Uber

39 minutes ago, 1978bucketlist said:

We are cruising from Fort Lauderdale. There are 4 of us with luggage. Is uber the best way back to airport? How much will it cost. It will be January 12.

You would need an Uber XL because of luggage.. There is no way to tell you the cost because when you get off the ship Uber is in Surge Mode because so many other people are Ubering so the price goes Way up. Plus Ft. Lauderdale port and airport charge an annoying fee to Uber that Uber passes along.. So is uberring convenient to go to the airport yes is it the cheapest not sure about that.. The airport is literally a 5-7 min drive from the port but you just never know what uber will charge.. 

While I love Uber and use Uber in most cities, I find a taxi is almost easier at the airport and cruise terminal in Fort Lauderdale.   We (family of 6) typically just jump in a taxi van after our cruise at Port everglades to go to FLL.  I find it easier than waiting around and figuring out the Uber driver is along with hundreds of other people.  

16 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We've cruised out of Fort Lauderdale a number of times and we always do Uber XL/Lyft Plus for our family of 4.  We use this for airport-hotel, hotel-cruise terminal, cruise terminal-airport.  We have not had good experiences with Taxi drivers in Fort Lauderdale so it's always ride share for us these days. 

Taxi drivers down here scare me lol. Always use Uber or Lyft. 

What FLL fee?  Just looked over all my ride share receipts for 2+ years and couldn't find one at FLL.  

I use Lyft from the Airport but I generally find it easier to use a cab to the airport from the ship in Port Everglades.  Taxis cost a few bucks more on this short route but it's just easier since the Port Everglades terminals don't lend themselves to ride share pick up.

24 minutes ago, twangster said:

What FLL fee?  Just looked over all my ride share receipts for 2+ years and couldn't find one at FLL.  

I use Lyft from the Airport but I generally find it easier to use a cab to the airport from the ship in Port Everglades.  Taxis cost a few bucks more on this short route but it's just easier since the Port Everglades terminals don't lend themselves to ride share pick up.

its kind of a hidden fee.. It literally costs me the same amount of money for me to Uber from my apartment 15 min from port everglades as it does from my apartment to port of Miami which is 45 min from my apartment.. A few years ago Uber was banned here because of all these Taxi companies getting pissed off.. Finally Uber lawyers came and fought it and Uber was reinstated well part of that was they charge more when Ubering either from Ft. Lauderdale airport or port everglades.. Why I don't know but they some how get away with it. It literally costs me $45 to Uber from my apartment to port everglades like I said 15 min away and costs me the same $45 to uber to port of Miami which is 45 min away.. Just something annoying I noticed about Uber but maybe someone who is not from here wouldn't notice that... Like I said it doesn't come up Fee on my receipt.. Also I tested this theory multiple times at different times of day so its not surge pricing its something else.. 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Thanks I will take that into consideration in October

8 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

its kind of a hidden fee.. It literally costs me the same amount of money for me to Uber from my apartment 15 min from port everglades as it does from my apartment to port of Miami which is 45 min from my apartment.. A few years ago Uber was banned here because of all these Taxi companies getting pissed off.. Finally Uber lawyers came and fought it and Uber was reinstated well part of that was they charge more when Ubering either from Ft. Lauderdale airport or port everglades.. Why I don't know but they some how get away with it. It literally costs me $45 to Uber from my apartment to port everglades like I said 15 min away and costs me the same $45 to uber to port of Miami which is 45 min away.. Just something annoying I noticed about Uber but maybe someone who is not from here wouldn't notice that... Like I said it doesn't come up Fee on my receipt.. Also I tested this theory multiple times at different times of day so its not surge pricing its something else.. 

Lyft to Port Everglades, $11.72.  The driver couldn't speak english and wouldn't follow my attempt to direct him so he got lost and went the long way, but still $11.72.

From this area to Port Miami is 3 to 4 times this amount but it's much farther so that's expected.  FLL is my airport of choice, use Lyft from there 3 or 4 times each year.

387173146_LyftFLLride.thumb.jpg.a7e5ed09aff77fc67d218db00662b9bc.jpg

7 minutes ago, FManke said:

Has anybody had experience with Uber in Europe? 

Before they were neutered in Spain and ceased operations in that country, they required you to enter your passport details into the app.  Given this is a private company with a bad history of data security I opted not to use them since I wasn't willing to provide them with my passport information.  Can't speak for Uber in other countries.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Lyft to Port Everglades, $11.72.  The driver couldn't speak english and wouldn't follow my attempt to direct him so he got lost and went the long way, but still $11.72.

From this area to Port Miami is 3 to 4 times this amount but it's much farther so that's expected.  FLL is my airport of choice, use Lyft from there 3 or 4 times each year.

387173146_LyftFLLride.thumb.jpg.a7e5ed09aff77fc67d218db00662b9bc.jpg

Oh Myyyyyyyyyyyy, its like the driver was trying to write some hidden message in his absolutely insane route!  Thats not just lost, there is something else in that deviation.

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

Before they were neutered in Spain and ceased operations in that country, they required you to enter your passport details into the app.  Given this is a private company with a bad history of data security I opted not to use them since I wasn't willing to provide them with my passport information.  Can't speak for Uber in other countries.  

They should have just asked you to enter your SS# as well as you were at it. Ah no, I would have gone the same route as you.

1 minute ago, marti314 said:

Oh Myyyyyyyyyyyy, its like the driver was trying to write some hidden message in his absolutely insane route!  Thats not just lost, there is something else in that deviation.

I thought we learned in school that the shortest distance between to points was a straight line?

had the same sort of experience with Uber from hotel on SE 24th to terminal 29 Port Everglades, should have been pretty much a straight shot down the road ST Hwy 84 and then a right.  The Uber driver insisted he had to follow his GPS and had us for all practical purposes back at the airport before finally getting there.  2 to 3 times as long of a trip, but price did not change like in a taxi when the take you the long way around, felt sorry for the drive, spending time when he could have been earning