Accessable rooms

I have a question about accessable rooms... I was in a bad car accident and have been using a wheelchair for almost a year exclusively, up until the last few months. We booked an accessable room for our cruise this November, as it was expected that I would need it. I am still using the chair most of the time, but my physical therapy is going better than anyone expected it would. 

I know how limited these rooms are and honestly I have lost sleep over the fact that there's a chance I *may* not actually need the chair when we go. I looked up the RC policy and it says they're quite strict and that we could be kicked out of the room into nother one if it's found neither of us need an accessable room. The thing is, I did when we booked the cruise and I very well might need it.... I'm just so nervous. I should be happy that I'm regaining the ability to walk on my own, but all I can think about is RC police coming and kicking us out of the room. Also, I don't want to take it away from someone who needs it. The thing is I won't know until much closer to the cruise. Should I call them and let them know the situation?

4 hours ago, backpacker44 said:

I have a question about accessable rooms... I was in a bad car accident and have been using a wheelchair for almost a year exclusively, up until the last few months. We booked an accessable room for our cruise this November, as it was expected that I would need it. I am still using the chair most of the time, but my physical therapy is going better than anyone expected it would. 

I know how limited these rooms are and honestly I have lost sleep over the fact that there's a chance I *may* not actually need the chair when we go. I looked up the RC policy and it says they're quite strict and that we could be kicked out of the room into nother one if it's found neither of us need an accessable room. The thing is, I did when we booked the cruise and I very well might need it.... I'm just so nervous. I should be happy that I'm regaining the ability to walk on my own, but all I can think about is RC police coming and kicking us out of the room. Also, I don't want to take it away from someone who needs it. The thing is I won't know until much closer to the cruise. Should I call them and let them know the situation?

Don’t risk it, take a wheelchair with you, theres lots of walking so you might need it at some point, yes the cabins are limited but lots of able bodied people have now started to book them cause they offer more room and knowing RCI will not check up on them so if you do give it up it might not go to a genuine disabled person.

8 hours ago, backpacker44 said:

They really are not that strict at all. The mostly write that to get people who don't need It not to book.. There are other reasons people need the rooms besides a wheelchair... For instance sometimes I get a scooter and sometimes I don't it depends on the ship but I ALWAYS need a shower chair and the roll in shower. So I always get a handicap room now because I always need the shower chair. Not once has Royal said anything to me or given me a hard time they really aren't allowed because your not really allowed to question people's disabilities in the first place.I think especially in your case you should keep the room just incase you do need the chair you really never know and once you give up that room it will get taken quickly so my advice is keep it and don't feel bad. You have a legitimate reason and its not your fault you booked early enough to get the room. 

To echo the previous post, I wouldn't worry.  We, a family of 3 without any accessibility issues, were once sold an accessible room by the on-board cruise staff because it had been "released" for booking at a certain point a few months before the scheduled departure.  That was on Freedom of the Seas in 2013.  Just act in good faith, and if you have a travel agent, maybe ask your agent to follow-up if your situation changes.  You may find that the fatigue of traveling leads you to use the chair or a walker, anyway.

I'm happy to hear your recovery is going so well!  Congratulations!  I agree with others that you should keep the room.  There is so much distance to travel on board and in ports.   You should bring/rent some kind of mobility device (ie wheelchair, walker, cane) just in case you need backup.  Vacations are different activities from day to day life and I'm sure you'll want to take it all in.  We book accessible rooms because my husband is a full-time wheelchair user.  You freeing up the room at this point will only open it up for an even more abled bodied that definitely won't need the features of the room.  The world needs more thoughtful people such as yourself.  Enjoy your cruise!

Cheryl  

On 6/4/2019 at 1:24 AM, backpacker44 said:

Any chance it Anthems of the sea Nov. 9 ??  We are on the cruise and have also got a accessible room for my son .

I wouldn't consider you having a accesible room a issue . Im sure you'll still be in some sort of recovery still and wouldn't you rather have the room you may need then changing and having problems during the cruise?

Great job on getting back on your feet !!!