What time do room stewards clean stateroom?

They are ninjas that are very good at observing when you enter/leave your room.  They seem to always be around cleaning someone's room but I've never actually managed to catch them cleaning mine.  I have seen them knock on rooms before entering.

Think of your room like any hotel room.  Yes, you can lock your room and throw a latch/deadbolt for privacy but those can be overridden when necessary.

I think it's polite to inform my steward if I'm planning to sleep in really late or take a nap before dinner.  That way they will know and can work around my schedule.  After all, they don't get to clock out until they've finished all their assigned rooms.

12 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

They are ninjas that are very good at observing when you enter/leave your room.  They seem to always be around cleaning someone's room but I've never actually managed to catch them cleaning mine.  I have seen them knock on rooms before entering.

Think of your room like any hotel room.  Yes, you can lock your room and throw a latch/deadbolt for privacy but those can be overridden when necessary.

I think it's polite to inform my steward if I'm planning to sleep in really late or take a nap before dinner.  That way they will know and can work around my schedule.  After all, they don't get to clock out until they've finished all their assigned rooms.

You have a little magnetic sign you can put on your door, do not disturb  or we're out. Even if you don't use it, we agree, their ninja skills always seem to know when you left and they're in and out and your cabin is once again spectacular. 

I just get off the HOS (loved it!)

Our RS was very good, she learned our sleeping patterns and worked around us, we did use the magnet to try to help her.

We typically left at 8am and she was in the hallway doing someone else's room so around 9am in morning

We would head back to room to change for dinner around 7pm, and room was clean again and ready for bed.

Pretty much the same experience. I rarely see them before 9am or after 6-7pm. The room always get made up while we are gone during the day. The beds turned down, the next days cruise compass and sometimes a towel animal with a small chocolate or something greets us when we come in during the evening. It is magic.

Magic. And technology? I am rather familiar with this system having used it in a government building a while back. On the Anthem last year I looked closely at the security screens that were visible to passengers and saw that they were using the same system. It does a ton of things that you can't imagine. I'm not saying they are monitoring when your cabin door opens and closes but this would be a simple task, especially if linked to a corridor monitor. I hope only security has command and control over this system and not housekeeping.  

1552202431.jpeg

I guess something as simple as a motion detector in the room similar to those that automatically turn lights on and off would give a pretty good idea/clue about you being in the room or not. There are any number of 'non-invasive' sensors that could give clues including power consumption, water flow, door opening and closing, not sound recording but level, and so on. I had never really thought of it but in this day and age it could all be very real.

Unfortunately on our last 2 cruises (Brilliance last year and Ovation 3 weeks ago) our cabin attendant never seemed to clean the room when we were out.  We left between 8 and 9, put our clean the room sign out, would be gone for an hour and when we came back the room was not cleaned.  We would be there for up to 30 minutes and magically he would show up and we would either go on the balcony or leave for another 30 minutes.  It was very irritating that it happened many times on each cruise.

They will clean in the morning while you are out to breakfast or out doing other activities.  Port days they tend to come earlier, sea days (when people sleep in) they tend to come later in the morning.  In the evening they come while you are at dinner.  Help them out by using the magnetic "do not disturb" / "we're out" sign.  Use the deadbolt and "do not disturb" sign when in the room to prevent them from entering.  They will stop by to introduce themselves to you on Day 1, and you can let them know any special requests at that time.  Just let them know and they will be glad to work with you!

When you meet them on the first day - they will come by and introduce themselves - speak to them about timing. We get up at X we got to breakfast at X dinner at X. I will usually hand them a cash tip at that point to let them know if they take care of us we will take care of them. We have never had any issues. As others have said it all gets magically taken care of after that :) We also use the magnetic sign on the door as an indicator for them.

have a great vacation!!

On 6/7/2019 at 6:51 PM, Fuzzywuzzy said:

Magic. And technology? I am rather familiar with this system having used it in a government building a while back. On the Anthem last year I looked closely at the security screens that were visible to passengers and saw that they were using the same system. It does a ton of things that you can't imagine. I'm not saying they are monitoring when your cabin door opens and closes but this would be a simple task, especially if linked to a corridor monitor. I hope only security has command and control over this system and not housekeeping.  

1552202431.jpeg

Wow, I really hope the OP doesn’t read this and take it literally.  They seemed overly concerned that the door would not be able to be locked already.  

The Magic is true to a certain extent, and yes they are observing you but the room stewards are doing so from a low tech perspective.  There are security cameras in the halls but the stewards are in the halls around your room and simply using their own eyes and ears.  If you are in your room it is pretty easy to know if your neighbor just came in or left.  Since the steward has your room and those right around they can see you leave or sometimes hear you leave.  The guests also tend to follow the same patterns as outer guests.  Between direct observation, basic human behavior patterns and the privacy/cleaning magnets it is a pretty low tech system.