Keeping up with your Seapass- First Timers

We are headed out on our first cruise with 11 family members in August. I see everything is attached to the SeaPass- room key, drinks etc. Is this a Card Key, and how the heck do you keep up with it without misplacing it? Does it have a place where a lanyard can attach?

Some ships will punch holes where you can attach lanyards.  Some people opt to use lanyards that have a plastic sleeve to hold the card.  Some folks keep them in their pockets with no problem.  

It is a key card similar to any key you get for hotel rooms these days.

I'd recommend against the hole punch if on a newer ship.  For example, the Harmony has a new type of card with an embedded antenna because it is used with a proximity reader -- you tap and go.  However, on the Harmony you also place your SeaPass in the light switch by the door (as in many German hotels).  Thus, when you leave your stateroom, all lights turn out after about a minute.  Given all of this, you want a plastic sleeve on a lanyard.  You can buy souvenir lanyards at the port check in or on the ship ($8 and up), or you can recycle some other holder you may have.  I recommend "hard" plastic as soft plastic tends to tear -- you don't want to lose the SeaPass.  The advantage of all of this is that you can lock up your wallet in your room safe and wander the ship with just your SeaPass.  Avoid magnets - like a purse/satchel with a magnetic snap.  Some cruisers have two lanyards, a 'dressier" version for dining out and the standard version for the pool.  One thought--a couple of people in your party will likely want a water-proof holder -- the large size that can hold a phone and has double snaps to seal the seal, as it were.  This is useful when you are at the beach or the pool and no one is available to watch your bags.  Bags are pilfered all the time, so never leave your lanyard or valuables unattended.  Places like Coco Cay and many excursion sites also have lockers.   Have fun!  Don't get discouraged by lines or delays, just go with the flow and become familiar with all of the resources your ship will offer.  There is always a quiet place or dining venue that is calm, friendly, and less hectic than WindJammer.

Well . I am pretty anal about always having 3 things these days, my keys, my billfold and my phone. Having a pocket for the phone got me to buying cargo type pants and shorts. There are not many times I do not have extra pockets.

While cruising, all you need on board is the Seapass card. The same anal tendencies for keys/phone etc are simply extended to the Seapass card. I just always make sure it is in a pocket before I walk out of the cabin. I do not use my phone on board. I carry the phone  when going ashore but it goes back in the safe on the ship. I just don't need it.

Keep it simple.

5 hours ago, DeAnne said:

We are headed out on our first cruise with 11 family members in August. I see everything is attached to the SeaPass- room key, drinks etc. Is this a Card Key, and how the heck do you keep up with it without misplacing it? Does it have a place where a lanyard can attach?

@DeAnne I got these lanyards on Amazon Canada also available on Amazon US site they also come with the luggage tags. The Royal luggage tags are longer and thinner than some other cruise lines.

8EFB1527-A416-4429-AD09-03B4C5864A73.png