Limbo....Cuba!!!!

Everyone cross your fingers and hope that already paid for cruises will be allowed to go to Cuba.  I'm booked with my two girls on majesty June 15.  I don't mind smaller ships, but really this cruise was all about Cuba and my daughter's graduation trip from u of I.   We will still have a great time but we would have tried celebrity or done a longer trip.  Hoping.... Hoping.....   @Matt please update if you hear anything new through the grapevine!  Jane

The Treasury Department in a statement clarified that "certain group people-to-people educational travel that previously was authorized will continue to be authorized where the traveler had already completed at least one travel-related transaction (such as purchasing a flight or reserving accommodation) prior to June 5, 2019

1 minute ago, monctonguy said:

pretty sure I saw that on CNN in the story..or on one of the news sites I saw the story on

I will go hunt again!  Keep checking online lol!  Here I was complaining the guarantee cabin was killing me with the wait... This is worse :(. Jane

2 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

pretty sure I saw that on CNN in the story..or on one of the news sites I saw the story on

It says anyone booked before June 5th will be grandfathered in. The danger really is if Royal has had enough and decides to change itineraries. Although I think since you're sailing in less than 2 weeks you'll probably be ok. Royal will probably change itineraries for any sailings that not already close to sell out.

4 minutes ago, Jzx1103 said:

It says anyone booked before June 5th will be grandfathered in. The danger really is if Royal has had enough and decides to change itineraries. Although I think since you're sailing in less than 2 weeks you'll probably be ok. Royal will probably change itineraries for any sailings that not already close to sell out.

That's what I'm hoping... They don't decide to just screw it and go someplace else.  Jane

6 minutes ago, FoxboroCruiser said:

We are booked on the Empress less than  week away... Monday 6/10, in Havana on Wednesday 6/12.  So we would have completed a transaction before 6/5, since e paid before then...unless I am reading that wrong, we're good to go?

I think we will be good to go because it's already been paid for.  At least that is what I'm reading it as.  But royal is supposedly going to email by the end of the business day with clarification.  Jane

I *think* closer in sailings are more safe and likely to continue as planned due to grandfathering rules.

Where it gets tricky are sailing 30 to 45+ days out.  As you look at over 45 days away traditionally those sail dates may not be fully booked.  The further out you go the more likely they aren't fully booked up.  As you move to 120 days or 150 days away even less likely to be fully booked.  

Somewhere is a date where the numbers don't make sense to continue sailing there.  If 40% of the ship is booked, that's not enough to operate that sailing at a profit.  New guests can't book after today so they'll have to come up with the magic number for each ship and make the call, continue to Cuba, plug in alternate ports or cancel.

I'm scheduled for October.  Quite possible I'm not going to Cuba.  

Looking at 2020 they have a much larger issue.  The 2020 season was just opened.  What do you do with two older ships six months from now?  When is the next earnings call with investors?  They'll be asking that very question.  

13 minutes ago, twangster said:

I *think* closer in sailings are more safe and likely to continue as planned due to grandfathering rules.

Where it gets tricky are sailing 30 to 45+ days out.  As you look at over 45 days away traditionally those sail dates may not be fully booked.  The further out you go the more likely they aren't fully booked up.  As you move to 120 days or 150 days away even less likely to be fully booked.  

Somewhere is a date where the numbers don't make sense to continue sailing there.  If 40% of the ship is booked, that's not enough to operate that sailing at a profit.  New guests can't book after today so they'll have to come up with the magic number for each ship and make the call, continue to Cuba, plug in alternate ports or cancel.

I'm scheduled for October.  Quite possible I'm not going to Cuba.  

Looking at 2020 they have a much larger issue.  The 2020 season was just opened.  What do you do with two older ships six months from now?  When is the next earnings call with investors?  They'll be asking that very question.  

I was really surprised when they opened up the 2020 dates after the late April announcement.  I guess they had to at some point but it seemed like it could go south open wick.  I think you are totally right about the financial issues.  Even my ship is still showing a couple rooms I think.  Heck I got another royal up reminder again....I'd be tempted except for no double points!  

Do you have a guess on the break even point for the a small ship like majesty to sail capacity wise.  Is it a smaller ratio than say the larger ships or would they be the same....   Jane

Is Cuba on your bucket list? Book now or you may lose your chance!

As you have likely heard, the Trump Administration is imposing new restrictions on travel to Cuba, and specifically the People to People category of travel.

The good news is, if you book before tomorrow, June 5th, your reservation will be protected and grandfathered into the new regulations!

The new regulations will be official tomorrow!

1 minute ago, mom2mybugs said:

Do you have a guess on the break even point for the a small ship like majesty to sail capacity wise.  Is it a smaller ratio than say the larger ships or would they be the same....   Jane

Only Royal knows.  

The ships are "paid for" so to say.  They have higher operating costs now versus ten years ago.  Only Royal knows the break even point and I'm sure there are a lot of meetings going on in Royal HQ right now over this.  

Guest toodle68

So if on 6/6 a sailing in Sept is only 60% full, they effectively can not take any more bookings for the whole cruise. 

Unless they take bookings but those new passengers can not get off the ship?

If the former, I can't see how any cruise beyond 30-50 days can survive. 

20 minutes ago, toodle68 said:

So if on 6/6 a sailing in Sept is only 60% full, they effectively can not take any more bookings for the whole cruise. 

Unless they take bookings but those new passengers can not get off the ship?

If the former, I can't see how any cruise beyond 30-50 days can survive. 

