Excursion the port of Livorno

Clifford

We did Pisa when we sailed the Med in 2011.  It is worth seeing once, but probably can't compare to Florence (or so I am told).  Some folks on our ship went to the beach.  In order to climb inside the tower, you need tickets, which at the time required waiting awhile.  Your RCI tour may not provide enough time for that (depends on the size of the crowds).

Lucca is one of the cities most loved all of Tuscany, a stop that can not really miss in a classic itinerary to the discovery of the region. You can also make a pit stop in Pisa as you have to change trains there anyways.

I am planning on doing this day trip in September, leaving Florence for a trip where I have a few days to spend exploring instead of buzzing around and only seeing glimpses of everything.

Pisa is definitely worth a visit. And if you're in time to hear the demonstration of the acoustics in the Battistero, that is breathtaking. You have to pay an extra couple of euros for the ticket but it's well worth it. 

Personally, having done Pisa and Florence, I'm considering Cinque Terre for my upcoming cruise.