cuba

14 minutes ago, Allen2 said:

Having gone to Cuba on RCL, we really are sad about the rule changes.  Maybe RCL will "work" with you if you call and talk to a friendly CSR. 

Full refund if you choose not to sail or 50% refund if you keep your booking.  Sounds pretty fair to me.

I don't however think they accept requests for alternate ports.  i.e. - "no Nassau please"

Email received... Nassau for me!

I've got a B2B on Navigator a few weeks before so I'm going to cancel.  Three visits to Nassau in less than 30 days is too much for me.  I'll put this money into another cruise sometime.  Royal will still get my money, just another day.

Royal Caribbean

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest, 

Yesterday, the United States government declared that effective immediately, educational and recreational (or people-to-people) travel to Cuba is no longer permitted. This new regulation prohibits travel from the U.S. to Cuba by cruise ship, recreational vessel, or non-commercial aircraft. As a result, this change requires us to immediately replace all Cuban ports. 

We understand that this is disappointing and we know how much time and effort go into planning your cruise. While this decision is completely outside of our control, our goal remains the same - to make sure you have a fantastic vacation! Below is our new Majesty of the Seas, October 14, 2019 itinerary, which will be reflected on your reservation by tomorrow, June 6th, 2019.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Mon

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

4:00 PM

Tue

Cruising

Wed

Key West, Florida

8:00 AM

7:00 PM

Thu

Havana, Cuba

Cruising

Fri

Havana, Cuba

Nassau, Bahamas

8:00 AM

6:00 PM

Sat

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

7:00 AM

Additionally, to make up for this unexpected change, we are providing the following:

If you sail with us on the new itinerary, you will receive:

• A 50% reduction of your cruise fare, excluding any taxes and fees. This amount will be discounted off of your current cruise fare and will be reflected on your reservation by Wednesday, June 12th, 2019. 
  • If you paid your reservation in full, you'll automatically receive a refund for any overpayment. You should see this reflected on your credit card by June 19th, 2019. Please know, times may vary depending on your financial institution.
  • If you haven't yet paid in full, your remaining balance will be based on this 50% cruise fare reduction. 
  • Additionally, you'll receive a refund for any affected pre-paid Royal Caribbean International Cuban shore excursions to your original form of payment. Our Shore Excursions Team will send you an email with the details within the next 3 business days. 

While we hope you choose to stay, if you decide not to sail with us, we'll provide you with a full refund of any paid portion of your cruise fare to the original form of payment, including any non-refundable deposits. If you'd like to cancel your cruise and live in North America, please contact your Travel Advisor or call us at 1-888-281-9344 by Friday, June 7th, 2019. If you live outside of North America, please click here to find your local office's phone number. Please note, if you choose this option, we will not provide additional compensation. You will receive your refund between 3 - 5 business days from the date you cancel.

We are sorry for this unexpected and sudden change, and we thank you for your understanding. It's important to us that every aspect of your vacation is enjoyable, whether you are celebrating a special occasion, or looking to explore, relax, and recharge - we have no doubt your time with us will be amazing. We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon. 

Sincerely,

Aurora Yera-Rodriguez 

Director of Guest Service 

Royal Caribbean International

Below are some answers to questions you may have. 

Why is my sailing being modified?

On June 4th, the United States government declared that effective immediately, educational and recreational (or people-to-people) travel to Cuba is no longer permitted. This new regulation prohibits travel from the U.S. to Cuba by cruise ship, recreational vessel, or non-commercial aircraft. As a result, this change requires us to immediately replace all Cuban ports. 

Will Royal Caribbean International be providing compensation to guests booked on this voyage?

If you sail with us on the new itinerary, you will receive:

• A 50% reduction of your cruise fare, excluding any taxes and fees. This amount will be discounted off of your current cruise fare and will be reflected on your reservation by Wednesday, June 12th, 2019. 
  • If you paid your reservation in full, you'll automatically receive a refund for any overpayment. You should see this reflected on your credit card by June 19th, 2019. Please know, times may vary depending on your financial institution.
  • If you haven't yet paid in full, your remaining balance will be based on this 50% cruise fare reduction. 
  • Additionally, you'll receive a refund for any affected pre-paid Royal Caribbean International Cuban shore excursions to your original form of payment. Our Shore Excursions Team will send you an email with the details within the next 3 business days. 

While we hope you choose to stay, if you decide not to sail with us, we'll provide you with a full refund of any paid portion of your cruise fare to the original form of payment, including any non-refundable deposits. If you'd like to cancel your cruise and live in North America, please call us at 1-888-281-9344 by Friday, June 7th, 2019. If you like outside of North America, please click here to find your local office's phone number. Please note, if you choose this option, we will not provide additional compensation. You will receive your refund between 3 - 5 business days from the date you cancel.

