vegetarian food on the symphony

usafun

Every ship I have been on has had vegetarian dishes, but I can't remember if I have seen a burger.  Other guests may be able to answer that question, and I've seen various menus floating around or accessible through the smartphone app that RCI provides.  The WindJammer seems to have the broadest range of foods.  

My Time Dining is in the Main Dining Room, and they do provide vegetarian dishes.  Additionally, your waiter can usually arrange for something not on the menu if it is "doable".  Just ask. (The waiter is motivated to receive a 10 rating on the Post-cruise survey, so the staff work hard to accommodate you.)

There are a ton of vegetarian options for both WJ and MDR. I'm not sure about veggie burgers, but you can check both Johnny Rockets and Playmakers menus. As mentioned above RCCL is very good at making accommodations for food requests. I would just ask in advance or ASAP as you get on board. You can check out sample menus on threads here for more info.

Enjoy your cruise! 

We are about 90% vegetarian, and 10% meat eaters.  Pretty much one meal a week at home, maybe every couple of days on a cruise.  I have to say there are not a LOT of vegetarian options in the MDR.  There will be at least one entree on the menu every night, but more than that is pretty rare.  The apps will have more options than the entrees.  There will be a Moroccan Couscous one night, there will be an Eggplant Parm one night; those two I remember as I order them each time.  I gotta say, most of the vegetarian options are pasta based, which we don't enjoy as we try to stay as gluten free as possible.  The WJ will have more vegetarian options.  Most of the Indian dishes my hubby enjoys are meatless.  There is supposedly Indian choices you can get in the MDR - Matt knows more about that.  

Some people have posted pictures of the MDR menus in their live blogs, off the top of my head I can't remember who but I'll come back after looking around a bit and try to link back to some of them.   I've never actually taken pictures of them myself. 

@Matt a general "sample" MDR menu section may be a great addition to your menu tab at the top of the page. 

Okay, here's a few of the pictures I found.  This is from an Allure sailing in 2019, courtesy of @JohnK6404's live blog.  You didn't mention what ship you are on, but if you do a searchin the live blog thread you may find pictures from your ship.  But the menus are pretty much standard on all ships.  We did a 12 night on Serenade last year, and only repeated two menus, so they have at least 10 to choose from.  If you eat seafood (I do not) you'll find you have a few more choices than I do.

This one has polenta which is really good.  Forgot about this entree! 

BA714193-3041-485F-880E-AC99F6D4D852.thumb.jpeg.ff619295aa77f79b3f2f5b5b8c9df4f2.jpeg

This one has the couscous I mentioned: 

4D18256C-656D-4D7C-806B-F11F5E39CE15.thumb.jpeg.8fcdfe43fa51326881a16ed47b35a1fc.jpeg

And another, with a mushroom risotto:

80644904-DB96-40B8-A96D-EB18F7337504.thumb.jpeg.7076cf7f7c1bc6717edd7d1030e844ed.jpeg

No vegetarian entrees marked this night:

FA436FEE-B777-4470-8D26-31F0BE266787.thumb.jpeg.333fd812c3e6fdf40f9c0059d2bd2773.jpeg

I wasn't a fan of the korma:

5ABD64D7-FF6E-40A1-A47A-2F9FD8ED18CA.thumb.jpeg.d2b435b596292f23a063da2c490ce931.jpeg

Pasta tonight:

78139CEF-BE57-4274-A08B-4664D035CC5C.thumb.jpeg.6c515c44d3903b5cf74dc31357471fab.jpeg

Cheese tortellini doesn't have notation, so must be something hiding in the dish:

98465AA6-46A2-4577-B162-EB4323BFC41A.thumb.jpeg.2bb10bb9bfdfe8bd76d67c6dbe41d187.jpeg

23 hours ago, FManke said:

There are a ton of vegetarian options for both WJ and MDR. I'm not sure about veggie burgers, but you can check both Johnny Rockets and Playmakers menus. As mentioned above RCCL is very good at making accommodations for food requests. I would just ask in advance or ASAP as you get on board. You can check out sample menus on threads here for more info.

Enjoy your cruise! 

WJ has the most vegetarian choices, in our opinion.  

