Anthem J3 to GS?

Well...the unthinkable has happened! This morning I was actually able to bid for an upgrade for the Anthem GC! I guess Royal does not have it out for me after all. To my surprise, I am even able to bid for my upcoming SY cruise (but I am staying put for that one).
Here's what I am weighing out in my mind. Right now we are booked in a J3 (the one with the pullman and 1 1/2 bath). The lowest bid for a GS is $350pp. If I add $700 to what I already paid for the J3, it is still a steal of a deal compared to website prices. I would be giving up the 1 1/2 bath plus the pullman. But..I would gain full day access to CK, suite lounge, suite sundeck, and no reservations for shows. Those are all huge perks to me personally.
Here are my actual questions that I want to bounce off you guys:
  1. Anyone have experience or know someone who bid the minimum on a GS and have success with it?
  2. With an 11 & 13 year old, is it worth it to give up the 1 1/2bath plus pullman for the GS perks?
  3. Is there space in that GS for cot/rollaway bed? I can't tell because of that divider in the room.

I believe the GS room on the Anthem is the same size as the GS on Harmony.  When we cruised on the Harmony recently, our daughter, son-in-law and 3 children (10, 8, 6) were in the room next to us.  One of the grandchildren was officially in our room.  They said they could not put a cot or rollaway in the GS room because of coast guard rules about room size and number of people. They did make up the sofa bed the other direction for all 3 of them and it worked out well.  The one bathroom for the 5 of them was not a problem.  The perks for a Grand Suite are awesome.  We all loved the Coastal Kitchen.  We never ate in the Main Dining Room.  Did the Windjammer for breakfast once and that was enough.  The all day lounge was great for water, soda's etc.  They also have snacks during the day with the grandkids loved.  We loved the quiet suite deck to hang out they put all their belongings while they swam in the pools.  The concierge was able to get us into a couple of shows that were "sold out".  Getting on and off the ship was so fast being in the suite.  

Good luck with your bid on the GS is you choose to go that way.

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeFan said:

They said they could not put a cot or rollaway in the GS room because of coast guard rules about room size and number of people. They did make up the sofa bed the other direction for all 3 of them and it worked out well. 

I am surprised that they let them put 5 into a GS in the first place.  That cabin usually holds a max capacity of 4.

7 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I am surprised that they let them put 5 into a GS in the first place.  That cabin usually holds a max capacity of 4.

They gave our grandchild an extra sea pass card for their parents room which was right next door to us.  She was not listed on the manifest in their room.  We had the balcony wall opened between our rooms.  They just made the sofa bed up with 3 pillows, etc. and at a 90 degree angle to the normal way they make up the sofa bed.  All worked out great!

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeFan said:

They gave our grandchild an extra sea pass card for their parents room which was right next door to us.  She was not listed on the manifest in their room.  We had the balcony wall opened between our rooms.  They just made the sofa bed up with 3 pillows, etc. and at a 90 degree angle to the normal way they make up the sofa bed.  All worked out great!

Oh ok.  That makes more sense then why they wouldn't add the cot.  We would only have two kids in the room but they hate sharing the bed, especially if it's for 9 nights.  We have asked for a cot in suites before, I just wasn't sure if it was physically possible due to the configuration of that particular room.  We also had a GS on Harmony before but we did not have our kids that time.  If I remember correctly, it was a bit tight because of the divider.  Not sure if you can squeeze in a cot near the side table by the balcony door....

Losing the 1/2 bathroom is a factor.  

No Suite Lounge on Anthem, but there is a Concierge Lounge and a nice one with aft views.  However it is a walk from the elevators to the aft CL.

Better chance of CK reservations in a GS over a JS (that gets what's available after suites and pinnacles book it up).   If there is a low pinnacle count on that sailing you may end up okay with JS access to CK, but if it's pinnacle heavy you may just get one or two nights in there at odd hours.  

Keep in mind with RoyalUp there may be no GS actually available.  They may accept bids just in case someone cancels last minute so don't count on it.

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

Better chance of CK reservations in a GS over a JS

This is my main driving factor.

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

Keep in mind with RoyalUp there may be no GS actually available.  They may accept bids just in case someone cancels last minute so don't count on it.

Yes, I would only bid for fun.  Problem is that if by some dumb luck I win it, I would have to explain/justify the $700 to Hubby ?

Although it would be more like $485 cause then I can cancel VOOM.

Now I have another question...bids can be accepted up until 2 days prior to sailing.  Is that too late for Cruise planner cancellations?

5 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Now I have another question...bids can be accepted up until 2 days prior to sailing.  Is that too late for Cruise planner cancellations?

I wouldn't worry about that..you can just cancel it at Guest Services and it will be refundable OBC..or have the Concierge handle it.

You know me.....I'd always say go for the GS but I can see the arguments for the extra bed and 1/2 bath.

Here's probably what I would do.  I would bid something slightly over the minimum bid on the GS knowing that it probably won't win.  If it DOES win then you have a great upgrade at a real bargain.  If it does not win then the worst that can happen is you have a great JS with extra bed and 1/2 bath and you saved yourself some money !

On 6/3/2019 at 9:51 AM, Lovetocruise2002 said:
Well...the unthinkable has happened! This morning I was actually able to bid for an upgrade for the Anthem GC! I guess Royal does not have it out for me after all. To my surprise, I am even able to bid for my upcoming SY cruise (but I am staying put for that one).
Here's what I am weighing out in my mind. Right now we are booked in a J3 (the one with the pullman and 1 1/2 bath). The lowest bid for a GS is $350pp. If I add $700 to what I already paid for the J3, it is still a steal of a deal compared to website prices. I would be giving up the 1 1/2 bath plus the pullman. But..I would gain full day access to CK, suite lounge, suite sundeck, and no reservations for shows. Those are all huge perks to me personally.
Here are my actual questions that I want to bounce off you guys:
  1. Anyone have experience or know someone who bid the minimum on a GS and have success with it?
  2. With an 11 & 13 year old, is it worth it to give up the 1 1/2bath plus pullman for the GS perks?
  3. Is there space in that GS for cot/rollaway bed? I can't tell because of that divider in the room.

I cruise in 4 days.  Was booked in Jr GTY SUite and bid the minimum on a GS ($300/pp) , and today (1 day later) my RoyalUp bid was accepted.  I guess it depends on Supply/Demand.