MarvinS

Just off Harmony & CocoCay - stray observations

14 hours ago, Hutcherl said:

Will be boarding Harmony in 10 days so doing the same itinerary.  Just wondering what you did in Costa Maya.  We have Maya Chan booked but have been hearing a lot about the seaweed issue and smell.  I know it a typical issue there but wondering if it’s worse than normal.  Also, any concerns  in Roatan with mosquitoes?  Again, I think this concern is typical but I’m thinking I’m hearing more and more from groups about these issues since it so close to sail date?  

I've done Maya Chan twice now. The first time we went they warned about the sea grass but we went anyway. There was a sulfur smell that we caught occasionally, but nothing worth cancelling over. They work actively to remove the sea grass and we were able to enjoy the water still. 

My opinion is that all the beaches in Costa Maya are below average beaches, especially compared to some of the great beaches in the Caribbean. The sea grass, rocky bottoms, and low visibility water are all contributing factors. Maya Chan however is a FANTASTIC beach spot if you're looking for a chill, relaxing day with great food, drinks, and service. If you're dead set on serious water activities Costa Maya isn't the port to do them in. 

I highly recommend getting some natrapel wipes to take with you for Roatan. They use picardin instead of deet which won't damage plastics (including polyester, etc.. clothing like swim suits). They are super easy to pack too and no spray, no mess. Also, if you're snorkeling in Roatan you need reef-safe sunscreen which is typically zinc based. I've used the Austrailian Gold Botanical line and it's good. 

Have fun!

1 hour ago, KJones said:

@MarvinS that will be our exact itinerary for our September cruise. Any chance you saved/ took pictures of a cruise compass?

Yes, I've saved all of the cruise compasses!  I'm still on my vacation travels this month, but when I get back home (first of July), I'll get them scanned and off to @Matt for posting.

1 hour ago, gregorykicks said:

I've done Maya Chan twice now. The first time we went they warned about the sea grass but we went anyway. There was a sulfur smell that we caught occasionally, but nothing worth cancelling over. They work actively to remove the sea grass and we were able to enjoy the water still. 

My opinion is that all the beaches in Costa Maya are below average beaches, especially compared to some of the great beaches in the Caribbean. The sea grass, rocky bottoms, and low visibility water are all contributing factors. Maya Chan however is a FANTASTIC beach spot if you're looking for a chill, relaxing day with great food, drinks, and service. If you're dead set on serious water activities Costa Maya isn't the port to do them in. 

I highly recommend getting some natrapel wipes to take with you for Roatan. They use picardin instead of deet which won't damage plastics (including polyester, etc.. clothing like swim suits). They are super easy to pack too and no spray, no mess. Also, if you're snorkeling in Roatan you need reef-safe sunscreen which is typically zinc based. I've used the Austrailian Gold Botanical line and it's good. 

Have fun!

Thanks for the great information! 

Just now, MarvinS said:

Yes, I've saved all of cruise compasses!  I'm still on my vacation travels this month, but when I get back home (first of July), I'll get them scanned and off to @Matt for posting.

You are on 5 week vacation?! that is awesome!!  so jealous! 

1 hour ago, mook1525 said:

@MarvinS very acceptable (5-15 minutes at most) with usually 5 minutes or so average.  Several were with nearly zero waiting.

Do you remember which slides were un-popular? 

I wouldn't call any of the rides un-popular.  They were all actively being used.  There were 6 rides on the tall tower:  the "Tallest waterside" ride at the top, next down were the two slides (facing each other) where you stand on the platform at a steep incline, and the bottom drops away and you go flying down.  Next, working your way down was a green one at medium elevation, and at the lowest level were two slides (the tamest) with one open air, and the other fully enclosed (and a little darker, but definitely not black) until they opened up for exit at the bottom.  The shortest lines were for the lower, tamer rides.  The two vertical drop slides had extremely short lines, as they go so quick.

The other group of slides were three different rides.  The "slingslot" and other inner tube ride were at the very top.  You used the same staircase all the way for all the rides.  It was a little confusing as to which line was for which ride as they snaked down the stairs.  The other ride on this shorter tower was the four racer slides where you are head first riding mats.  This one started about two-thirds they way up this tower.  The shortest lines were for the racers (< 5 minutes).  My wife and I passed our son (standing in line for the slingshot) about 4 times as we made several trips down the racer slides, one right after the other.  We also did the other tube ride (either single or two-person tubes), and this one was probably my favorite.  Again, reasonable lines on this one of 5-10 minutes average.  We were certainly able to go multiple times.

Bottom line, the only two rides with extremely long wait times was the "tallest waterslide" and the "slingshot".  Everything else was very reasonable and enjoyable.