I don't eat beef or chicken and was always surprised not seeing a veggie burger being offered with current times (although the above poster says otherwise so maybe I just missed it).  Having said that, there are tons of veggie options in the Windjammer, MDR, and also places like Park Cafe, Cafe Promenade (usually has some kind of Mediterranean or egg sandwich), El Loco Fresh (best cheese quesadillas) and you can also get a yummy pasta as say Jamies (didn't try 150 Central Park so not sure about there....and Chops probably isn't best pick if you don't eat fish).  Didn't have lunch or dinner at Solarium BIstro but would imagine they would have lots of options.  Breakfast also has tons of options at Windjammer and Solarium (which are similar buffets)

7 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

I don't eat beef or chicken and was always surprised not seeing a veggie burger being offered with current times (although the above poster says otherwise so maybe I just missed it).  Having said that, there are tons of veggie options in the Windjammer, MDR, and also places like Park Cafe, Cafe Promenade (usually has some kind of Mediterranean or egg sandwich), El Loco Fresh (best cheese quesadillas) and you can also get a yummy pasta as say Jamies (didn't try 150 Central Park so not sure about there....and Chops probably isn't best pick if you don't eat fish).  Didn't have lunch or dinner at Solarium BIstro but would imagine they would have lots of options.  Breakfast also has tons of options at Windjammer and Solarium (which are similar buffets)

If you look at the MDR menus I copied above, LOTS is not the appropriate word there.  One menu has NO vegetarian entrees at all.  It's a shame we have to seek out choices from one restaurant to another.  But lets add a new BBQ joint...another place we can't eat at.  If you eat seafood, yes there are more choices.  But I would never give Royal a "lots" to a vegetarian.  We eat dairy, my husband eats seafood but I don't, and we maybe eat one egg a week if that.  But I feel for the vegans...as they have minimal choices with RCCL.  Lots of fruit plates, and that's about it for them.  Oh, and a salad with no dressing.

Just now, KathyC said:

If you look at the MDR menus I copied above, LOTS is not the appropriate word there.  One menu has NO vegetarian entrees at all.  It's a shame we have to seek out choices from one restaurant to another.  But lets add a new BBQ joint...another place we can't eat at.  If you eat seafood, yes there are more choices.  But I would never give Royal a "lots" to a vegetarian.  We eat dairy, my husband eats seafood but I don't, and we maybe eat one egg a week if that.  But I feel for the vegans...as they have minimal choices with RCCL.  Lots of fruit plates, and that's about it for them. 

Yes sorry...I agree with you.  Didn't mean to be misleading.  I eat fish so was thinking of more options ontop of the daily item.  But after I posted, I did look at the menus above and did see just one straight vegetarian (and surprised one night had nothing - although I'm sure you can always request something).  Overall around the ship you can find, but true...MDR mostly offers beef, chicken and fish items.

6 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Yes sorry...I agree with you.  Didn't mean to be misleading.  I eat fish so was thinking of more options ontop of the daily item.  But after I posted, I did look at the menus above and did see just one straight vegetarian (and surprised one night had nothing - although I'm sure you can always request something).  Overall around the ship you can find, but true...MDR mostly offers beef, chicken and fish items.

Not referring to you specifically, but it's very frustrating when carnivores (LOL) say "oh yeah, you have tons of choices" when we don't.  Most people don't realize how very little there are.  I actually had one person say to me once "just order three bowls of french onion soup - it's so amazing I could make a meal out of it!"  Like a true meat-eater, they have no idea that french onion soup is made with beef broth.  That's why there is no symbol next to it.  Cream of something soup?  Anything with the words "cream of" means dairy.  RCCL makes such huge quantities of food at once, you can't get the potato soup without bacon in it.  It's not like a land restaurant that makes food in small quantities.  We go to the MDR expecting to be told what we are eating that evening.  

I don't go to a steakhouse expecting multiple choices, but I do expect more than one at a regular restaurant.  There are so many things you can do with vegetables - I have a whole cookbook full of them - that RCCL truly lacks in this for us.  We're trying Celebrity in October; anxious to see how my choices will be there. 

We spent 30 days at sea in the last 12 months, four different ships in three different classes.  By this last seven night trip, we only went to the MDR three nights.  Tired of the same non-choices and just went to the Windjammer where could pick from more than one option.

RCCL is adding venues that it's guest want, like the new BBQ place. If everyone was clamoring for a vegetarian restaurant, they along with every other cruise line would be adding one. If other lines are, I'm not aware of it. I know this is frustrating  for you, but you have to remember that this is a choice you have made for yourself and I commend you for that, but it's not up to others to accommodate you. You have put these restrictions on yourself. Just like they don't have to accommodate my diabetes. I'm not comparing diabetes to vegetarianism, just the fact that I can relate to having limited choices, especially dessert, usually one sugar free dessert each night in the MDR.

