Venice Anyone?

FManke

As it is never too early to start planning for our Oct 2020 Greece cruise out of Venice.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Venice?

Restaurants, hotels, excursions, airport transfers? 

We will be arriving around noon and then boarding Rhapsody of the Seas the next day around 11.

Anybody ever taken the post cruise excursion?

Thanks for any info.

16 minutes ago, JennyB said:

My suggestion is to take me. ?

Seriously tho, how long of a cruise is it?  What kinds of things do you usually like to do? 

We are only going to be in Venice about 24 hours before the cruise.

Just general sightseeing.

• 2 months later...

Buy a day pass for the vaporetto and use them like a hop on hop off bus. Go out to Murano and Burano if you have time. Eat pizza and gelato. Visit St Marks but don’t eat or drink in the square. Walk a few streets back. There is a department store near Rialto bridge which has a roof terrace you can visit for free. Views over Venice are outstanding, prices in the shop extortionate. Make sure you are on deck for the sail away. If you are lucky one of the staff will be on the bridge pointing out the names of the different churches and famous buildings that you are passing. It’s the best sail-in or out you will ever experience. We are lucky enough to have done it several times and I get choked up with emotion every time. I just love the place and I hope you will to.

15 hours ago, supergran said:

Buy a day pass for the vaporetto and use them like a hop on hop off bus. Go out to Murano and Burano if you have time. Eat pizza and gelato. Visit St Marks but don’t eat or drink in the square. Walk a few streets back. There is a department store near Rialto bridge which has a roof terrace you can visit for free. Views over Venice are outstanding, prices in the shop extortionate. Make sure you are on deck for the sail away. If you are lucky one of the staff will be on the bridge pointing out the names of the different churches and famous buildings that you are passing. It’s the best sail-in or out you will ever experience. We are lucky enough to have done it several times and I get choked up with emotion every time. I just love the place and I hope you will to.

Thanks  @supergran! I'm sure with only having roughly 24hrs in Venice , it will not be enough by a long shot, but we plan on making the best of it. Currently looking at booking a night tour of St Marks Basilica and the Doge's. The rest of the time will be us just walking and taking in all the sights, sounds and tastes of Venice. I only have a list of about 20 places to stop for food and drink! Not sure if we'll make them all, but we are going to do our best!

6 minutes ago, FManke said:

The rest of the time will be us just walking and taking in all the sights, sounds and tastes of Venice.

There are so many places to stop and eat and drink. It's absolutely beautiful. I went with a bunch of recommendations, as did my tourmates and then ignored them all and we stopped wherever we felt like.

5 minutes ago, ellcee said:

There are so many places to stop and eat and drink. It's absolutely beautiful. I went with a bunch of recommendations, as did my tourmates and then ignored them all and we stopped wherever we felt like.

I have a basic route and stops already planned out. Yes, 400+ days out! ?

I can't help it. Hi, my name is Fred and I'm an over planner.

We'll see what happens. I'm trying to be more spontaneous, but it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

On 8/26/2019 at 8:57 AM, FManke said:

Thanks  @supergran! I'm sure with only having roughly 24hrs in Venice , it will not be enough by a long shot, but we plan on making the best of it. Currently looking at booking a night tour of St Marks Basilica and the Doge's. The rest of the time will be us just walking and taking in all the sights, sounds and tastes of Venice. I only have a list of about 20 places to stop for food and drink! Not sure if we'll make them all, but we are going to do our best!

St Marks Basilica and Doge Palace are a must stop.  Make sure you have guide (tour).  It is worth it as the lines are long to get into these places and a guide to navigate all you will be seeing.

On 9/2/2019 at 10:06 AM, MikeK said:

St Marks Basilica and Doge Palace are a must stop.  Make sure you have guide (tour).  It is worth it as the lines are long to get into these places and a guide to navigate all you will be seeing.

That is a must stop for sure. As mentioned above, looking at a night tour of both St Mark's and the Doge's. Small group tour. Limited to about 15ppl.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ms Travel said:

Lived 1 hr from of Venice for almost 5 yrs. I would say to walk around and stop at anything you think is interesting. I loved just walking around and doing that.

Yes, we plan on doing a self walking tour. I have about 15 food places I want to try and we will only be there about 24 hrs! ?

• 3 months later...

If you would have any interest in this, I did a short gondola rowing lesson with my son and my mother, and we all loved it! We did it with a nonprofit organization and proceeds go toward preserving the boats, etc. rowvenice.org

I’d also recommend getting off the tourist trail in Venice! There is literally a marked path for tourists — it’s a zoo in the middle of the day. I remember that I enjoyed strolling through the residential area between the train station and the Frari Basilica.

On 1/14/2020 at 9:11 AM, Debjohn78 said:

We are also concerned about the flooding in Venice.

Welcome Deb. Unless it's crazier than usual flooding (which happens) Venice is equipped to deal with it. They have platforms set up for flooding so you can still walk around most places. You can't really count on or control Mother Nature but for the most part they've got it down.