How/when will I receive my refund?

A refund in the value of 50% per stateroom of your cruise fare, which is based on your total cruise fare, excluding any of taxes and fees. This amount will be discounted off of your current cruise fare and will be reflected on your reservation by Wednesday, June 12th, 2019. If you paid your reservation in full, you'll automatically receive a refund for any overpayment. You should see this reflected on your credit card by June 19th, 2019. Please know, times may vary depending on your financial institution. Additionally, you'll receive a refund for any affected pre-paid Royal Caribbean International Cuban shore excursions to your original form of payment. Our Shore Excursions Team will send you an email with the details within the next 3 business days. 

Will Royal Caribbean International reimburse incurred expenses for the Cuban visa?

Unfortunately, this situation was out of our control. That being said, if you purchased your visa prior to boarding, we will not be providing any refunds.

What if I booked a shore excursion?

If you have any Royal Caribbean International Cuban shore excursions pre-paid, you'll receive a refund as a credit. You may use this credit anywhere onboard and if you don't use it, it'll be refunded back onto your credit card on file.

If I cancel, will you be refunding my Royal Caribbean Travel Protection?

Royal Caribbean Travel Protection will be refunded. 

Will I receive a refund for the new port taxes? 

If the new port taxes are less than the Cuban ports, you'll receive a refund on the last day of your cruise. 

What if I want to cancel, but my reservation was a NextCruise booking?

NextCruise Onboard Credits that were applied to Cuba sailings can be reapplied to new bookings.

28 minutes ago, KLA said:

It's Costa Maya and Cozumel for us instead of Cienfuegos and Havana - totally fine with this change (all things considered - definitely sad about not seeing Cuba but can't do anything about it) - already booked Nachi Cocom. 

Loved, loved, loved Nachi when we were there in April. 

We had Havana replaced by NO PORT!  Another day at seas on the smallest and oldest ship in the fleet is not what we hoped for.  ANYWHERE would have been better than a sea day.  They managed to take a bad situation and make is worse.  5 night cruise with two ports...Seems like even some shorter voyages have managed to add a new port - may be the're nothing they could do, but it sucks no matter how you slice it.

39 minutes ago, FoxboroCruiser said:

They managed to take a bad situation and make is worse.  5 night cruise with two ports...Seems like even some shorter voyages have managed to add a new port - may be the're nothing they could do, but it sucks no matter how you slice it.

Keep in mind changing ports at the last minute is no easy task. They cannot just go anywhere they want. Every port has a cost to go there, not to mention port calls are usually scheduled years in advance because space is quite limited. Unfortunately, given the extraordinary circumstances the cruise line is doing the best they can with the limited options they have.

You should also know you can cancel with no penalty if the revised sailing is not to your liking.

Seems like they managed to change the port for the current cruise... Just wish we received the same.  Looks like MOST voyages are getting new ports.  We get that it's difficult but wouldn't you be disappointed too?  Seems to me they could have figured out something better than a seas day, that's all.

One concern we have is how is the crew going to react to this situation?  Many of them are likely losing their jobs when RCCL send the Empress out to pasture a second time.  I hope they find a way to motivate them to still be happy and helpful.  As professional as a person can be, something like this situation has to have an impact.  One hope we have is that many people cancel and the ship is less crowded..

We have a vow renewal ceremony scheduled for Key West on Tuesday, and a number of other things planned in and around this trip.  Many I can't get my money back for.  I ma not a negative or pessimistic person by nature, but the added disappointment of not getting a new port stings, and I don't just blindly assume that RC did all they could to find a better solution than a second sea day on a small old ship.  We're disappointed, but are trying to rally and find ways to make this work.

20 minutes ago, FoxboroCruiser said:

Seems like they managed to change the port for the current cruise... Just wish we received the same.  Looks like MOST voyages are getting new ports.  We get that it's difficult but wouldn't you be disappointed too?  Seems to me they could have figured out something better than a seas day, that's all.

One concern we have is how is the crew going to react to this situation?  Many of them are likely losing their jobs when RCCL send the Empress out to pasture a second time.  I hope they find a way to motivate them to still be happy and helpful.  As professional as a person can be, something like this situation has to have an impact.  One hope we have is that many people cancel and the ship is less crowded..