The other thing that is hard for RCCL is trying to please everyone with different ideas of vegetarianism. I know "vegetarians" that don't eat meat, but eat fish, eggs and cheese. I know "vegetarians" that will eat foods that have beef or chicken bases in them as long as they don't have actual pieces of meat. What about vegans? What about raw food eaters? 

I think RCCL like all companies are trying to drive the most amount of people it can to it's product. In the end, you are not going to please everyone, as hard as they try.

Despite the hurdles, I hope you enjoy your cruise.

6 hours ago, FManke said:

RCCL is adding venues that it's guest want, like the new BBQ place. If everyone was clamoring for a vegetarian restaurant, they along with every other cruise line would be adding one. If other lines are, I'm not aware of it. I know this is frustrating  for you, but you have to remember that this is a choice you have made for yourself and I commend you for that, but it's not up to others to accommodate you. You have put these restrictions on yourself. Just like they don't have to accommodate my diabetes. I'm not comparing diabetes to vegetarianism, just the fact that I can relate to having limited choices, especially dessert, usually one sugar free dessert each night in the MDR.

The other thing that is hard for RCCL is trying to please everyone with different ideas of vegetarianism. I know "vegetarians" that don't eat meat, but eat fish, eggs and cheese. I know "vegetarians" that will eat foods that have beef or chicken bases in them as long as they don't have actual pieces of meat. What about vegans? What about raw food eaters? 

I think RCCL like all companies are trying to drive the most amount of people it can to it's product. In the end, you are not going to please everyone, as hard as they try.

Despite the hurdles, I hope you enjoy your cruise.

We've been cruising since 1992, not a new cruiser here.  I get that RCCL has to please the majority, but that doesn't mean the minority should be left out.  While the majority sits down, sees a full menu to choose from, most nights I see 1-2 apps and 1 entree. No variety, no choices.  They might as well not even give me a menu, but just bring out the one entree I can eat.  The menu I posted above with NO vegetarian options?  What am I supposed to eat that night?  Let's see...3 apps: the eggplant (even though I hate olives), fruit plate and a Caesar salad.  Okay, dinner done.  Maybe the waiter will triple the salad for me, bring it in a big bowl, so I have a meal too?  Or should I just sit and watch everyone else eat? I don't see how this is any choice at all.  This sends me to the Windjammer for cold buffet food.  I pay just as much as everyone else on the cruise, how is it wrong to expect there to be a meal in the dining room I can eat?  If we were vegan - I would not be cruising anymore, to be honest.  One of my biggest sources of protein - nuts - no where to be found on a ship. 

I'm pre-diabetic so I stay away from dessert most nights.  But I do enjoy the cheese & fig plate as I don't eat chemicals - aka sugar-free foods.  But at least there is one choice every night (plus the ice cream) if you want something.  We had a wonderful waiter on Serenade that would bring me a bowl of whatever veggie was on the side of the beef dish that night, as he knew I was unhappy with my food choices.  But on that 12 night cruise, even that got tired after awhile.  At home, we eat gluten-free as it bothers my acid reflux.  On a cruise, I bring along a big container of Rolaids so I can eat pasta - otherwise there's a couple more nights I have no entree choices for dinner.  I should just be thankful they use Caesar dressing without anchovies so I can have a salad every night? 

I'm the paying customer - if I can't get what I want for my money, my money goes elsewhere.  We'll be in Aquaclass on Celebrity, and from what I'm told Blu (their dedicated restaurant) will be a better match for me.  We shall see...if it costs me a bit more to eat, so be it.  Because right now I'm donating lots of money in uneaten food.  Plant-based eating is huge right now, at least in the New York City tri-state area where I live.  It's huge in California.  I wonder if cruises sailing from the west coast cater more to my lifestyle?  May be something to look into...

16 hours ago, KathyC said:

I'm the paying customer - if I can't get what I want for my money, my money goes elsewhere. 

I get this statement and agree whole heartedly. I do the same. I don't mean to be combative. It seems like you are unhappy and might have been for awhile with the situation. If this is correct, why do you continue to cruise on RCCL, as you show at least 3 more RC cruises coming up? It seems like other cruise lines might be better suited for your life style. If RCCL isn't willing or able to suit your needs, then they deserve to lose you as a customer.

Have you ever tried contacting someone at RCCL either before the cruise or once on board with your concerns? You can't be alone. Just because something isn't on the menu doesn't mean they couldn't provide you with a meal that you would enjoy. 

