Best things to do western mediterranean

haf

What would be the best things to do port-wise for an upcoming cruise on the jewel of the seas (western mediterranean july 2019):

Cartagena(spain)

Barcelona(spain)

Palma(spain)

Ajaccio (france)

Portofino (italy)

I have already gone through several threads and websites but I am interested to have feedback from those that did the same cruise. 

Thanks

I took a very similar cruise 3 weeks ago, stopping in Barcelona, Palma, Ajaccio, and Genoa (Portofino).

Barcelona- we hired a private guide for a half-day walking tour that went to Sagrada Familia and through the Old Town where the Romans established the city. Then we walked the Rambas. Sagrada Familia is NOT to be missed, it is unlike anything you have ever seen in your life, both inside and outside. Book tickets in advance, and expect it to be very crowded. La Rambas is a large pedestrian zone, and as touristy as all get out, but well worth the people watching. Don't stop for a meal there, you'll pay through the nose for low-quality tourist trap food and gigantic beers or sangrias. Getting around was pretty easy. From the cruise terminal, there is a "Cruise Bus" that takes you from the ship to near the Columbus Monument, and from there you can catch a cab or walk a couple of blocks to the Metro, which is very easy to use, and there is a stop right at Sagrada Familia. Word of warning- La Rambas is one of the most likely places in Europe to get pick-pocketed.

Palma- The catherdral is breath-taking, right on the water and made of sandstone instead of limestone like all other churches in Europe. The stained glass inside is amazing, and there is a Gaudi altar inside (a very close copy of the one from Barcelona). We also took a 3 hour e-bike tour that rode along the waterfront and up to the castle overlooking the harbor, found it on TripAdvisor (Green Tours Palma, I think). Overall, Palma is a nice city to walk around and find a good bite and beverage. It is a little more complicated to get from the port to the city center, in that you either have to get a cab from the terminal, or walk a little bit to get to the bus stop (not too bad, but I don't hablo espanol).

Ajaccio- We just walked off the ship, which docks right in town, and wandered the city. We were there on a Sunday, so not a lot was open. There is an open-top bus tour that takes you on a 90-minute-ish round about of the town and surrounding bay. There is a TON of Napoleon stuff (his birthplace) if that interests you. 

Genoa- Once again, we just wandered the town. The aquarium is an easy walk from the cruise port (which by the way is the most attractive cruise terminal I've ever seen from the outside). There is a street lined with palazzos that reminded me of Venice without the canals, and a cathedral with a bell tower and terrace you can walk up for great views. We didn't go to Portofino, but I understand it is reasonably easy to get to.

Barcelona- get a rickshaw tour to see all the sites on a personalised tour and get dropped off wherever you want to spend more time exploring (gothic quarter would be my suggestion ).

Parc Guell (designed by Gaudi) is also well worth a look but you need tickets in advance as they only let a limited number of people in each day. There is a great view to be had over the whole city if you climb the steps at the back of the park.

Getting the tram/funicular up to the amusement park on Mt. Tibidabo also gives great views. 

Sports fans would enjoy a tour of the Camp Nou Football (soccer) Stadium. 

Enjoy - I love Barcelona. It's my favourite European city. So much to see and do. 

6 hours ago, hayley_bopp said:

Barcelona- get a rickshaw tour to see all the sites on a personalised tour and get dropped off wherever you want to spend more time exploring (gothic quarter would be my suggestion ).

Parc Guell (designed by Gaudi) is also well worth a look but you need tickets in advance as they only let a limited number of people in each day. There is a great view to be had over the whole city if you climb the steps at the back of the park.

Getting the tram/funicular up to the amusement park on Mt. Tibidabo also gives great views. 

Sports fans would enjoy a tour of the Camp Nou Football (soccer) Stadium. 

Enjoy - I love Barcelona. It's my favourite European city. So much to see and do. 

You have me getting so excited to see Barcelona in July!    Jane