Grand Suite Perks Questions (Ovation)

Nat

Hi, our family of 4 (2 adults + 13-year-old twins) are sailing on Ovation later this month to Alaska and have booked the Grand Suite. This is our very first cruise so we are very excited! A couple of questions:

1. We heard that other than the Coastal Kitchen, suite members can also have breakfast at Chop - is that true? Are there other restaurants (in addition to MDR, Windjammer, Coastal Kitchen) that we will have access to? Do they enforce dress code at Coastal Kitchen? Does my son really need to bring slacks? 

2. We did not purchase a drink package, and heard that suite guests will have access to free drinks at a bar next to the Coastal Kitchen (Suite Lounge?). Can someone tell us how that works? Is it only limited time or all day? We wanted to make sure that we don't accidentally order drinks that are not free and get charged. 

3. Do we have priority access to on-board activities such as iFly?

4. What time do evening shows start? My husband usually goes to bed by 10:00 and we want to book dinner at the right time so we can enjoy the show after dinner without it being too late.

5. The ship is scheduled to arrive Seattle at 6:00am on the last day, and our flight leaves at 11:40am. Would we have time to have breakfast before leaving the boat? 

6. If we prepay gratuity, does not mean we are not expected to tip at all on ship? 

Thank you! 

45 minutes ago, Nat said:

1. We heard that other than the Coastal Kitchen, suite members can also have breakfast at Chop - is that true? Are there other restaurants (in addition to MDR, Windjammer, Coastal Kitchen) that we will have access to? Do they enforce dress code at Coastal Kitchen? Does my son really need to bring slacks? 

On ships that have Coastal Kitchen they do not have a breakfast in Chops.  

46 minutes ago, Nat said:

2. We did not purchase a drink package, and heard that suite guests will have access to free drinks at a bar next to the Coastal Kitchen (Suite Lounge?). Can someone tell us how that works? Is it only limited time or all day? We wanted to make sure that we don't accidentally order drinks that are not free and get charged. 

It's for a limited time and a limited menu.  I believe this happens in the Concierge Lounge which is on Deck 12 Aft. Coastal Kitchen doesn't share the space with the Suite Lounge on Ovation.

48 minutes ago, Nat said:

You can coordinate with the Concierge on board to schedule your onboard activities.  This can be done onboard in the Concierge Lounge.  They also should send you a welcome email a week before your sailing that you can respond to and make your dinner and activity reservations.

50 minutes ago, Nat said:

6. If we prepay gratuity, does not mean we are not expected to tip at all on ship? 

If you did not prepay your gratuities then it will be charged daily to your onboard account.  This daily service charge includes your room attendant and the service staff involved with your meals.  It is customary to tip the Concierge if they happen to do something above and beyond in helping you, but it is not a requirement.  If you purchase drinks or eat in a specialty restaurant an 18% service charge will be added.  I would recommend tipping for the free drinks in the Concierge Lounge.

We have sailed with a Grand Suite on Ovation and agree with the above.

The Coastal Kitchen is quite large so it was never busy for breakfast. It also has amazing moves to start the day.

The drinks in the Concierge lounge are between 4:30pm and 8pm. The cruise we were on the Concerirge lounge was quite busy, especially between 4:30pm - 6pm, this is because Concerirge lounges also allow access to Diamond + and Pinnacles.

Even though you have pre-paid gratuities there may still be some tipping required. For example we gave the servers in the Coastal Kitchen and the Concierge lounge. Any drinks you buy without a drinks package will have an 18% gratuity added for “your conveniencce”

You will have a great holiday on Ovation, we have cruised Alaska on Radiance and had a great time.

Sorry forgot to mention you can use the Concierge to books activities like the iFly and North Star.

some of theother perks you will receive are

Free Internet and priority boarding and disembarking, Coastal Kitchen for dinner, priority tendering, the Concierge will also book shows and activities for you. 

You will have to wait in line for bumper cars as only Star Class get priority.

Some of your question are already answered so I’ll just try to cover some items that were not.  

20 hours ago, Nat said:

1. Do they enforce dress code at Coastal Kitchen? Does my son really need to bring slacks? 

The dress code is not well enforced so you can pretty much wear what you want to a certain extent.  It is Alaska and while you may have some nice weather, last mont we were only able to wear shorts on a couple of days.  It is likely your cruise will also have 2 formal nights.  Again you can wear what you want but expect that most will be in dress pants and collared shirts, some will have suits on and even a few tuxedos, so dress to your comfort level.  

20 hours ago, Nat said:

As mentioned you can work with concierge to book some activities and those are items that have set reservations like iFly and certain times for the NorthStar.  Only Star Class has a priority access for activities that do not have reservations like bumper cars.  

20 hours ago, Nat said:

4. What time do evening shows start? My husband usually goes to bed by 10:00 and we want to book dinner at the right time so we can enjoy the show after dinner without it being too late.

To help you plan here is a link to the cruise compass for our cruise last month that @twangstershared.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compasses/ovation-of-the-seas/mon-2019-05-13-0000

I don’t want to disrespect that you can try to keep your normal schedule and be in bed at a certain time.  But you will be on vacation, so it is likely that you should consider allowing for a little variety and flexibility to your day.  First of all you will be in the Alaska time zone which is an hour behind Pacific, so even if home is on the west coasts there is a time change, more so if you are from somewhere else.  Second since you are on vacation your schedule during the day will likely be different anyway.