We have a vow renewal ceremony scheduled for Key West on Tuesday, and a number of other things planned in and around this trip.  Many I can't get my money back for.  I ma not a negative or pessimistic person by nature, but the added disappointment of not getting a new port stings, and I don't just blindly assume that RC did all they could to find a better solution than a second sea day on a small old ship.  We're disappointed, but are trying to rally and find ways to make this work.

Maybe instead of the cruise you could make a vacation just to Key West.. Honestly I think Empress is not a fun ship.. I know I know people are going to yell at me for this but I went on it and it just wasn't up to snuff in my opinion.. What if you took the full refund option and then spent that money to fly to key west and make a trip of that.. You might have more fun that way. 

23 minutes ago, FoxboroCruiser said:

Every situation is going to be different. Maybe they got lucky and had port availability in the general vicinity of the northern Caribbean for this week, or next week, or the week after, but that doesn't mean they to four weeks from now, or two months from now.

17 hours ago, twangster said:

Full refund if you choose not to sail or 50% refund if you keep your booking.  Sounds pretty fair to me.

I don't however think they accept requests for alternate ports.  i.e. - "no Nassau please"

I actually sent their facebook team a message right after the rules changed saying please not nassau and Coco Cay because people booked the Cuba cruise to go to an unusual destination.  Guess where we are going.  But it will be great fun anyway.

52 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

I actually sent their facebook team a message right after the rules changed saying please not nassau and Coco Cay because people booked the Cuba cruise to go to an unusual destination.  Guess where we are going.  But it will be great fun anyway.

Please don't take this the wrong way but I'm curious where do you consider a fair port to go to? Keep in mine these cruises are 4 and 5 nights so they are limited with distance.. They cant make it to the Eastern Caribbean or Southern Caribbean in the short time frame.. Thats why I think they keep picking Mexico, Nassau, and Coco Cay because where else can they go?

23 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

Please don't take this the wrong way but I'm curious where do you consider a fair port to go to? Keep in mine these cruises are 4 and 5 nights so they are limited with distance.. They cant make it to the Eastern Caribbean or Southern Caribbean in the short time frame.. Thats why I think they keep picking Mexico, Nassau, and Coco Cay because where else can they go?

Yeah that was my point earlier...there's only so many places to go in a short time. And a place that someone will like, another will hate. And then factor in places that are already full because other ships don't have to change destinations and have been booked in to there for ages. Nothing about this is ideal, but options are limited for the cruise line at this point.

5 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

Yeah that was my point earlier...there's only so many places to go in a short time. And a place that someone will like, another will hate. And then factor in places that are already full because other ships don't have to change destinations and have been booked in to there for ages. Nothing about this is ideal, but options are limited for the cruise line at this point.

Agreed. And I get it people invested flights into this but if it were me I would be taking the full refund and going another time somewhere else. I don't like small ships.. I have been on Empress and absolutely hated it so top that with No Cuba I would be doing the refund option..

I agree the options are limited.  This is the 3rd time in 4 yrs that we will be in Nassau.  Everytime we have been there all berths were filled.  Carnival, NCL, Disney and RCL.

I think the problem for many cruisers are that it is a 4 or 5 night cruise, and many people add on hotels before and after, plus flying in.  

We actually had 1 cruise route diverted 48 hrs prior to New England from Bermuda/Bahamas and got the 50% off refund.  It was the best cruise ever!  It sailed sold out.  Every passenger was just happy as pie.  The staff seemed even more attentive, in part I think due to fear of upset passengers.

The lesson my husband and I learned out of that we now drive to ports...no more flying.  We are in VA, so even when we go out of FL., we add 1 more day on each end and make it a vacay....Charleston, is a very nice stop.  

2 hours ago, FoxboroCruiser said:

Seems like they managed to change the port for the current cruise... Just wish we received the same. 

There are factors that will vary from week to week. Perhaps the ports the current sailing is visiting is not available for your week. 

2 hours ago, FoxboroCruiser said:

We get that it's difficult but wouldn't you be disappointed too?

You can be disappointed, but I still think you'll have a great cruise vacation, the port not withstanding.

51 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

Agreed. And I get it people invested flights into this but if it were me I would be taking the full refund and going another time somewhere else. I don't like small ships.. I have been on Empress and absolutely hated it so top that with No Cuba I would be doing the refund option..

I literally sail next week.  I looked at the other cruise options (well for royal anyway) and changing just wasnt happening.  We already had 4 days sandwiched around the cruise scheduled to be in fort Lauderdale and didn't want to do more there.  I could probably figure something out but I'm going with the any cruise ship is better than none!  I haven't been as small as majesty but really liked vision for my first cruise and figure what the heck.  We have the drink pkg.

