ultimate dining package i know its been asked 100 times before!

sorry to ask this is am sure for the 100th time but my wife and i are going on navigator 4 days (no Kids hooray hooray) i saw the UDP is 95 dollars for the trip.  now does that mean every night we eat at a specialty dining restaurant.  they have a chops plus 1 for 65. How do people feel about this is it to much eating at the special places each night is 2 enough  i know its all personal preference and there is no right answer.  i think 95 for all them sound good but i have never done this before.  in 2 weeks with are on a family vacation on anthem we did the BOGO dining for 2 nights on a 9 night cruise.

Just now, av3206 said:

now does that mean every night we eat at a specialty dining restaurant

Yes

Just now, av3206 said:

How do people feel about this is it to much eating at the special places each night is 2 enough 

Like you said, all about personal preference. It's a lot of food, but some people only want specialty dining and this package is for them.

1 hour ago, av3206 said:

sorry to ask this is am sure for the 100th time but my wife and i are going on navigator 4 days (no Kids hooray hooray) i saw the UDP is 95 dollars for the trip.  now does that mean every night we eat at a specialty dining restaurant.  they have a chops plus 1 for 65. How do people feel about this is it to much eating at the special places each night is 2 enough  i know its all personal preference and there is no right answer.  i think 95 for all them sound good but i have never done this before.  in 2 weeks with are on a family vacation on anthem we did the BOGO dining for 2 nights on a 9 night cruise.

I buy the Unlimited dining for every cruise.. I am also on Navigator and bought the package.. Not only do you get a specialty restaurant every night but you get lunch in a restaurant on the Sea day that you have.. Also you can eat at playmakers any time of the day its open so its really a great value.  My plan is to eat dinner at like 6 or 6:30 and then hit playmakers at like 11 or 11:30 or late night snack.. I am a gambler so I get hungry lol.. 

Personal preference but for us, it would be too much decadent food .  I think mentally we would feel we would need to eat full meals since we're paying extra.  We currently have BOGO booked on Navigator (booked before they changed it to Chops + 1) and are most likely cancelling  as that's 2 our of 4 dinners.  Maybe we're in the minority, but we like the MDR, especially when you get the same waiter each night.  And I couldn't imagine adding in lunches at the specialty places too.  But again, that's just us.  It's a personal preference.

39 minutes ago, Marlena said:

What about if you have UDP and are the ship during port day? Can you go to specialty restaurant for lunch then as well?

I believe the rule is...if the restaurant is open, you can eat there.  Specialty restaurants are rarely ever open on port days but if it's open, you will be able to eat there.

The lunch coupon we just had on the Harmony specified that it be used on port days, so I know you can get lunch at some specialty restaurants on those days.  We chose Sabra but I recall that Jamie's & Chops were open.  (Jamie's was previously mentioned.)

The only issue I have with pay extra for the full dining package is that the food/experience has rarely been better for us than the Main Dining Room.  The specialty restaurants, to me, lack atmosphere, service is slow, and sometimes dishes aren't prepared properly (pasta not cooked long enough, for example).  And you can order a nice steak from the MDR with a slight upcharge....But I don't want to criticize anyone who likes specialty dining.  I  choose to splurge on something else, like a nice excursion.

On 6/7/2019 at 12:29 PM, WannaCruise said:

Personal preference but for us

Maybe we're in the minority, but we like the MDR, especially when you get the same waiter each night.  

Same for us. We enjoy the MDR. We did a BOGO on our 25th Anniversary cruise since it was a longer cruise but haven’t done any specialty dining since then. Probably won’t this year on either cruise. I don’t think you have to spend the extra money to still have an excellent cruise. 

Also, one of the reasons we haven’t done it again, is because we would want to try to restaurants that weren’t necessarily Chops. And with the new 2-night dining being Chops+1, we don’t really see a value in that for us.  And knowing us, with the UDP,  we’d feel “obligated” to eat more since we paid extra.