Whatever happens, I hope you find a resolution to your liking and enjoy your upcoming cruises. 

6 hours ago, FManke said:

I get this statement and agree whole heartedly. I do the same. I don't mean to be combative. It seems like you are unhappy and might have been for awhile with the situation. If this is correct, why do you continue to cruise on RCCL, as you show at least 3 more RC cruises coming up? It seems like other cruise lines might be better suited for your life style. If RCCL isn't willing or able to suit your needs, then they deserve to lose you as a customer.

Have you ever tried contacting someone at RCCL either before the cruise or once on board with your concerns? You can't be alone. Just because something isn't on the menu doesn't mean they couldn't provide you with a meal that you would enjoy. 

Whatever happens, I hope you find a resolution to your liking and enjoy your upcoming cruises. 

Thanks for the reminder to update my signature, LOL.  I'm a bit behind.  

I love RCCL - I just wish they offered more for me to eat.  Yes, we have mentioned this on our surveys over the past year or so.  I know things take time to change, and I don't expect overnight changes.  At this point we've only got group cruises booked with RCCL, and not really booking anything past that until after we try Celebrity.  Heck, now that we're old it may be more our speed anyway.  ;D 

• 2 weeks later...

@FManke I have to apologize as I didn't mean to be combative either.  You're not the first non-vegetarian to say there is plenty to eat but were the one that finally made the Jersey come out and make me comment a little too strong.  Anyway, as some on this board have met & sailed with me, I am normally a very nice person, LOL.  I've always been extremely non-combative but I think once I hit 50 I had been in Jersey long enough to start channeling their attitudes when I disagree with someone.  But it doesn't happen very often, I promise.  

Even though vegetarianism has been around for decades, it's still not completely accepted.  There are so many different types of reasons to eat vegetarian - heath reasons, ethical reasons, and there are so many different types of vegetarians, it's impossible to meet everyone's needs.  I get that.  But it's been around long enough that it shouldn't be that hard to put a couple meal choices on every menu.  Put a pasta primavera or a vegetable stir fry on the classics menu, instead of yet another animal-based choice.  That's all I'm asking for.  It's not like I'm coming in with "I'm doing a paleo-keto-south beach diet combo so you have to accommodate me, and make sure it's under 5 WW points while you're at it" type of request.  LOL  

Anyway, I wanted to apologize for coming on so strong.  It was directed to the heard one to many times comment, and to you personally. 

1 minute ago, KathyC said:

@FManke I have to apologize as I didn't mean to be combative either.  You're not the first non-vegetarian to say there is plenty to eat but were the one that finally made the Jersey come out and make me comment a little too strong.  Anyway, as some on this board have met & sailed with me, I am normally a very nice person, LOL.  I've always been extremely non-combative but I think once I hit 50 I had been in Jersey long enough to start channeling their attitudes when I disagree with someone.  But it doesn't happen very often, I promise.  

Even though vegetarianism has been around for decades, it's still not completely accepted.  There are so many different types of reasons to eat vegetarian - heath reasons, ethical reasons, and there are so many different types of vegetarians, it's impossible to meet everyone's needs.  I get that.  But it's been around long enough that it shouldn't be that hard to put a couple meal choices on every menu.  Put a pasta primavera or a vegetable stir fry on the classics menu, instead of yet another animal-based choice.  That's all I'm asking for.  It's not like I'm coming in with "I'm doing a paleo-keto-south beach diet combo so you have to accommodate me, and make sure it's under 5 WW points while you're at it" type of request.  LOL  

Anyway, I wanted to apologize for coming on so strong.  It was directed to the heard one to many times comment, and to you personally. 

No apology needed. I'm sure you deal with this all the time and it gets very frustrating. Although I eat meat, once in awhile,  I will go "vegetarian" for a meal or two. In that case I can usually find something that I would want to eat or just head to my go to place, a great local vegetarian Indian restaurant near us. That being said, I'm sure looking at the menus you provided, I would not be happy with a weeks worth of the same choices. 

Good luck and happy cruising!

13 minutes ago, KathyC said:

Don't apologize for your Jersey attitude, Kathy!!! I feel for you.  I can eat literally anything --- there are some things I choose not to, for personal taste, but DH & I have no food allergies, intolerances, etc. Whether or not we should eat all that we do -- well, that's a different story....

