walking onto the ship.  We have traveled through them a couple of times.  I will say they are very serious at the scanners about what is allowed, so don't try to sneak anything on, it will be confiscated.    Anthem has the WOW bands if you want them.

Lastly, at least when we have cruised on the Anthem they do a 70s night, silent disco and a White Night.  I believe the Battle of the Sexes is held right before the 70s party.  

If you want to make her laugh, as soon as you get on the ship, go to the pool deck and find the Giraffe!

Sorry for the novella, but I hope it helps you planning this cruise to convert her into loving cruising.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2019 at 10:14 AM, CFL said:

Etsy is an online shop for handmade and other type items.  Here are sample pictures and links for the pillow cases and magnet.  I ordered the magnet for my parents 50th anniversary last month and it was really nice!  The magnet can be customized for anniversary, birthday or honeymoon.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/597663291/personalized-romantic-pillowcases?ref=user_profile&frs=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/587900353/cruise-line-door-magnet-anniversary?show_sold_out_detail=1&bes=1

We are Going to be celebrating our 40th this Aug, 2019 & wanted to know if they set this up for you or do you set it up after you're onboard. Would love to surprise my husband with it already set up! Thanks!  KS

32 minutes ago, KimS said:

We are Going to be celebrating our 40th this Aug, 2019 & wanted to know if they set this up for you or do you set it up after you're onboard. Would love to surprise my husband with it already set up! Thanks!  KS

For our 20th anniversary cruise my plan is take my pillow cases and magnet in my carry-on and somehow get to our cabin before my husband (not sure how yet....) and set it up myself real quick.  I'm also printing out an 8x10 copy of our wedding picture to hang up inside the cabin with magnets.

CFL, Let me know how it turns out ❣️ I do know you can order decorations from the ship that they will put up in your room. I just really like the more personal touch with the pillow cases, etc...

Also Congratulations to You too, time flies so quickly, it’s so hard for me to believe it’s gonna be our 40th!! BTW....we leave on Symphony of the Seas on 8/17 in case you’re on the same ship! ?

8 hours ago, KimS said:

CFL, Let me know how it turns out ❣️ I do know you can order decorations from the ship that they will put up in your room. I just really like the more personal touch with the pillow cases, etc...

Also Congratulations to You too, time flies so quickly, it’s so hard for me to believe it’s gonna be our 40th!! BTW....we leave on Symphony of the Seas on 8/17 in case you’re on the same ship! ?

Congratulations on 40 years!!  You'll actually be going before me, we are on Harmony in February, I will be curious to see how it went for you ?

I cruised with my parents for their 50th.  We bought a gold mini cake topper for about 79 cents at Hobby Lobby.  I had it in my purse and when the waiter brought out the cake for them I stuck it in while he was singing.  It showed up great in the photos.  You could do something similar for a room service breakfast or even a special cocktail.

5 minutes ago, SweetHomeLady said:

I cruised with my parents for their 50th.  We bought a gold mini cake topper for about 79 cents at Hobby Lobby.  I had it in my purse and when the waiter brought out the cake for them I stuck it in while he was singing.  It showed up great in the photos.  You could do something similar for a room service breakfast or even a special cocktail.

Great idea!!

On 6/16/2019 at 9:14 AM, CFL said:

Omg... These are so cute!!  I tend to stay off of Etsy as it might be dangerous lol!  I could spend a looooot if money lol.  Jane