Can anyone tell me how insanely crowded nassau gets with 5 ships in port?  I'm thinking of doing free stuff... Stairs, fort, maybe rum distillery.  Jane

Just now, mom2mybugs said:

I literally sail next week.  I looked at the other cruise options (well for royal anyway) and changing just wasnt happening.  We already had 4 days sandwiched around the cruise scheduled to be in fort Lauderdale and didn't want to do more there.  I could probably figure something out but I'm going with the any cruise ship is better than none!  I haven't been as small as majesty but really liked vision for my first cruise and figure what the heck.  We have the drink pkg.

Can anyone tell me how insanely crowded nassau gets with 5 ships in port?  I'm thinking of doing free stuff... Stairs, fort, maybe rum distillery.  Jane

I totally understand your situation.. I live in Ft. Lauderdale so I don't have the same set of issues you do. If I were in your situation I would of taken the refund and gone to Disney lol and then came down to Ft. Lauderdale. (I am a big Disney nerd).. But I totally feel for you. I have been following your posts and you were so excited.. Thank God you are on Majesty and not Empress.. Majesty is a much better ship in my opinion.. If you liked Vision I think you will like Majesty they are pretty similar except for how the windjammer is laid out.. I am just personally not a small ship fan. They are boring to me lol. I need a ship with good Shows, a lot of restaurant options, and a Nice big Casino so small ships just don't fit the bill for me but like I said I am so sorry this happened to you and I do hope you have a Fantastic time.. I don't have any Nassau advice for you because I always stay on the ship when going there but I am sure some people on here will have advice for you.. 

@mom2mybugs  we have always been there with at least 3 other cruise ships.  Remember this is a location that many will do the Clam Tram (jeep), catamaran, swim with dolphins, sting rays, go to Pearl Island,  Atlantis, etc.  So as Matt says once you get past the pier you will see the crowds dissipate.

Plus, each time we were there the ships were docking and leaving ports at different times.  I remember once when we pulled in at 8 :30 a.m. Carnival was right to the right of us already docked at the pier.  Disney was coming in right behind us, and docked to the left of us.  By the time we debarked NCL was slipping into their berth.  I want to say we departed at 5, and when we left every one of the other ships were already gone.  We watched both Carnival and NCL depart because we were back on the ship.

2 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

I totally understand your situation.. I live in Ft. Lauderdale so I don't have the same set of issues you do. If I were in your situation I would of taken the refund and gone to Disney lol and then came down to Ft. Lauderdale. (I am a big Disney nerd).. But I totally feel for you. I have been following your posts and you were so excited.. Thank God you are on Majesty and not Empress.. Majesty is a much better ship in my opinion.. If you liked Vision I think you will like Majesty they are pretty similar except for how the windjammer is laid out.. I am just personally not a small ship fan. They are boring to me lol. I need a ship with good Shows, a lot of restaurant options, and a Nice big Casino so small ships just don't fit the bill for me but like I said I am so sorry this happened to you and I do hope you have a Fantastic time.. I don't have any Nassau advice for you because I always stay on the ship when going there but I am sure some people on here will have advice for you.. 

Oh I totally thought of Disney... Totally obsessed Disney fan here lol!  However, I went 2x to Disney without my husband in 2017/18 and if I do it with the girls again he might be rather peeved lol!  I just truly need sun and an adult beverage and I should be good lol!  And I have Europe to look forward to in July so this yolo book it will still be ok!  I could be dangerous if I lived in Florida between the mouse and the ships lol!  Jane

Despite being only a teenager, I thinks its absurd due the fact that it was banned so they don't support communism. I'm not against any cruise lines as its the government but its wrong. Why not ban china and other communist countries. Also does this ban apply to British cruises (P&O)

2 minutes ago, FreedomClassKid said:

Despite being only a teenager, I thinks its absurd due the fact that it was banned so they don't support communism. I'm not against any cruise lines as its the government but its wrong. Why not ban china and other communist countries. Also does this ban apply to British cruises (P&O)

It's easy to say communism is the reason for this. But the truth is, as always, somewhat deeper. I'm not going to get in to all of the details, as that can get political really quickly, but don't fool yourself in to thinking communism is the main reason for this in 2019. It isn't. Also, most countries have a way of changing their tune if it benefits them. In the case of US-Cuba relations, US doesn't really gain much from Cuba...they do, however, from China.