Traveling with my 2 DD's -- that's the problem.  1 has celiac, so must be gluten free -- although they were fairly accommodating, it still limits her choices, and because of cross contamination fears, plus not wanting to wait for special dishes to be brought out, we don't do WJ with her too much.  Other has ulcerative colitis, so that eliminates a lot of specific food categories (high fiber, fried, skins on fruits/veggies, etc), although, again, they were able to accommodate her reasonably well, and luckily, she's not too picky, so we were ok there.  We actually had more luck on RCCL than we do trying to find regular restaurants at home.  

I remember once (back in the 80's) going to a restaurant for lunch with my vegetarian friend, (she was ovo-lacto, so not as limited), and we couldn't find anything on the menu for her. Clueless waitress suggested a BLT -- and we just looked at her, & said, "You do realize that the B stands for Bacon, which is meat, right????"  She actually gets sick if she inadvertently gets cross contaminated with meat protein, so that's a real problem for her.  Same friend, I was hosting a bridal shower for her a few years later, & I was telling people I was having a hard time finding vegan recipes for her strictly vegan family members, & someone recommended quiche -- eggs & cream & cheese are all no-no's for vegans, so I had to say, "No, that won't work". 

6 hours ago, MaryCS62 said:

Don't apologize for your Jersey attitude, Kathy!!! I feel for you.  I can eat literally anything --- there are some things I choose not to, for personal taste, but DH & I have no food allergies, intolerances, etc. Whether or not we should eat all that we do -- well, that's a different story....

Traveling with my 2 DD's -- that's the problem.  1 has celiac, so must be gluten free -- although they were fairly accommodating, it still limits her choices, and because of cross contamination fears, plus not wanting to wait for special dishes to be brought out, we don't do WJ with her too much.  Other has ulcerative colitis, so that eliminates a lot of specific food categories (high fiber, fried, skins on fruits/veggies, etc), although, again, they were able to accommodate her reasonably well, and luckily, she's not too picky, so we were ok there.  We actually had more luck on RCCL than we do trying to find regular restaurants at home.  

I remember once (back in the 80's) going to a restaurant for lunch with my vegetarian friend, (she was ovo-lacto, so not as limited), and we couldn't find anything on the menu for her. Clueless waitress suggested a BLT -- and we just looked at her, & said, "You do realize that the B stands for Bacon, which is meat, right????"  She actually gets sick if she inadvertently gets cross contaminated with meat protein, so that's a real problem for her.  Same friend, I was hosting a bridal shower for her a few years later, & I was telling people I was having a hard time finding vegan recipes for her strictly vegan family members, & someone recommended quiche -- eggs & cream & cheese are all no-no's for vegans, so I had to say, "No, that won't work". 

Thankfully, I don't really have to deal with food allergies.  There are some foods I react to, like avocados, that I avoid but it's more of a digestive problem than an allergy.  Or maybe it's my body's way of reacting to the allergan?  IDK.  Never been formally tested, easier to avoid.

I had my gallbladder removed a few years back and that has changed what I eat as well.  Before surgery, there were so many foods I couldn't digest that I can now, like baby greens and deep green leaves.  Waiting too long for taking care of the gallbladder has caused other problems.  I have GERD with a hiatal hernia & acid reflux, and gluten really makes my insides burn, but again am not allergic so I can eat it.  I'll deal with the pocketful of Rolaids to have options to eat while cruising. 

My reasons for the plant-based diet are mostly for health reasons, but I completely choose not to eat seafood for ethical reasons.  I'm not thrilled with the death of any animal, but will eat meat only if I'm served it, and only a bite or two to be polite.  I have no issues with dairy or eggs, as long as they are organic (which you never find on a ship.)  My most recent blood work was not what I has been, another change that happened after that big 5-0.  So I have to monitor my cholesterol and glucose levels so much more than I ever have!  

It's amazing, as price per pound vegetables are so much cheaper than meats, you'd think the cruise lines would be itching to find another place to cut costs, by offering more vegetable based meal options.  Oh well...

I feel for your poor friend!  My husband has a small portion of his family that are strictly vegan, and one was pregnant so they had a vegan bridal shower.  The 10% vegans in attendance were trilled, the 10% vegetarians were okay with it, but the 80% carnivores did nothing but complain the entire time that there was nothing being served for "them" to eat.  I had to laugh, and I even said something to the 80 yr old who was complaining the loudest, that now you know how they feel when they go places, that there is nothing served for "them."  She shut up pretty quickly.  But it was so annoying, like it was a huge deal that you had to eat pasta and vegetable dishes, that the dip for the veggies platter wasn't dairy based, and the melted cheese on the eggplant parm was a vegan cheese, not mozzarella.  You could tell it was different, but it didn't taste terrible.  It was all traditional Italian dishes like eggplant parm, baked ziti, tossed salad with all sorts of marinated veggies like olives, peppers, artichokes. Stuff these complainers eat all the time without even realizing it's vegetarian or vegan.  Never mind there was all the regular finger foods, like chips and salsa (and guac), pretzels, potato chips, veggie platter,  and other "regular" foods like pasta salad.  So they were missing out on a piece of meat.  Get over it!  Sigh.  And the vegan cake was pretty darn good, I must say. Better than I thought it would be. 