Something like that.  

Accepting new bookings after today may violate the updated policy.  Once the ship enters territorial waters of Cuba any one on the ship is effectively in Cuba.  Getting off the ship is a subtle nuance, you are in Cuba even if you never step on Cuban soil.  You wouldn't have to purchase a Cuban VISA but upon returning to the US in the eyes of US immigration you have been to Cuba.    

I've never seen a cruise offered that goes to a port where only select, qualifying guests are allowed to leave the ship.  I highly doubt they would do that.

Sailing on 6/23 on Empress.  I've seen a lot of references to the elimination of "people to people contact" which would include RC-sponsored excursions.  On the OFAC form, we intended to check "Support for the Cuban People"(31 C.F.R. sect. 515.574), and keep a full-time itinerary of at least 6 hours of activity (including car tour, walking tour) with a Cuban independent guide.  What gives with that?  Is "Support for the Cuban People" still a thing?

27 minutes ago, Grenadyr said:

I'm wondering RCI will offer to move people from later sailings, who are already authorized to visit Cuba, to earlier sailings to fill more ships.

Thinking not if it counts as any sort of new booking.  Jane

Ok not good, according to both CNN and Reuters, on their Twitter it states that effective midnight tonight, all cruise ships or pleasure boats will be barred from leaving the U.S. to Cuba, no Grace Period given. Trump administration is giving cruise lines 24 hours to change their itineraries. 

So much for making accommodations prior to June 5th.  Why are ships being treated so differently?    Now we are taking our first real vacation in 9 years on a ship we would never have booked if not for this itinerary.  I wish I could cancel everything, flights, hotel reservations, excursions, drink package, wifi, all of it and start over.  We are heartbroken.

8 minutes ago, Jzx1103 said:

Ok not good, according to both CNN and Reuters, on their Twitter it states that effective midnight tonight, all cruise ships or pleasure boats will be barred from leaving the U.S. to Cuba, no Grace Period given. Trump administration is giving cruise lines 24 hours to change their itineraries. 

can you link to these tweets?  I am on CNN twitter page and do not see that message.

On royalcaribbeancom.  

We are aware of the new U.S. travel restrictions to Cuba and we are analyzing the details to understand the impact to future sailings.  We expect to know more within the next 24 hours and will communicate any changes as soon as we are able.  In the meantime, we are adjusting the itineraries of our June 5 and June 6 sailings, which will no longer stop in Cuba. We are communicating with our guests about those changes. 

7 minutes ago, FoxboroCruiser said:

On royalcaribbeancom.  

We are aware of the new U.S. travel restrictions to Cuba and we are analyzing the details to understand the impact to future sailings.  We expect to know more within the next 24 hours and will communicate any changes as soon as we are able.  In the meantime, we are adjusting the itineraries of our June 5 and June 6 sailings, which will no longer stop in Cuba. We are communicating with our guests about those changes. 

RIP cuba cruise ? was planning on going next year before all this.

Damn. I have a cruise booked on Virgin to Cuba next year. So long for that. I did however manage to get more Cuban cigars then 10 adults could ever smoke in a lifetime so I feel good about that. There will be many relaxing Key West & Fort Lauderdale evenings with a Cuban cigar in hand.... Guess the next move is to cancel our voyage on Mr Bransons scarlet lady. 

The June 10 Majesty sailing is still in limbo.  I think they are trying to figure out if a specific license will be issued for a previously scheduled cruise or not.  But having a bunch of tourists in Cuba limits how the country can respond to Venezuela, so that may be a factor in this whole thing.  In a way it's exciting, my vacation is embroiled in world politics.  

I have a few choice words but @Matt said no profanity.  Of all the places to detour, I'd rather it not be too Costa Maya...I'd like to go someplace new.  How about cococay...I need a perfect day lol.  So heartbroken but guess I just wait a week and a half and we see what happens.  

If they refund 50% to onboard credit, does it turn into a refund after the cruise if you don't spend it all?  Jane

I would definitely like someone sailing out on June the 10th to provide their itinerary because I'm sure that this will be the fate for all us who paid in full for a cruise to Cuba. I don't care how much refund they are wanting to provide for not sailing to Cuba it will not compensate. We've been to Cococay and it's a man made beach, and the experience getting on a smaller boat to arrive at the beach was more of a hassle vs going to the beach. They might have updated the beach's port and can pull in like Disney's Private Beach. If it was possible and Disney at least had pity on us and let us use their Private Beach instead, I would be 100% down for it!!! Otherwise No Bueno? 

2 hours ago, Jzx1103 said:

Royal Caribbean has ships and passengers immediately impacted. Spokesman Owen Torres told USA TODAY in a statement, "We are aware of the announcement and are analyzing the details to understand the impact on our itineraries.  In the meantime, we are adjusting the itineraries of our June 5 and June 6 sailings, which will no longer stop in Cuba. We are communicating with our guests about those changes."

I feel awful for those of you who are affected by these itin changes but I have NO sympathy whatsoever for Royal Caribbean.  They knew da*n well that this outcome was a very real possibility back in April but they rolled the dice and continued to advertise and book these Cuba cruises.  Now they're going to have to refund money and grovel for forgiveness when much of this could have been avoided.  If I had enough vacation time on the books (which I certainly do NOT) I would have quickly booked one of the Cuba sailings JUST to get the doubtless OBC that will come the way of those who are being inconvenienced.  As a shareholder I am incensed.  Share prices are already falling.