Advise to get room changed for unforeseen circumstance

My wife and I are going on our 5th cruise with Royal Caribbean (Ovation 10 day to Hawaii) in September. We booked this cruise with 3 other couples, all through a travel agent. 3 of us were able to get balconies side by side by side, the other had to settle for an inside room on a different deck.

Well, the couple in the middle recently got pregnant and because of regulations they can't go on the cruise now. So this week they canceled their room with hopes that the 4th couple could move into it. They had the middle balcony room! The 4th couple has tried dealing with the travel agent to get the room, but they are not seeing it yet. We called Royal directly and they said they can't help us because we booked through a travel agent. This was disappointing because this is our 5th 7 day+ cruise with them in the last few years and we're bring new customers along.

I realize this is an unusual scenario but wondering if anyone has any advise on how to get the 4th couple into the middle balcony room! We even asked the travel agent if we could move one of the other balcony rooms over and they said it would be another $600!

Just now, carlosalonsor said:

Just let it go, I don't think it worth the hassle. Being one room apart is not that bad. Enjoy your cruise! 

I don't think they are worried about the 2 couples that are remaining in the <no longer connected> balconies.  It sounded to me as if they are trying to move the 4th couple, who was stranded off somewhere else, into the balcony room vacated by couple #2.....at which point they would re-unite as a 3-connected-balcony trio.

Just now, royalbob16 said:

Yes, sorry thought that was a given. We were really excited about having the one big balcony!

to me it was totally a given lol.. I understand and I wish your friends would of canceled it a better way.. A better way would of been talking to the 4th couple, asking if they want to move, then doing a conference call with the agent so they could call Royal and get the rooms switched before the balcony room went back into general inventory... Its very possible that now that Balcony room is already taken and nothing can be done.. I am sorry you are going through this I totally get why you want one big balcony.. 

2 minutes ago, royalbob16 said:

Yes, sorry thought that was a given. We were really excited about having the one big balcony!

As Twangster said, this would basically be a re-booking.  I think that, perhaps, you were hoping that couple #4 could just slip into couple #2's cabin and do a even trade-off.  Unfortunately, it does not work like that.  They would have to rebook into couple #2's cabin and it would be repriced not only from an inside to a balcony, but also at the prevailing rate.  To be honest, $92 is a great price to move from an inside to a balcony !  I think it's a bargain and if they can manage to regain couple #2's location so that you are again a 3-some, that is a great outcome.  Good luck.  I hope it works out.

3 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

As Twangster said, this would basically be a re-booking.  I think that, perhaps, you were hoping that couple #4 could just slip into couple #2's cabin and do a even trade-off.  Unfortunately, it does not work like that.  They would have to rebook into couple #2's cabin and it would be repriced not only from an inside to a balcony, but also at the prevailing rate.  To be honest, $92 is a great price to move from an inside to a balcony !  I think it's a bargain and if they can manage to regain couple #2's location so that you are again a 3-some, that is a great outcome.  Good luck.  I hope it works out.

Agree $92 to upgrade is a great price.. They should of went with this option.. 

20 minutes ago, royalbob16 said:

We even asked the travel agent if we could move one of the other balcony rooms over and they said it would be another $600!

If all cabins are in the same specific category there shouldn't be a charge to move one cabin over.  If they are all 4D balconies for example. 

If you have an 8D balcony and the middle cabin is a 4D balcony then a charge may apply based on prevailing rates.  

What is your specific balcony category and what is the specific balcony category of the middle cabin?

15 minutes ago, twangster said:

If all cabins are in the same specific category there shouldn't be a charge to move one cabin over.  If they are all 4D balconies for example. 

If you have an 8D balcony and the middle cabin is a 4D balcony then a charge may apply based on prevailing rates.  

What is your specific balcony category and what is the specific balcony category of the middle cabin?

Here are our categories:

3D - Balcony Cabin 1
4D - Balcony Cabin 2 (vacated)
3D - Balcony Cabin 3

4U - Inside Cabin

Ah, there's the rub.  Different categories, hence the charge to move one over.  

Unfortunately nothing can be done about that, the 4D can only be acquired at today's prevailing rate.  

Keep an eye on it though, prices within a specific category can change over time.

For example, when the current "Flash" sale is over, the 4D cabin *might* be a different price.

3 minutes ago, VinceC said:

And did you notice she came on the blog just to rant and has never posted before.   She has 10 posts and they are all in that one topic.

She did "Like" one of my comments though, which I thought was a little odd, oh well, as another one time poster recently posted, cruising may not be for them.

1 hour ago, VinceC said:

But she said she was a traveler, and this is not the first time on a cruise.   If she was that familiar with travel and cruising she would have been able to decipher what was going on.  What a loser... 

Wow! You may disagree with someone but calling him/she a loser isn’t cool.