3 minutes ago, MarvinS said:

I wouldn't call any of the rides un-popular.  They were all actively being used.  There were 6 rides on the tall tower:  the "Tallest waterside" ride at the top, next down were the two slides (facing each other) where you stand on the platform at a steep incline, and the bottom drops away and you go flying down.  Next, working your way down was a green one at medium elevation, and at the lowest level were two slides (the tamest) with one open air, and the other fully enclosed (and a little darker, but definitely not black) until they opened up for exit at the bottom.  The shortest lines were for the lower, tamer rides.  The two vertical drop slides had extremely short lines, as they go so quick.

The other group of slides were three different rides.  The "slingslot" and other inner tube ride were at the very top.  You used the same staircase all the way for all the rides.  It was a little confusing as to which line was for which ride as they snaked down the stairs.  The other ride on this shorter tower was the four racer slides where you are head first riding mats.  This one started about two-thirds they way up this tower.  The shortest lines were for the racers (< 5 minutes).  My wife and I passed our son (standing in line for the slingshot) about 4 times as we made several trips down the racer slides, one right after the other.  We also did the other tube ride (either single or two-person tubes), and this one was probably my favorite.  Again, reasonable lines on this one of 5-10 minutes average.  We were certainly able to go multiple times.

Bottom line, the only two rides with extremely long wait times was the "tallest waterslide" and the "slingshot".  Everything else was very reasonable and enjoyable.

thanks!!

19 minutes ago, mook1525 said:

You are on 5 week vacation?! that is awesome!!  so jealous! 

Well, actually it is only three weeks of vacation.  The last two weeks are actually a couple of back to back conferences I am attending for work.  We started off the vacation flying directly to the cruise (Orlando).  The next two weeks, we are visiting and staying with family that lives in southern Georgia.  The conference I will attend will be back in Orlando, followed by another one in St. Louis, Missouri.  Then (finally), I head back home to Alaska...

50 minutes ago, MarvinS said:

Yes, I've saved all of the cruise compasses!  I'm still on my vacation travels this month, but when I get back home (first of July), I'll get them scanned and off to @Matt for posting.

Great, thanks!

2 hours ago, ArkmanNoah said:

Do you know if the message feature on the Royal Caribbean International app is now working on Harmony of the Seas?  I haven’t been able to find updated info on this elsewhere.

Yes, the messaging feature works on Harmony. Just be warned you don't get any notifications of receiving a message unless you're in the app.

13 hours ago, CGTLH said:

Yes, the messaging feature works on Harmony. Just be warned you don't get any notifications of receiving a message unless you're in the app.

After discovering that iMessage was working flawlessly when connected to the guest wifi (without VOOM), I didn't even try the RCCL app for messaging...  I know I got iMessages just fine with notifications.

Stowaway Piano Man was on our recent Harmony cruise and we loved him! Ran into him on the elevator more than once, and he really heated up the Royal Promenade one afternoon with his upbeat and crowd pleasing Elton John & Billy Joel tunes. So much fun and added to our cruise experience! 😁

1 minute ago, Sea Turtle said:

Stowaway Piano Man was on our recent Harmony cruise and we loved him! Ran into him on the elevator more than once, and he really heated up the Royal Promenade one afternoon with his upbeat and crowd pleasing Elton John & Billy Joel tunes. So much fun and added to our cruise experience! 😁

We saw him 5 times all over the ship on our Symphony cruise last month. Besides the music and singing, he was funny. What a great personality and talent. Adds that extra touch to the cruise.

On 6/6/2019 at 9:08 AM, twangster said:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/04/22/spotted-stowaway-piano-player-anthem-of-the-seas

Blog post is about Anthem but same deal on Harmony, Navigator, Mariner, Symphony, etc...

Saw him last week on Navigator; it had been a bit of a quest for me to find him and I did twice.  My daughter actually ran into him first and I was honestly a little jealous.  Later, I could hear him as we were walking to dinner, and found him in the alcove entrance to Adventure Ocean.   Once again, we saw him on an elevator.  He had a great personality.   I have pics, but can’t figure out how to successfully attach them!

Saw the Stowaway Piano Guy on Harmony 3 times on our cruise in FEB 2019.  We got to dance on the Boardwalk (1st time ever) and in the Elevator (2nd time for a scorch the floor Swing in an Elevator).  When we saw him the elevator, we had to run around to the other elevator bank to catch up with him.

He is a blast.

On 7/1/2019 at 9:25 AM, Bbjunkie said:

Saw him last week on Navigator; it had been a bit of a quest for me to find him and I did twice.  My daughter actually ran into him first and I was honestly a little jealous.  Later, I could hear him as we were walking to dinner, and found him in the alcove entrance to Adventure Ocean.   Once again, we saw him on an elevator.  He had a great personality.   I have pics, but can’t figure out how to successfully attach them!

We were on NAV on the last cruise, too....are also on this cruise.  Saw the piano man on last week but so far, not on this leg.  I’m sure he’ll show up at some point.