Where do I want to go???

Pooch

We have only sailed twice and only on RCCL's smallest ships (Majesty and Empress).   I was thinking about Cuba next year but guess that isn't happening.  So now I'm looking at eastern or southern Caribbean.  I want to sail out of Florida to make it easy for my daughter to join us.  She has been to the Bahamas several times and has no desire to return (although my husband and I have not been).  I'm iffy about Perfect Day at Coco Cay.  But it looks like one of these would almost have to be in the itinerary.  I suppose nothing says we have to go ashore if we are not inclined.

We would like better entertainment options than our previous 2 cruises and perhaps more dining choices than MDR and Windjammer.  My husband is spoiled and will only sail in a suite.  I am trying not to break the bank.

Ok - GO!!!!

ABC Islands on Explorer in the fall/winter of 2020. 

Explorer is getting AMPED early in 2020 and eventually comes to Florida in November of next year.  Mariner and Navigator are awesome after their AMP and I expect no less from Explorer.    

Some of the 5 day Explorer itineraries include Perfect Day but most Explorer itineraries do not.  

6 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

I prefer the Southern islands but out of Florida I think those are longer than 7, I might be wrong. I've been on the eastern so many times they don't excite me as much.

When I sail the Southern islands I go out of San Juan and they are 7 day, I have a B2B in 2020 with 2 different itineraries.  

+1 :27_sunglasses:

23 minutes ago, twangster said:

I would also add a travel agent would be a great resource in helping to find the best ship and sail date for you.

MEI Travel sponsors this site and has many great agents to assist with these types of questions.  They charge no fee for their service.

Thanks, I have reached out to an MEI agent but was given almost no direction.  I can look on RCCL's website and see itineraries and dates myself.  I need help deciding which ship and why, which ports, what does each have to offer?  I've gotten none of this from the agent (and this is my second try with MEI)

Also I don't see Explorer of the Seas on any Caribbean itinerary for late 2020.

I put in another vote for ABC.  We've been to A & C twice but not B yet.  Hoping to get there in 2021.  Also, there is Barbados, Antigua, St. Kitts, the more southern islands in the Eastern Caribbean area. 

Gone are the days of sitting across a desk from a TA, having them help actually plan your vacation.  I think most nowadays (in my experience) expect us to come to them with the plan and they book it and take it from there.  Other than my local AAA office, I don't think there is a travel agent office any in my area.  

Explorer may be in dry dock during the period you are searching?  

In terms of ship, I would try Voyager or freedom class... Less of a culture shock after little ships.  I'm in my little ship trifecta right now so I haven't looked at the itineraries of the bigger ships.  I loved freedom but it will be great ampef.

In terms of itinerary, the southern Caribbean is my favorite.  I would think if you do Western Caribbean you can avoid cococay, though even just a beach day there sounds wonderful!  Jane

Did some more research here for my next question.  How do I find Royal Class(Sea, Sky. Star) sailings?  Not sure I asked that correctly.  My hubby is a suite snob & I think maybe the value of the complementary gratuities, drink package and specialty dining might be right up his alley!

Just now, Pooch said:

Did some more research here for my next question.  How do I find Royal Class(Sea, Sky. Star) sailings?  Not sure I asked that correctly.  My hubby is a suite snob & I think maybe the value of the complementary gratuities, drink package and specialty dining might be right up his alley!

Star Class will only be on Oasis and Quantum class ships..so start there.  Star Class is the only one that includes everything.

If you do a mock booking, go to Royal Suite class, you should be presented with a list of rooms available for the sailing, IE Crown Loft suite, Owners Suite, etc., then click on "View Details", it will open up an expanded window, it should say either Sea, Sky or Star about midway down the page with what is included with each class.

As @AshleyDillo says, only Star class gets you everything and those rooms are limited on each ship, again only Oasis and Quantum class ships offer Star Class.

That I know of no Oasis or Quantum class ship sails to the Southern Caribbean. Usually Eastern and Western or catch one in the Mediterranean or a Transatlantic or Transpacific cruise.

There is a Quantum class now in Alaska. 

+1 for the Southern Caribbean. 

We did a 9nt Southern Caribbean out of PoM in April on Navigator.  ABC Islands just have a different vibe compared to the usual Eastern/Western Caribbean ports.  Namely, little to zero vendors harassing you at the terminal.  Great snorkeling/diving in Bonaire.