Favorite food on any ship...any restaurant!

Marlena

At Sabra's (on Harmony), both the steak quesadilla and the tacos were tasty.  My wife especially liked the fresh-made guacamole.  I enjoyed the sangria, too.  It appears the lunch and dinner menus are the same.   If you take a late lunch, you can skip dinner and get dessert or snacks later....

From ANY restaurant, it would be the ribeye in Coastal Kitchen, the chocolate cake in Giovanni's and the roast beef sandwich with gravy at Park Cafe if you catch them at the right time. If you get them starting in on a new hunk of meat on the ends then it isn't as good. But if you get the more rare parts of the middle? Chef kiss. And for CK, I found the ribeye to be almost as tender but MUCH more flavorful than the filet and it just fell apart in my mouth. I think I literally closed my eyes when eating it at one point. 

ETA pictures: 

Ribeye (LOOK HOW MUCH MEAT omfg that’s 2 pieces there)

EED50A2C-C17E-4BA9-B6A9-2CF90BF53FA8.thumb.jpeg.21f3369110f37be32e74f9474d6fa9ca.jpeg

And I forget the exact name for it, but this chocolate cake from Giovanni’s was so so moist and fudgey and delicious. I’m super picky with my deserts because I’m a baker and this was definitely the best one I had on board. 

A18437BD-4004-46E5-96EA-6B36591A87BA.thumb.jpeg.9f082c8f2382acfbf9340e79adcb951a.jpeg

Favorite from a non-specialty / complimentary restaurant was the Filet Mignon in Coastal Kitchen. Not exactly complimentary, I know -- you've gotta pay that pesky Jr Suite premium at minimum. And I'm a guy who's not particularly into beef outside of hamburgers, but does enjoy a good filet... and this was an outstanding, amazing, fantastic filet!

But the best food / meal I've had so far was Chef's Table, hands down. It's something I think everyone should experience at least once.

4 hours ago, JLMoran said:

But the best food / meal I've had so far was Chef's Table, hands down. It's something I think everyone should experience at least once.

Really wanting to try Chef's Table on Adventure...but we'll see....only if we can get a deal on board (just upgraded our room so not sure it's in the budget)

Some favorites...

• Chops - molten lava cake, garlic shrimp (on Mariner....Symphony didn't season it as well)
  • Jamie's - truffle pasta
  • MDR - escargot, Gorgonzola pasta (rich but yummy), garlic shrimp, Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon
  • El Loco Fresh - cheese quesadilla, chocolate dulce de leche
  • Cafe Promenade - coconut ranger cookies

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch but those come to mind.

I agree with @JLMoran.... Chefs table is not to be missed.  We are going back for a third time on vision this summer!  The best single thing I had was the world dessert at the chefs table in freedom.  It is from another specialty restaurant that I am blanking on... Maybe wonderland...but it's peanut butter and chocolate bliss.    Yum ......

And I agree with @Jolly Ogre... Anything I'm not cooking is awesome.

Also I was really surprised at how good the solarium bistro was for breakfast and lunch.  And park Cafe... And heck .. Now I'm just hungry!  Jane

17 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

The best single thing I had was the world dessert at the chefs table in freedom.  It is from another specialty restaurant that I am blanking on... Maybe wonderland

Yup, "The World" comes originally from the Wonderland restaurants (which Freedom class doesn't have). Having that for the dessert was an extra-special treat, since I didn't know they would "port over" recipes to other ships like that.

31 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Yup, "The World" comes originally from the Wonderland restaurants (which Freedom class doesn't have). Having that for the dessert was an extra-special treat, since I didn't know they would "port over" recipes to other ships like that.

Yeah and it was truly truly heaven on Earth.  I occasionally look at the pictures and dream......

3 minutes ago, Marlena said:

I need this dessert in my life it seems! I've seen it in videos and looks amazing.

Oh you do.  You really do.  I could live on the steak in Giovanni's, the cucumber martini in 150 Central Park and this dessert.  Well really, I could live on just this dessert!!!  Jane

This is kind of the other side of this question, but I did not really care for the Kummelweck sandwich. I was really hoping to, based on previous posts. It might have been a one off, so I'm going to give it another try next cruise.

1 hour ago, FManke said:

This is kind of the other side of this question, but I did not really care for the Kummelweck sandwich. I was really hoping to, based on previous posts. It might have been a one off, so I'm going to give it another try next cruise.

It really depends on how they are making the kummelweck.  The first ones we ever had were on Allure and they were wonderful.  Very lean but tender beef and a wonderful, thin au jus to dip it in.  Then some of the ships started using fatty, tough, gristly meat and a thick, nasty gravy.  If they would just go back to their original concept it would be awesome but you never know what you're going to get until you see it.  One good thing...the bread has always been the good weck bun...at least that has been consistently good.  The meat and au jus, however, have been very hit-or-miss recently.