2 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

It's easy to say communism is the reason for this. But the truth is, as always, somewhat deeper. I'm not going to get in to all of the details, as that can get political really quickly, but don't fool yourself in to thinking communism is the main reason for this in 2019. It isn't. Also, most countries have a way of changing their tune if it benefits them. In the case of US-Cuba relations, US doesn't really gain much from Cuba...they do, however, from China.

Makes sense, thanks!

31 minutes ago, FreedomClassKid said:

Also does this ban apply to British cruises (P&O)

There are a couple of cruise lines that visit Cuba from non-US ports like the Dominican.  There are some details that play into that too though.  Once a foreign flagged ship visits Cuba for this purpose there can be a waiting period before that ship is allowed to visit the US.  If they continue going to Cuba from a non-US port that can work for non-US guests, so long as they don't try to bring that ship to the US for a while after they stop going to Cuba with it.  If that ship goes to Europe or some other region, no problem. 

It gets complicated pretty quickly.

2 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

Oh I totally thought of Disney... Totally obsessed Disney fan here lol!  However, I went 2x to Disney without my husband in 2017/18 and if I do it with the girls again he might be rather peeved lol!  I just truly need sun and an adult beverage and I should be good lol!  And I have Europe to look forward to in July so this yolo book it will still be ok!  I could be dangerous if I lived in Florida between the mouse and the ships lol!  Jane

Oh it is dangerous let me tell you.. I live 15 min from Port Everglades, 30 Min from port of Miami and, 3 hours from Disney. Lets just say I am on vacation a lot. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time with your girls. I do feel bad its not exactly what you wanted but you have such a great attitude I'm sure it will be a blast. 

Extension for refunds has been offered:

Royal Caribbean

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

Yesterday, we shared that your upcoming 2019 Cuba sailing was modified due to the recent travel restriction. We advised that if you wanted to cancel, you should contact us by Friday, June 7th, 2019, but we realize you may need a bit more time to make the best decision for your vacation. As a result, feel free to contact us by Wednesday, June 19th, 2019 to make this decision.

If you’d like to cancel your cruise and live in North America, please contact your Travel Advisor or call us at 1-888-281-9344. If you live outside of North America, please click here to find your local office’s phone number. Please remember, you’ll receive your refund between 3 – 5 business days from the date you cancel.

Again, we are terribly sorry for this unexpected and sudden change, and we thank you for your understanding. It’s important to us that every aspect of your vacation is enjoyable.

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

9 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

I really do not know.  I was somewhat joking with them.  I didn't say it was not fair, just something for them to think about.  I really do not know the options.  Having said that, I am gladly going.  I really wanted to see the new stuff at coco cay, and I don't mind staying onboard if I cannot think of anything I want to do in Nassau.  I think they are being beyond fair with the compensation, especially for those of us who had the comp cruises through MyVegas.  In effect they are giving me $1000 to take this cruise.  I think that is way above and beyond.  Also the 50% makes Carnival's $100 look really bad, but then again they just had to pay $20,000,000 in fines so maybe that's all they can afford.  

1 hour ago, MrMarc said:

I really do not know.  I was somewhat joking with them.  I didn't say it was not fair, just something for them to think about.  I really do not know the options.  Having said that, I am gladly going.  I really wanted to see the new stuff at coco cay, and I don't mind staying onboard if I cannot think of anything I want to do in Nassau.  I think they are being beyond fair with the compensation, especially for those of us who had the comp cruises through MyVegas.  In effect they are giving me $1000 to take this cruise.  I think that is way above and beyond.  Also the 50% makes Carnival's $100 look really bad, but then again they just had to pay $20,000,000 in fines so maybe that's all they can afford.  

Carnival is always a joke in my opinion lol.. And I didn't mean to single you out.. I was just mostly curious where people think would be fair places to go? I just feel like people forget that with 4-5 night trips the only places they can actually go to are Jamaica, Mexico, Nassau, Key West, Coco Cay, and Labadee.. All the other places require too much time to get to.. But im glad you got a really good deal.. Like you said its like they are paying you to cruise lol. Enjoy your trip I know its not exactly what you wanted but I'm glad you are trying to make the best of it. 

14 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

Carnival is always a joke in my opinion lol.. And I didn't mean to single you out.. I was just mostly curious where people think would be fair places to go? I just feel like people forget that with 4-5 night trips the only places they can actually go to are Jamaica, Mexico, Nassau, Key West, Coco Cay, and Labadee.. All the other places require too much time to get to.. But im glad you got a really good deal.. Like you said its like they are paying you to cruise lol. Enjoy your trip I know its not exactly what you wanted but I'm glad you are trying to make the best of it. 

Thanks.  Honestly Just the story of being paid to take a cruise is priceless in itself.