Nassau Safe?

skwak

What do you consider to be safe?  That may be a good starting point to get an understanding as if you should be getting off the ship or not.  There are bad people everywhere and you should always be aware of your surroundings, pay attention to where you are and where you are going and be conscious if your valuables.  To me Nassau is no more risky that any other city in the US or foreign port.  

Honestly, a lot of it is based on what you are comfortable with. I've been to Nassau both with and without a cruise, have walked around at will, and have never had a concern. Part of that is because, frankly, I spend time in...how do I put it...less-than-safe places around the world on a fairly regular basis. I also...uh...blend in. BUT, my wife is neither of those things and hasn't had any concerns about the parts of town I have taken her to.

There are some areas that aren't great. You are not likely to wander upon them. There are also some bad people that will prey on tourists, which is the case in every place that gets thousands of tourists on any given day.

Be smart, keep your eyes open and your valuables close, and you'll be fine.

I think the fact that there is (or was recently) a US State Department Travel Advisory warning about safety has us concerned.  We really just want to walk around the extended port area, head to the small beach on the right of the dock and drink some beers at a few bars.

2 hours ago, skwak said:

I think the fact that there is (or was recently) a US State Department Travel Advisory warning about safety has us concerned.  We really just want to walk around the extended port area, head to the small beach on the right of the dock and drink some beers at a few bars.

Are you concerned about this because you have heard it or is there another reason?  The United Kingdom, France and most of Western Europe are on the same level.  So would you be as reserved and not venture out in Paris, London or Rome?  

The information is valid but not much beyond normal safe practices you should always use while traveling.  Also there are specifics that are mentioned that would not probably apply to you.     

CA133E6B-ACEB-4AD2-A9D4-20AECB91CBDB.jpeg

07A9ACC0-2D22-45B7-A882-5DC5DC3B713D.png

Ditto to all of the above.  Actually, the only horror stories I have heard involve Barcelona and Rome where friends were pick-pocketed.  So avoid the groups of street urchins who may surround you as a distraction while someone quietly robs you.  Leave passports in the stateroom safe, use a secret cash/card wallet under your shirt, and use purses with shoulder straps that you can clutch easily to your body.  We have been on 14 cruises and never been accosted, and we found Nassau during daylight hours perfectly safe.  We never ventured out after dinner on the ship.

Thanks everyone.  We are probably overthinking the dangers of Nassau.  We are there from 12:00 till 12:00.  Plan would be to get off as a family for 2 to 4 hours during the day and shop, drink and maybe go to Junkanoo beach for a bit.  Then we would return to the ship for dinner.  afterwards maybe the adults will get off for a few craft beers at Pirate Republic Brewing:

https://www.piraterepublicbahamas.com/

Sounds harmless and safe enough.

18 hours ago, skwak said:

Thanks everyone.  We are probably overthinking the dangers of Nassau.  We are there from 12:00 till 12:00.  Plan would be to get off as a family for 2 to 4 hours during the day and shop, drink and maybe go to Junkanoo beach for a bit.  Then we would return to the ship for dinner.  afterwards maybe the adults will get off for a few craft beers at Pirate Republic Brewing:

https://www.piraterepublicbahamas.com/

Sounds harmless and safe enough.

Look at the State Department alert, they mention neighborhoods. Jump on Google Maps and plug in those neighborhood names, see where they are, and avoid them. It won't be hard. You'll be fine.

On 6/7/2019 at 11:31 AM, tiny260 said:

My wife and I have never had any issues in Nassau, one of my favorite restaurants in the Caribbean is there.

and what restaurant might that be?  looking for good food when we are there next month...we'll have 2 16yo boys with us...

As someone who has been there about 10x in the past few years I wouldn't worry about it anymore than any other place....in the tourist district anyways. Lots to do and see close by the port within walking distance...Junkanoo Beach, Rum tour, Fish Fry, and of course all the normal little shops and bars in the area.

I