You'll find a ton of options.  My spouse and I are both vegetarian (though if you catch me on a cruise, you may find me having sushi once in a while) and have sailed a number of ships, including Symphony. 

There are some options listed on menus in the MDR, specialty venues, the Windammer, etc, but ultimately the key is communication.  If you don't see something you like, if you're like to have something adjusted - just ask!  Also, don't trust the signage in the WJ.  I've seen plenty of vegetarian things that aren't marked, and occasionally, non-vegetarian items marked vegetarian.

If I have a question about whether or not something is vegetarian, I just ask.  If there is any uncertainty, have them check with a chef or officer.  I also find it helpful to find an Indian crew member, as whether vegetarian or not, they're likely to be well-aware of what is and is not vegetarian in terms of ingredients.

I've got a number of other tips here: https://www.cruisehabit.com/how-request-vegan-vegatarian-gluten-free-or-kosher-meals-your-next-cruise

4 hours ago, monorailmedic said:

You'll find a ton of options.  My spouse and I are both vegetarian (though if you catch me on a cruise, you may find me having sushi once in a while) and have sailed a number of ships, including Symphony. 

There are some options listed on menus in the MDR, specialty venues, the Windammer, etc, but ultimately the key is communication.  If you don't see something you like, if you're like to have something adjusted - just ask!  Also, don't trust the signage in the WJ.  I've seen plenty of vegetarian things that aren't marked, and occasionally, non-vegetarian items marked vegetarian.

If I have a question about whether or not something is vegetarian, I just ask.  If there is any uncertainty, have them check with a chef or officer.  I also find it helpful to find an Indian crew member, as whether vegetarian or not, they're likely to be well-aware of what is and is not vegetarian in terms of ingredients.

I've got a number of other tips here: https://www.cruisehabit.com/how-request-vegan-vegatarian-gluten-free-or-kosher-meals-your-next-cruise

I tried the whole communication thing - lol - on our 12 night Serenade and since I don't like Indian food the best they could offer me was the veggie sides from the meat dishes that were being served that night.  One night, I ate a bowl of buttered carrots and broccoli.  I kid you not.  The waiter felt bad, and brought me a second bowl of the same, thinking more would make it better.  He did offer buttered spaghetti.  Uh, no thank you.  I'm not five.  I finally let him bring me yet another Caesar salad...but maybe I should've let him bring the spaghetti and a bowl of carrots & broccoli, and I could've mixed them together myself to make a quasi pasta primavera.  Tony is lucky as he loves Indian food and has a lot more choices than I do.  

14 hours ago, KathyC said:

I tried the whole communication thing - lol - on our 12 night Serenade and since I don't like Indian food the best they could offer me was the veggie sides from the meat dishes that were being served that night.  One night, I ate a bowl of buttered carrots and broccoli.  I kid you not.  The waiter felt bad, and brought me a second bowl of the same, thinking more would make it better.  He did offer buttered spaghetti.  Uh, no thank you.  I'm not five.  I finally let him bring me yet another Caesar salad...but maybe I should've let him bring the spaghetti and a bowl of carrots & broccoli, and I could've mixed them together myself to make a quasi pasta primavera.  Tony is lucky as he loves Indian food and has a lot more choices than I do.  

Wow, surprised to hear that.  I've never experienced anything like that on any line (not doubting your experience at all).

Did you ask for anything specific?  It sounds like the entire staff that sailing lacked the most basic of creative instincts, but you joked yourself about pasta primavera - and while not the most creative dish I'm sure they could have made that so.  

Very bizarre situation in my experience of 56 nights on RCI so far (and hundreds on other lines).

2 hours ago, monorailmedic said:

Wow, surprised to hear that.  I've never experienced anything like that on any line (not doubting your experience at all).

Did you ask for anything specific?  It sounds like the entire staff that sailing lacked the most basic of creative instincts, but you joked yourself about pasta primavera - and while not the most creative dish I'm sure they could have made that so.  