We thought about trying Chefs Table but Im a little bit of a picky eater.  Not big on some of the fruits and veggies and any type of bean in the world is BLAH.. LMAO  Not sure if it would be worth it for me.  Unless you all think it would be and Ill book it right meow!

1 hour ago, Yo2slick said:

We thought about trying Chefs Table but Im a little bit of a picky eater.  Not big on some of the fruits and veggies and any type of bean in the world is BLAH.. LMAO  Not sure if it would be worth it for me.  Unless you all think it would be and Ill book it right meow!

You have choice on the entree btw 2 but otherwise it is a very set menu.  I won’t take my daughter because as a vegetarian she wouldn’t have as much choice (though I didn’t ask...I’m assuming) and it would we wasted on my picky son who hates sauces.  There are menus posted online...I’ve had two different menus.  The food is amazing but it is pricey.  Also it is by far a better deal if you drink wine or don’t have the drink pkg anyway.  The wine pairings were great and really were a fun part of the meal.  The experience was so cool with the wine discussion as well as the chef explaining how and why choices were mad.  I can’t wait to go back.  Jane

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

It really depends on how they are making the kummelweck.  The first ones we ever had were on Allure and they were wonderful.  Very lean but tender beef and a wonderful, thin au jus to dip it in.  Then some of the ships started using fatty, tough, gristly meat and a thick, nasty gravy.  If they would just go back to their original concept it would be awesome but you never know what you're going to get until you see it.  One good thing...the bread has always been the good weck bun...at least that has been consistently good.  The meat and au jus, however, have been very hit-or-miss recently.

Even sandwich to sandwich is different @FManke.  My husband had a greatly piece and it wasn’t great! Mine was amazing!  Jane

5 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

Yeah and it was truly truly heaven on Earth.  I occasionally look at the pictures and dream......

+1.  The World from Wonderland was the best thing I've ever eaten.  Chocolate, peanut butter and caramel.  I just dream and sigh about it.  I'm thinking of getting the UDP just to have that every night.  

On 6/8/2019 at 9:22 AM, JLMoran said:

On 6/8/2019 at 9:54 AM, mom2mybugs said:

On 6/8/2019 at 9:56 AM, Marlena said:

I need this dessert in my life it seems! I've seen it in videos and looks amazing.

We had it in Wonderland on Symphony. I missed getting a picture when it was first served. It came out as just a chocolate ball. But wait, there's more....the server then slowly pours hot caramel over it and you watch it melt.  Ice cream, peanut butter, caramel...ooh my!

image.png.1cd278dd1abeedc3f444849bf9a2c85b.png

You can see the whole process on You Tube here, along with 2 other desserts.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:15 PM, mom2mybugs said:

Also [chef's table] is by far a better deal if you drink wine or don’t have the drink pkg anyway.

I'm going to disagree with the "or don't have the drink package" part. When I did chef's table on Freedom I had made a point of noting all the wines we'd been served so I could see about having some of them in Vintages another night. I went there the next evening before dinner to look them up, and my jaw hit the floor! The Tuscan we'd been served was priced at over $30 a glass! Even with the package (which I did have) that would have cost me over $20 a pop after passing the $12 limit on Freedom. On land, a bottle of that Tuscan (which the guy at my wine shop told me is classified as a "super Tuscan") was over $60.

And then I found out that wasn't even the most expensive wine we'd been served! ?

For sure, chef's table is a huge value if you enjoy wine. You are served some really good stuff there, what I would guess enthusiasts would say is at the lower end of "mid-range" wines (vs. stuff that goes for over $200 a bottle on land). Even with the drink package, you're getting your money's worth just on the overages you're saving. And if the sommelier is cleared to let you have more than one glass of something that you really enjoyed, the savings really stack up!

But even if you don't enjoy wine, it's a fantastic meal; provided you're not a picky eater. If foods like hearts of palm, creme fraiche, lobster, or truffles just don't appeal to you based on looks / smells / textures, then it's probably not going to be enjoyable.

34 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Chef's Table is still a good option if you don't eat chicken or beef BUT do eat fish and seafood, right?  From the menu, it seems like they have a lot of fish items.

Yes, there are a good number of seafood courses, as well as choice of fish or filet / other meat for main entree.

My particular Chef's Table had 3 seafood-based courses -- scallops carpaccio appetizer, Maine lobster salad, and branzino for my entree. The other courses were a smoked tomato soup (also available in CK on night 1) and a truffle tagliatelle pasta course.

6 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Yes, there are a good number of seafood courses, as well as choice of fish or filet / other meat for main entree.

My particular Chef's Table had 3 seafood-based courses -- scallops carpaccio appetizer, Maine lobster salad, and branzino for my entree. The other courses were a smoked tomato soup (also available in CK on night 1) and a truffle tagliatelle pasta course.

Thanks so much.  That sounds like a perfect meal and not restricted.