On 1/14/2020 at 8:11 AM, Debjohn78 said:

We will be going on the Rhapsody in September, 2020.  Does anyone have any good recommendations as to a hotel to stay in..  We are planning on going into Venice 2 days prior to the cruise.    We are also concerned about the flooding in Venice.  Thankyou Deb

We will be there in Oct 2020, I plan on booking the Hotel Moresco when reservations open up, still about a month or two away. We are also going in two days early. From what I've read flooding can happen anytime, although Oct and Nov can be especially bad. I guess it's like booking a cruise in the Caribbean during hurricane season. You just go and keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice @TinyDancer. We only plan on going to St. Mark's and Doge's Palace, as far as touristy places go. I've made up a two day "food tour" to hit about 15 places. We'll just see what we see while we are walking around.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi we just booked a cruise in September 2020 leaving from Venice. We will be arriving 2 days early to enjoy the city. Should we plan to stay close to the cruise terminal in Piazzale Roma area so that we don't have to drag luggage far when heading to the cruise? Or stay closer to the major places of interest such as Piazza San Marco area? I have read mixed reviews on this and am confused on how hard it is to get your luggage to the cruise if you don't stay close to the peoplemover or cruise terminal? 

54 minutes ago, shellstin said:

Hi we just booked a cruise in September 2020 leaving from Venice. We will be arriving 2 days early to enjoy the city. Should we plan to stay close to the cruise terminal in Piazzale Roma area so that we don't have to drag luggage far when heading to the cruise? Or stay closer to the major places of interest such as Piazza San Marco area? I have read mixed reviews on this and am confused on how hard it is to get your luggage to the cruise if you don't stay close to the peoplemover or cruise terminal? 

We'll be there in Oct. We are staying at the Hotel Moresco. It's about a 5min walk to Piazzale Roma. From what I've been told through our hotel, they would be able to arrange a taxi to get us to the cruise port for a reasonable fare. They also indicated that the driver will meet us at the hotel and help with luggage. I would assume this should be the same for all local hotels, within walking distance of the Piazzale Roma.

From what I've read, if you stay near the Piazza San Marco, be prepared to pay more for a room than the surrounding areas, also you still have to get to the cruise terminal which would consist of a private water taxi, which can be fairly expense, or a water bus. 

I'd be happy to try an answer any other questions you have.

Happy cruising!

2 hours ago, FManke said:

We'll be there in Oct. We are staying at the Hotel Moresco. It's about a 5min walk to Piazzale Roma. From what I've been told through our hotel, they would be able to arrange a taxi to get us to the cruise port for a reasonable fare. They also indicated that the driver will meet us at the hotel and help with luggage. I would assume this should be the same for all local hotels, within walking distance of the Piazzale Roma.

From what I've read, if you stay near the Piazza San Marco, be prepared to pay more for a room than the surrounding areas, also you still have to get to the cruise terminal which would consist of a private water taxi, which can be fairly expense, or a water bus. 

I'd be happy to try an answer any other questions you have.

Happy cruising!

Hoping you'll blog your experience!  We are there in 2021

25 minutes ago, melski94 said:

Hoping you'll blog your experience!  We are there in 2021

I'm old and not as tech savvy as I should be. Ill see how it goes. If not I will definitely ber posting a post cruise review. @melski94 let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

I stayed near the train station on the grand canal. We used a private water taxi to get from the airport to hotel and hotel to ship.  We could have walked/used the People Mover but it was a bit long (20 mins) and we didn't want to drag our luggage and young child that far. To get around Venice, we walked and used the public water transportation (called the Vaporetto).   I didn't regret staying a bit further from the high traffic areas of Venice.  The travel around the grand canal via the Vaporetto was nice.  Unless you stay within walking distance to the People Mover or the cruise terminal, you'd probably either need to use the Vaporetto, which might be difficult with luggage, or a private water taxi to get to the cruise.  They are a bit pricey.  Mine averaged a bit over 100 euro each way for 3 people (we used Consorzio Motoscafi and had good experiences).  I think the Vaporetto has day passes for around 20 euro a day. or 7.50 per ride.

Venice is a nice city.

Luggage : prepare a small suitcase/bag for what you need in Venice and store the rest of he luggage in storage near the station/bus terminal. There are several places to store the luggage there. Going around in venice is transportation over the water or walking . Not so handy to drag all your cruise luggage with you all the time. Wear good walking shoes.

To go from town to the cruise port, there is a people mover next to the train station, we took it in october but it is not that userfull. The trip is only 5 min max, costs a small fee (about 2 USD pp) but only drops you off at the outskirts of the port. you still need to drag the luggage to the port gate and the ship. If feasible (mobility and amount of luggage, ...), it is as easy and as quick to walk the distance from the train station to the port. 

Walk around, soak in the city and enjoy it