Orlando and Port Canaveral-help needed

Now that our plans have changed, (see Lemons to Lemonade for explanation) we need to figure out a new plan.  Luckily, we had not booked airfare for the cruise to Cuba.  So we are now flying into Orlando the day before our cruise and need to get to Port Canaveral.  We also need a hotel for the night before.  Can anyone help with recommendations for the best way to get from the airport to Canaveral and a good place to stay in that area?  

Many thanks.

I rented a car from Hertz, Hotel is Residence Inn Cape Canaveral Cocoa Beach, Hertz has a drop off in the same parking lot as the hotel. Then I will either Uber or taxi to the port the next day.

A lot of people on the boards will stay at the airport and then there is a shuttle to the port.

I decided to stay close to the port so that is why I made my decision.

I would rather stay at the Port over Orlando also. If we stayed in Orlando I'd feel pressured to go to a park or some more expensive places.

Depending on the number of people going renting a car to drive from the airport to the port is typically a bit cheaper than using a service / shuttle from the airport. Plus you get the freedom to drive around a bit in Coco Beach. Some good restaurants down there as well as plenty of places to pick up last minute items.We got Ice Cream, went to the beach, had dinner and picked up some beach gear that isnt really available up north.

A few hotels in Coco Beach may even have free shuttles to the port or packages with deals on the shuttle. I think i stayed at the Radisson last time, nothing to write home about but it was only for the night.  I was able to drop off the rental car after hours and walk less than a block to get back. Worked out great

check out website goportcanveral if you want a package that covers it all.

Other options are renting a car or just using Uber/Lyft.

Lots of shared shuttle services as well.

Rental car just for the one day is a bit of a pain and not the cheapest option in my research. Flights times will dictate as well which option may make the most sense.

There are a number of choices.

First, since you are flying in the day before, you have plenty of time to get to the ship the next day. You can stay in pretty much any hotel between the airport and the cruise terminal and have all the time you need to get to the port.

From Orlando near the airport to the Port,  there are shuttles from $15 a person to $30 a person. The vans that can carry 10-15 people are cheaper and the smaller vehicles will cost a bit more. No doubt there will be 'hawkers' near the baggage claim trying to get you to use their service.

Uber will take you and the prices vary depending on they type of car from about $60 to about $120. We use Uber quiet a bit in the Orlando area. It was generally cost efficient, quick, and generally the cars were pretty new, well kept and the drivers courteous.

Again, these are from the airport so you shouldn't need a rental car.

None of the hotels near the port are inexpensive. We have stayed at the Radisson Resort at Port a couple of times. They have a very  nice pool and though it may cost a couple of hundred for the night, its a nice place to start your cruise. They will shuttle you to the ship.

35 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

A lot of people on the boards will stay at the airport

Guilty as charged.   WHere you stay really depends on what time you arrive.  If you're hitting MCO in the later in the evening, I'd stay at the Hyatt in the airport and head to Canaveral the next day, it's about an hour drive.  If you're getting in fairly early, then the choice is beach time in Cocoa or Orlando parks / downtown Disney / City Walk.   I'd choose Orlando activities, but that's our preference.   You'll probably get an even split on the boards over renting a car and dropping it off in Cocoa or uber/lyft.  

1 hour ago, mbk999 said:

Guilty as charged.   WHere you stay really depends on what time you arrive.  If you're hitting MCO in the later in the evening, I'd stay at the Hyatt in the airport and head to Canaveral the next day, it's about an hour drive.  If you're getting in fairly early, then the choice is beach time in Cocoa or Orlando parks / downtown Disney / City Walk.   I'd choose Orlando activities, but that's our preference.   You'll probably get an even split on the boards over renting a car and dropping it off in Cocoa or uber/lyft.  

Last time we cruised out of Canaveral we stayed in Orlando, this time we wanted to be by the beach, we get in relatively early so will be able to enjoy our selves and start the cruise early. 

2 hours ago, tiny260 said:

I rented a car from Hertz, Hotel is Residence Inn Cape Canaveral Cocoa Beach, Hertz has a drop off in the same parking lot as the hotel. Then I will either Uber or taxi to the port the next day.

A lot of people on the boards will stay at the airport and then there is a shuttle to the port.

I decided to stay close to the port so that is why I made my decision.

We always stay here the night before a cruise.  Nice breakfast and they do offer shuttle service to the terminal.  As mentioned, Hertz is located out front of the hotel.