Sign in to follow this  
mom2mybugs

Limbo....Cuba!!!!

On royalcaribbeancom.  

We are aware of the new U.S. travel restrictions to Cuba and we are analyzing the details to understand the impact to future sailings.  We expect to know more within the next 24 hours and will communicate any changes as soon as we are able.  In the meantime, we are adjusting the itineraries of our June 5 and June 6 sailings, which will no longer stop in Cuba. We are communicating with our guests about those changes. 

7 minutes ago, FoxboroCruiser said:

On royalcaribbeancom.  

We are aware of the new U.S. travel restrictions to Cuba and we are analyzing the details to understand the impact to future sailings.  We expect to know more within the next 24 hours and will communicate any changes as soon as we are able.  In the meantime, we are adjusting the itineraries of our June 5 and June 6 sailings, which will no longer stop in Cuba. We are communicating with our guests about those changes. 

RIP cuba cruise 😔 was planning on going next year before all this.

Damn. I have a cruise booked on Virgin to Cuba next year. So long for that. I did however manage to get more Cuban cigars then 10 adults could ever smoke in a lifetime so I feel good about that. There will be many relaxing Key West & Fort Lauderdale evenings with a Cuban cigar in hand.... Guess the next move is to cancel our voyage on Mr Bransons scarlet lady. 

The June 10 Majesty sailing is still in limbo.  I think they are trying to figure out if a specific license will be issued for a previously scheduled cruise or not.  But having a bunch of tourists in Cuba limits how the country can respond to Venezuela, so that may be a factor in this whole thing.  In a way it's exciting, my vacation is embroiled in world politics.  

I have a few choice words but @Matt said no profanity.  Of all the places to detour, I'd rather it not be too Costa Maya...I'd like to go someplace new.  How about cococay...I need a perfect day lol.  So heartbroken but guess I just wait a week and a half and we see what happens.  

If they refund 50% to onboard credit, does it turn into a refund after the cruise if you don't spend it all?  Jane

I would definitely like someone sailing out on June the 10th to provide their itinerary because I'm sure that this will be the fate for all us who paid in full for a cruise to Cuba. I don't care how much refund they are wanting to provide for not sailing to Cuba it will not compensate. We've been to Cococay and it's a man made beach, and the experience getting on a smaller boat to arrive at the beach was more of a hassle vs going to the beach. They might have updated the beach's port and can pull in like Disney's Private Beach. If it was possible and Disney at least had pity on us and let us use their Private Beach instead, I would be 100% down for it!!! Otherwise No Bueno👿 

2 hours ago, Jzx1103 said:

Ok not good, according to both CNN and Reuters, on their Twitter it states that effective midnight tonight, all cruise ships or pleasure boats will be barred from leaving the U.S. to Cuba, no Grace Period given. Trump administration is giving cruise lines 24 hours to change their itineraries. 

Royal Caribbean has ships and passengers immediately impacted. Spokesman Owen Torres told USA TODAY in a statement, "We are aware of the announcement and are analyzing the details to understand the impact on our itineraries.  In the meantime, we are adjusting the itineraries of our June 5 and June 6 sailings, which will no longer stop in Cuba. We are communicating with our guests about those changes."

I feel awful for those of you who are affected by these itin changes but I have NO sympathy whatsoever for Royal Caribbean.  They knew da*n well that this outcome was a very real possibility back in April but they rolled the dice and continued to advertise and book these Cuba cruises.  Now they're going to have to refund money and grovel for forgiveness when much of this could have been avoided.  If I had enough vacation time on the books (which I certainly do NOT) I would have quickly booked one of the Cuba sailings JUST to get the doubtless OBC that will come the way of those who are being inconvenienced.  As a shareholder I am incensed.  Share prices are already falling.

24 minutes ago, CruisinForABruisin said:

Well, this sucks. Hoping for a cococay replacement, and not Costa maya. But if that results in Nassau instead of cozumel, I'm gonna be horribly disappointed. 

It will be interesting...I’m on the 4 day so hoping key west stays and cococay is next! Though we leave on June 15 so there will be no planner deals like I got on my Cuba excursion.  I’ve never been to Nassau but people don’t seem thrilled. Jane

2 hours ago, Nasha said:

I would definitely like someone sailing out on June the 10th to provide their itinerary because I'm sure that this will be the fate for all us who paid in full for a cruise to Cuba. I don't care how much refund they are wanting to provide for not sailing to Cuba it will not compensate. We've been to Cococay and it's a man made beach, and the experience getting on a smaller boat to arrive at the beach was more of a hassle vs going to the beach. They might have updated the beach's port and can pull in like Disney's Private Beach. If it was possible and Disney at least had pity on us and let us use their Private Beach instead, I would be 100% down for it!!! Otherwise No Bueno👿 

I am on that 6/10 Majesty sailing with Havana stop on 6/13-14 and will post when I get the word. Right now the email I received says we will update you tomorrow by 6pm.

6:50PM update: The Majesty of the Seas June 5th sailing has swapped out its scheduled stop in Havana to Costa Maya, Mexico.

In an email sent to guests, the cruise line added guests on this sailing will receive a refund in the value of 50% per stateroom the your cruise fare paid as a credit to their onboard account during the cruise.

8:00PM update: Royal Caribbean has indicated a new update will be available by June 6, at 6:00PM EST.

8 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I feel awful for those of you who are affected by these itin changes but I have NO sympathy whatsoever for Royal Caribbean.  They knew da*n well that this outcome was a very real possibility back in April but they rolled the dice and continued to advertise and book these Cuba cruises.  Now they're going to have to refund money and grovel for forgiveness when much of this could have been avoided.  If I had enough vacation time on the books (which I certainly do NOT) I would have quickly booked one of the Cuba sailings JUST to get the doubtless OBC that will come the way of those who are being inconvenienced.  As a shareholder I am incensed.  Share prices are already falling.

I agree with you about the fact that this has been coming for well over a month. RCI as well as others have known this and continued to book sailings and take peoples non refundable deposits. 

Now RCI can look surprised and just switch an itinerary. I hope the folks who want to opt out are given their money back in full.

2 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Someone forgot to tell IT to shut down the ability to book cruises to Cuba  - they're still available to book.

You can still book until June 5th and it will be honored. If RCCL or any other cruiseline book Cuba specific cruises sfter that date, they are knowingly and willfully committing a fraudulent act. They must refund 100% of the deposit or can be facing charges.

11 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Completely agree. My parents are shareholders as well and are just hoping for the best. From a shareholder point of view you have to question cancelling the Independence 2020 UK season as well. With Empress and Majesty itineraries effected how many ships need to make Cococay runs? 

It seems like beyond today and tomorrow's sailings, everything is speculation. 

Really crossing my fingers we still make it there on our November sailing since it's mostly sold out, but I also am not holding my breath that might be the case. 

If we really do get re routed, I'm hoping for Key West and Cozumel instead of Costa Maya or Coco Cay. 

27 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

It will be all shut down till there is a regime change in Venezuela at the earliest.

Everyone knew or had to know this would happen sooner or later.......

Yes...but I literally booked 2 days before the April announcement.  Ugh.. . If only I'd yolo booked the following week! We'd be on a different ship and itinerary.  Jane