CocoCay and Sunscreen

Just now, JennyB said:

What specifically do you use/recommend? And Why?

I don't like to recommend specific products rather find one that works for you given your goals. 

When I dive I wear a full body rash guard so I'm mostly covered up on the dive boat.  I try to stay in the shade on the dive boat so my face doesn't get direct sun between dives.   I snorkel wearing a long sleeve rash guard.  I use a reef friendly sunscreen on my ears and legs when snorkeling.  It's not super nice to apply.  It's kind of chalky but it's the right thing to do.  Once on land when I know I am done in the ocean, the regular sunscreen comes out.  

Here is what PADI has to say:

https://www2.padi.com/blog/2017/09/07/best-natural-sunscreen-scuba-diving-snorkeling/

Sunscreen best practices

Choose to cover up rather than slather on. A long-sleeved rashguard with UV protection is a better environmental choice than any sunscreen.

Read the label: avoid sunscreens containing oxybenzone, butylparaben, octinoxate or 4-methylbenzylidine camphor. Even a small amount can cause coral bleaching.

Apply sunscreen at least 15 minutes before going in the water so the product can absorb into your skin. This also improves its effectiveness.