Birth certificate and DL question

I have a passport but it expires 4 months from the end of our cruise (cruise line recommends expiring 6 months or later). So, I was going to bring original raised seal birth certificates and DL just in case. However, birth certificate is in maiden name. Will it still work? Or do I also bring marriage certificate to show name change?

I have a passport but it expires 4 months from the end of our cruise (cruise line recommends expiring 6 months or later). So, I was going to bring original raised seal birth certificates and DL just in case. However, birth certificate is in maiden name. Will it still work? Or do I also bring marriage certificate to show name change?

4 months you SHOULD be able to get a new passport by then, no?

If it is a cruise that allows you to use a DL and birth certificate, your passport will be fine. The six month suggestion is because some countries require that your passport be good for six months to allow entry into the country. It's a non issue if it's a cruise where a DL and birth certificate is allowed.

If you are bringing your BC and DL as a backup you will need to bring a certified copy of your marriage certificate to back up a name change on your BC.  You are smart to bring these backups!  There is no such thing as too many IDs when it comes to checking in at the pier.  It will be too late to go home to get the right paperwork on the day of the cruise.  Relax and have a good time .....Mike

yep you most likely will be fine with a closed loop but never say never - its up to the Custom agents

upon boarding and re-entering the US that can deny this if they choose too - BUT have not

seen that happen

Back ups are always good -
Take photos of these on your phone as well, in case you did misplace them

you will have pictures on your phone, then delete them once you board.

Have a blast

yep you most likely will be fine with a closed loop but never say never - its up to the Custom agents

upon boarding and re-entering the US that can deny this if they choose too - BUT have not

seen that happen

Back ups are always good -

Take photos of these on your phone as well, in case you did misplace them

you will have pictures on your phone, then delete them once you board.

Have a blast

Isn't the 6 month rule specific to the countries you're visiting.  That is, a foreign country can require that you have so many months left before expiration to ensure that you are able to return to your country of residence should there be some delay in travel.  This isn't a U.S. entry requirement but a requirement by foreign governments, correct?

This is also country specific according to the State Department:

As a general rule, passports must be valid for six months beyond the date the traveler will exit the U.S., however, the U.S. has signed agreements with a number of countries to waive this requirementWhen such an agreement is in place, the passport must be valid for the entire period of the visitor's intended stay, but the additional six month validity period is not required.

The list of countries can be found here:  http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/104770.pdf