Very bizarre situation in my experience of 56 nights on RCI so far (and hundreds on other lines).

Many nights I just ordered the vegetarian meal on the menu, but there were a couple nights that there is no vegetarian option.  I did tell the waiter I didn't eat meat, and once he figured out that it meant seafood too, he mentioned there was an Indian dish he could bring.  After I said I don't like Indian food...he just offered to bring the veggie sides from the meat dishes or plain pasta.  He and the assistant were great waiters - best we've actually ever had (that I can recall, it's been a long time) so I think if he had another option he would've offered it.

4 hours ago, KathyC said:

Many nights I just ordered the vegetarian meal on the menu, but there were a couple nights that there is no vegetarian option.  I did tell the waiter I didn't eat meat, and once he figured out that it meant seafood too, he mentioned there was an Indian dish he could bring.  After I said I don't like Indian food...he just offered to bring the veggie sides from the meat dishes or plain pasta.  He and the assistant were great waiters - best we've actually ever had (that I can recall, it's been a long time) so I think if he had another option he would've offered it.

I totally think you can suggest stuff and ask for it.  I didn't think to ask for the stir fry tofu but now I will have Madison ask for it next cruise.  I think pasta primavera is totally askable for.  I think you can ask for tofu every night.  Kathy, you have been on way more cruises than I have, so totally tell me to shut up if you want, but I would suggest being seriously pro-active on day one.  Go talk to the mdr as soon as you guys board and talk extensively to your waiter night one.  Look for ideas in the windjammer and then ask for them as a vegetarian option the next night.  Collect ideas that have worked in the past and ask for them all.  Hope something works...I know you may have tried all these things but maybe you will get lucky and something will click and work great!!!  Jane

1 hour ago, mom2mybugs said:

I totally think you can suggest stuff and ask for it.  I didn't think to ask for the stir fry tofu but now I will have Madison ask for it next cruise.  I think pasta primavera is totally askable for.  I think you can ask for tofu every night.  Kathy, you have been on way more cruises than I have, so totally tell me to shut up if you want, but I would suggest being seriously pro-active on day one.  Go talk to the mdr as soon as you guys board and talk extensively to your waiter night one.  Look for ideas in the windjammer and then ask for them as a vegetarian option the next night.  Collect ideas that have worked in the past and ask for them all.  Hope something works...I know you may have tried all these things but maybe you will get lucky and something will click and work great!!!  Jane

We do MTD, so we'd have to have that convo more than once, but sometimes we do get the same wait staff each evening, like on Serenade.  It's only been in the last 12 months that we've moved over to plant-based eating, with our Grandeur sailing in April the first cruise we tried to be completely meat-free.  We started on Adventure last May, to see how it would work and by trying out the menu choices, to Serenade with figuring out what in the WJ we could eat (dinner is the only problem - the rest of the day is easy) and how to better eat in the MDR.  On Brilliance 4 night in January, we were with a large group so ate specialty two evenings, where I only ate the sides (and no one even noticed!), ordered the vegetarian meal in the MDR one night, and for the Super Bowl ate in the WJ. 

Oh, and I don't eat tofu.  Soy and soybeans are highly genetically modified and thus not something we eat.  At home, we eat clean, which means no processed foods.  I pretty much make almost everything from scratch, and what is not from scratch is organic.  Most foods in my house are in their natural form, and I take it from there to prepare my meals.  While I'm still not into making my own almond milk or grinding my own flour, I do choose ingredients as unprocessed as possible. 

While traveling we do have to eat differently, but still choose meals made from whole ingredients as much as we can.  On Summit we're in Aquaclass, with our dining room being Blu, which is a healthier dining option and I know my choices will be greater.  We got an amazing deal on this sailing, and am pretty sure we won't be able to afford too many cruises in that class, it's worth a try.  Our next RCCL cruise is in December on Oasis.  We'll see how it goes that week.  We do have set dining time, but are sailing with a group so not sure what's going to happen at mealtime.  We were given a specialty dining for two from the TA, so we are planning on Izumi hibatchi where I'll get double veggies in place of the meat and be a happy happy cruiser that night!  ? 

And I'd never tell you to shut up Jane!  

