Stateroom Attendant Issues

Two of my kids, age 21 and 19 are on board Allure this week. They embarked on Sunday. This is their first cruise without my wife and me (it's killing me that I am not on board with them). They have been on several cruises with us and have done a great job planning this trip with some of their friends. They Facetimed me last night explaining issues with their stateroom attendant.

When they entered their room on embarkation day, they found it to be dusty with hair balls on the floor and in the bathroom, and generally not clean and ready. They also described some slime in one of the drawers in the bathroom. They said it definitely wasn't spilled shampoo. I'm kind of grossed out by that.

Since they hadn't seen their stateroom attendant by later in the evening on embarkation day, they went to Guest Services to complain. Yesterday, they said the attendant complained back to them that she was in trouble over it as well as complaining that one of the rooms the group was in had a do not disturb sign on and she could go in and do work. Very disappointing.

I recommended that if they were uncomfortable working out the issues directly with the stateroom attendant that they go back to Guest Services and request that another attendant be assigned to their room as well as to go to the loyalty ambassador to see if they could get additional advice on how to handle this. I also told them to write everything down and share it in the final survey.

They booked the trip with MEI, who have been great, but I wonder if a travel agent intervention at this point would be effective or appropriate.

I would love to see any other opinions on how to approach this without it destroying their experience.

10 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

the attendant complained back to them that she was in trouble over it as well as complaining that one of the rooms the group was in had a do not disturb sign on and she could go in and do work

BS.  Even a "Do Not Disturb" sign from embarkation - disembarkation would not prevent the attendant from cleaning the room after it had been vacated.

Too bad if she's in trouble.  She should be.

25 minutes ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

Sorry to hear about your children's experience.

Personally, I would not have escalated to Guest Services that quickly.  I would have written a note in the room for the attendant to take care of it before I returned.   

I would hide my toothbrush.

Thanks. I would have advised them of that if they hadn't already gone to Guest Services. I sort of wish they tried to have a conversation with the attendant first, but they are learning, and overall I am proud of how they're handling things. I think it's the first time, they didn't see an attendant not long after entering their rooms. They entered a few minutes after 1 pm on Sunday and didn't see her all that day. I can't think of a time I hadn't seen my attendant relatively soon after getting in a room.

9 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

Thanks. I would have advised them of that if they hadn't already gone to Guest Services. I sort of wish they tried to have a conversation with the attendant first, but they are learning, and overall I am proud of how they're handling things. I think it's the first time, they didn't see an attendant not long after entering their rooms. They entered a few minutes after 1 pm on Sunday and didn't see her all that day. I can't think of a time I hadn't seen my attendant relatively soon after getting in a room.

As long as they are safe and having a great time!  Hope they enjoy the rest of their cruise.

42 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

The first day is always hectic, and you just want a clean room to come back to. If they hadn't been able to find their attendant yet, what can they do? Have to go somewhere...and Guest Services is the logical option. That's where I would have gone in their situation. Not their fault they couldn't find their attendant and just wanted a clean room to go back to.

15 hours ago, Zacharius said:

The first day is always hectic, and you just want a clean room to come back to. If they hadn't been able to find their attendant yet, what can they do? Have to go somewhere...and Guest Services is the logical option. That's where I would have gone in their situation. Not their fault they couldn't find their attendant and just wanted a clean room to go back to.

One viable option would not be going directly to guest services, but to interact with any of the stateroom attendants in the hall.  It is very easy to find any of them in the hall near the room and just ask if they are covering your room.  If not, mention you wanted to meet your attendant and share the issues.  They all work in close proximity to each other so usually the message travels quickly.  

Jay, with this being your kids first cruise by themselves, they did a reasonable thing.  But wanted to point out that there are usually different avenues available.

The attendants do have help getting the cabins ready and sometimes this is their first day in that zone after a change (or even returning to ship for the start of a new contract period). But your attendant is still responsible so my tact is usually the floor supervisor since they should look into what went wrong and have the resources to make it right. 

6 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

@DunkelBierJay any updates?  How are things going?  Jane

They texted me some pics last night and it’s just so unusual compared to our experience on previous cruises. The attendant’s service and mood seems to have improved...I wish none of it happened because we have loved each attendant we had in the past.