Does The Key go on sale in Cruise Planner?

For our Allure cruise last month (May), the price jumped around over the course of six months or so prior and could be seen on the Cruise Planner at $19.99, $24.99, $29.99 & $37.99 from what I recall. We were lucky to grab it at $19.99 in the early going.

Mine started at 19.99 it jumped to 29.99 and now it is at 24.99.  HOWEVER, it has the red box saying SOLD OUT.  

I am starting to see a pattern with at least my cruise and things that have limited availability, right before they are sold out they jump up the price really high and than bring it back down to a lower price for @ 24 hrs only to have it show the red box the next day.  

Maybe that is just me overthinking it or seeing something that doesn't exist, but I have watched everything from Cabanas to zip lines to the key.   I only say that because I check constantly/daily on my planner to see if any of my excursions have dropped since Black Friday or for a new excursion that might appeal to me is now at a lower price and many times I go OMG that priced really jumped up and the next week it drops big time.  IE I purchased my cabana at 449.  It ran for @ 6 weeks at 649-699.  Than it ran at 849, and topped out over 1K.  The next week it went to 649 or 699 (can't recall) a few days later it was at 449 with the red box of not available on line, check on board.  The same happened with the Key.

The initial Key was released at $24.99 but quickly dropped to $19.99 in the early months of the program.  Sales appear to have exceeded expectations and $19.99 is rarely seen anymore on Oasis class or Quantum class.

I think what happens is they have so many in the $24.99 bucket and once those sell it goes to $29.99.  Once sold out it they seem to have a plan C where in some cases the price jumps to $37.99.  I guess they figure if people want it that bad, they'll happily sell it at a huge mark up.  

There is greater benefit on the mega ships.  More entertainment venues, more activities like flowriders, more people so priority boarding accomplishes more and there is more demand.  Hence the higher prices.

6 hours ago, Yo2slick said:

Does anyone know how many Key packages they are selling per sailing?  I heard it was limited to 100-200 people?

Initially it was 100 simply to test the waters and gauge demand.  It might vary by ship or class of ship.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

The initial Key was released at $24.99 but quickly dropped to $19.99 in the early months of the program.  Sales appear to have exceeded expectations and $19.99 is rarely seen anymore on Oasis class or Quantum class.

I think what happens is they have so many in the $24.99 bucket and once those sell it goes to $29.99.  Once sold out it they seem to have a plan C where in some cases the price jumps to $37.99.  I guess they figure if people want it that bad, they'll happily sell it at a huge mark up.  

There is greater benefit on the mega ships.  More entertainment venues, more activities like flowriders, more people so priority boarding accomplishes more and there is more demand.  Hence the higher prices.

Initially it was 100 simply to test the waters and gauge demand.  It might vary by ship or class of ship.

I was just curious because if everyone buys it then it defeats the purpose of me purchasing it.

On 6/10/2019 at 8:41 PM, rtread said:

Hope y'all have a great cruise! Ours is Christmas (and wife's birthday) so I hope you reply after your cruise with an assessment of this.....just for curiosity?

I will for sure!  This is our first ever cruise for both of us.  We are celebrating wifes birthday and our anniversary which are 3 days apart.

1 hour ago, Yo2slick said:

I will for sure!  This is our first ever cruise for both of us.  We are celebrating wifes birthday and our anniversary which are 3 days apart.

Congrats! My wife's birthday is 2 days before Christmas. I learned a long time ago not to try to combine the two. So we are going on a BIRTHDAY cruise.?