12 minutes ago, KathyC said:

We do MTD, so we'd have to have that convo more than once, but sometimes we do get the same wait staff each evening, like on Serenade.  It's only been in the last 12 months that we've moved over to plant-based eating, with our Grandeur sailing in April the first cruise we tried to be completely meat-free.  We started on Adventure last May, to see how it would work and by trying out the menu choices, to Serenade with figuring out what in the WJ we could eat (dinner is the only problem - the rest of the day is easy) and how to better eat in the MDR.  On Brilliance 4 night in January, we were with a large group so ate specialty two evenings, where I only ate the sides (and no one even noticed!), ordered the vegetarian meal in the MDR one night, and for the Super Bowl ate in the WJ. 

Oh, and I don't eat tofu.  Soy and soybeans are highly genetically modified and thus not something we eat.  At home, we eat clean, which means no processed foods.  I pretty much make almost everything from scratch, and what is not from scratch is organic.  Most foods in my house are in their natural form, and I take it from there to prepare my meals.  While I'm still not into making my own almond milk or grinding my own flour, I do choose ingredients as unprocessed as possible. 

While traveling we do have to eat differently, but still choose meals made from whole ingredients as much as we can.  On Summit we're in Aquaclass, with our dining room being Blu, which is a healthier dining option and I know my choices will be greater.  We got an amazing deal on this sailing, and am pretty sure we won't be able to afford too many cruises in that class, it's worth a try.  Our next RCCL cruise is in December on Oasis.  We'll see how it goes that week.  We do have set dining time, but are sailing with a group so not sure what's going to happen at mealtime.  We were given a specialty dining for two from the TA, so we are planning on Izumi hibatchi where I'll get double veggies in place of the meat and be a happy happy cruiser that night!  ? 

And I'd never tell you to shut up Jane!  

I didn't think about the clean vs tofu.  I bet though that you could ask for veggie stir fry or maybe ask for izumi type options?  I'm brainstorming lol!  I am so glad I don't have to deal with the difficulties but that is awesome that you have turned your eating around so well.  I would love for my vegetarian daughter to do half as well!  Jane

22 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

I didn't think about the clean vs tofu.  I bet though that you could ask for veggie stir fry or maybe ask for izumi type options?  I'm brainstorming lol!  I am so glad I don't have to deal with the difficulties but that is awesome that you have turned your eating around so well.  I would love for my vegetarian daughter to do half as well!  Jane

It's so easy to eat clean when eating vegan, as long as you avoid the non-dairy products.  So eating vegetarian is not all that different.  Depending on what animal "products" you are willing to eat, like eggs or dairy, it's easy to avoid processed foods.  I do eat eggs, as they are unfertilized and thus not killing anything.  I will eat cheese, as the cows are only milked but not killed for their milk (even thought I'm not thrilled with how the milk gets there in the first place.)  I don't use dairy milk except for a tad in my coffee once daily.  

Was on the Grandeur of the Seas from June 13 to June 22. I specifically asked our waiter in the MDR if there was a special menu for vegetarians/vegans ( I had heard there was) and he did confirm it. Remember, you have to ask for this menu specifically. 

He, being very helpful, offered me a copy but did say they do change from time to time. I would think this is company wide so enjoy.

This is the Dinner Menu.

GofS Vegan.JPG

Wow, thanks @711Dave!  Weird that we were on Adventure, Serenade, Brilliance and Grandeur within the last 12 months and not once was this mentioned.  We were just on Grandeur April 25-May 2.  Our waiters on Grandeur stunk, so that may have something to do with that one.  But after 12 nights on Serenade...if they had it I can't believe it wasn't offered as an alternative to bringing me a plate of the veggie sides. 

Looking at the choices though...Sweet & Sour Chicken Chunks?  Ummm...not vegetarian.  LOL 

On 6/30/2019 at 8:48 PM, 711Dave said:

Was on the Grandeur of the Seas from June 13 to June 22. I specifically asked our waiter in the MDR if there was a special menu for vegetarians/vegans ( I had heard there was) and he did confirm it. Remember, you have to ask for this menu specifically. 

He, being very helpful, offered me a copy but did say they do change from time to time. I would think this is company wide so enjoy.

This is the Dinner Menu.

GofS Vegan.JPG

I wish I had known about this before my April cruise! This is why I love this blog and its community! ❤️??

On 6/30/2019 at 7:48 PM, 711Dave said:

This is the Dinner Menu.

GofS Vegan.JPG

I'm screen shotting this for our 12 day on vision!  My 16 year old would kill for the burger and fries.  I truly wonder if this is known on all ships.  I totally don't understand why they don't bring it out immediately to vegetarians.  We have brought it to our waiter's attention and it is listed in my daughter's profile.  Anyway.... Excited to maybe have some extra choices for her!  Jane