Rookie Dining Question

FM1981

Hello everyone. Glad to have found such a great resource of information. I've spent hours reading about all things Royal Caribbean.  My wife, 6 year old and I will be onboard Mariner of the Seas this upcoming weekend.  We know we'll be eating most of our meals in Windjammer but, would like to eat Dinner in the MDR every night.  We've made a My Time Dining reservation for the first night, to see how my 6 year old behaves.  She is usually very loud at dinner and gets very anxious once she's finished eating.  My question is- Is there a way to request a table for just the three of us every night?  I would hate to ruin someone's dinner by being sat with other people. Thanks in advance.

Best thing you can do is either call RC and see if they can make it happen or as soon as you can when you board go to the MDR and talk to the maitre d .  They can usually accommodate you.  If you have some time before the cruise, I'd call.  We were able to get a table for two a couple times when we did.

I agree with @arebee... we have always chosen My Time dining as a preference and have never had to sit with another party. Our party size has varied from two to five people. On our Allure cruise last month, we saw many tables of two and three seated throughout the My Time level of the MDR.

Enjoy your cruise!

Concur with the previous posts. We have reserved tables for 4 for our 3-some family.  Our travel agent usually asks if we want a table by ourselves or shared with others.  We have used both My Time dining and regular early seating.  When we used My Time dining, on the first night we tried to schedule the same time for the entire cruise, which helped the staff manage table reservations.  That saved us the discomfort of standing in line and waiting for an available table. 

I will suggest you make a reservation for MTD for every night of your cruise.  It is much easier to cancel it that day if you decide to go to Windjammer than waiting in line to be seated.  You can make a reservation once you board the ship.  Just an FYI, the first night tends to be the longest dinner time.  I suggest you bring coloring sheets and crayons or something to keep her occupied. The other nights move much quicker

Just concurring with those above. We requested a table for 2 with MTD and received one every night. No problem. Also as stated above, make a reservation in advance for MDR every night. You can just cancel them after night one if its not working for you.

Have a great cruise!

12 minutes ago, FM1981 said:

Thanks for the great advice everyone.  I will definately be calling here soon.  

I don't know if she is a picky eater, but I have read that MDR servers will even go to the WJ for a special request like chicken tenders or burgers for the kids.

22 minutes ago, FManke said:

I don't know if she is a picky eater, but I have read that MDR servers will even go to the WJ for a special request like chicken tenders or burgers for the kids.

Correction to the above, not having traveled with kids, the MDR does have a kid friendly menu if needed. Search this forum for Kid MDR Menu for a copy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2019 at 2:32 PM, ChessE4 said:

Concur with the previous posts. We have reserved tables for 4 for our 3-some family.  Our travel agent usually asks if we want a table by ourselves or shared with others.  We have used both My Time dining and regular early seating.  When we used My Time dining, on the first night we tried to schedule the same time for the entire cruise, which helped the staff manage table reservations.  That saved us the discomfort of standing in line and waiting for an available table. 

Can someone tell me if eating in the main dining room as well as windjammer buffet is covered with cost of cruise we are on independence of the seas in July ??

I second making all your MTD reservations now and if you decide on board that you don't want to do main dining room you can cancel it is much easier that way.  My ADHD daughter does great in the dining room because after the first night they bring her french fries first thing and we give her a Kindle.  Your daughter must surprise you.  Also, with making your reservations ahead you are likely to get the same table every night which aids with having them know your daughter and having something for her to start eating.

24 minutes ago, Kelly N said:

Do you have to reserve for the My Time Dining?  I see it on my cruise planner but it’s late times like after 8pm. I thought you could come whenever and risk the waiting time?

No reservations required.  You can wing it and just go during open hours.  Going during peak hours will see a wait, early or late and probably not.

Muck like a restaurant in your home town.