Embarkation Day Carryon- Is my bag safe?

Carley

My husband and I leave tomorrow for a 3 day cruise on Navigator of the Seas. We plan to embark early to get our vacation started! My question is- While we are swimming in the pool, are our bags (with cameras and cell phones) safe from theft? Any tips appreciated!

15 minutes ago, Carley said:

While we are swimming in the pool, are our bags (with cameras and cell phones) safe from theft?

I think so. Or let me put it this way, we leave our bags on the chair on embarkation day while we enjoy a swim. 

I'd advise to keep the bags within vision of whatever pool you are at and keep bags closed, etc. 

24 minutes ago, Carley said:

My husband and I leave tomorrow for a 3 day cruise on Navigator of the Seas. We plan to embark early to get our vacation started! My question is- While we are swimming in the pool, are our bags (with cameras and cell phones) safe from theft? Any tips appreciated!

For future reference, try one of these Kyss Bags. They lock around your chair and the zippers also lock with an easy wrap around chain and combination lock.

image.png.745d5aaf3816122407ed1aeb4f805ad7.png

Hi @Carley, welcome to the forums!

I'll second what @Matt noted, but also add that if you or your husband are nearsighted then you probably should figure on wearing your glasses while in the pool so you can keep a clear view of your bag. Other option is to take turns in the pool while one of you stays in the chair.

The ships have much more extensive security camera setups than you might first believe. Check out the ceiling struts in the Solarium, or the poles and other structure ringing the outdoor pool area; you'll be surprised by how many small / discrete cameras are around! So if the worst happened and your bag went missing, you could report it to ship's security and I'd bet dollars to donuts that they would track it down without too much difficulty.

Agreed....I would say you will be ok. Obviously there is always a chance..but with security around, cameras etc I wouldn't be too worried about it. We always have a small bag to throw our small odds and ends in and we don't worry at all about leaving  it on a chair.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

The ships have much more extensive security camera setups than you might first believe. Check out the ceiling struts in the Solarium, or the poles and other structure ringing the outdoor pool area; you'll be surprised by how many small / discrete cameras are around!

This is good info! thx

You are going to want a waterproof lanyard eventually--for other reasons.  Thus, you could lock your bags with a luggage lock & key, put the key and set sail pass in your waterproof lanyard container, and eliminate worries.  I have heard of thefts from Coco Cay bags but don't have experience by the pool.  We generally swim one at a time, but usually there are other things to do before 1PM when rooms open.  If you sign up for the Key Program, you can drop off your carry-ons.

Sorry for this diversion, but @tiny260, in another thread you said "We all have to be vigilant with how we spend our money and make good educated choices, otherwise we'll be giving our bank account information to a Saudi Prince"

If you've had any dealings with Citi, then he probably already has your account number. Just do a search on Prince Alwaleed bin Talal. Was, and I think still is, one of Citicorp's largest shareholders.

6 hours ago, Carley said:

We always do this and never had an issue. Like others have said, every square inch of these ships are monitored w/ security cameras. If someone was foolish enough to steal your bag they would most certainly get busted quick by security. 

1 hour ago, Skid said:

Sorry for this diversion, but @tiny260, in another thread you said "We all have to be vigilant with how we spend our money and make good educated choices, otherwise we'll be giving our bank account information to a Saudi Prince"

If you've had any dealings with Citi, then he probably already has your account number. Just do a search on Prince Alwaleed bin Talal. Was, and I think still is, one of Citicorp's largest shareholders.

Now that's funny...