USB Charging Stations

2 hours ago, OrlandoDad said:

Am I correct in my assumption that I am permitted to bring a 6 Port USB Charging Station on board?  It would not be misconstrued as a 'power strip' or extension cord when going through security in carry on luggage?

Yes, USB hubs appear to be fine... just got back last week on Allure and I used one of these hubs for comparison. I believe it was recommended here on the forum.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P936188/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.png.b4222baa2c7fa7abada72bf6b4b1d062.png

Yup, I carry one everywhere (multiple cruise lines, land/air trips, etc).  The one I use (and have at home as well) is similar to the one above, but also supports USB-C PD, which is helpful for some newer devices, including laptops.  (This one to be exact: https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Anker-Premium-Desktop-Delivery/dp/B072K5ZJXF/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=usb+c+pd+anker&qid=1559514153&s=gateway&sr=8-3&linkCode=sl1&tag=chrc-20&linkId=8e62adf6f737c09a9d2c0462c5e04971&language=en_US)

I have had mixed experiences with them. I brought the type that @JohnK6404 linked above on Enchantment in my checked bag and it got sent down to the naughty room where they grilled me on where my extension cord was. I politely argued with them that I did not have an extension cord, yes I know what one looks like ty, and I will help them go through my bag and I would like them to show me where it was. Overall it didn't take as long as it felt like (prob 5 mins total) and they didn't confiscate my hub but I also didn't volunteer it like "do you think this is what you saw?". On Allure I put it in my carry-on so if there was an issue at least I would know right away and could explain. That time I had no issues whatsoever. I'll definitely be putting it in my carry-on for all future cruises. 

1 hour ago, spiralqueen said:

I have had mixed experiences with them. I brought the type that @JohnK6404 linked above on Enchantment in my checked bag and it got sent down to the naughty room where they grilled me on where my extension cord was. I politely argued with them that I did not have an extension cord, yes I know what one looks like ty, and I will help them go through my bag and I would like them to show me where it was. Overall it didn't take as long as it felt like (prob 5 mins total) and they didn't confiscate my hub but I also didn't volunteer it like "do you think this is what you saw?". On Allure I put it in my carry-on so if there was an issue at least I would know right away and could explain. That time I had no issues whatsoever. I'll definitely be putting it in my carry-on for all future cruises. 

This is simply a matter of them going off only what they can see in an xray.  I had to get our bag from downstairs on one of our Edge sailings.  They asked if I had a power strip, I explained I didn't.  As we opened the bag they asked me if I was sure, I explained that yes, I was quite sure, as I packed the bag and they've not yet looked in it.  It turns out it was my spouse's hair iron.  Long metal object with a cord, which on xray, looks like a power strip - reasonable observation on their part and no big deal for me.  It did make us put that iron in our carry-on when we sailed the next couple times to help ensure we didn't have our bag delayed again.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Has anyone had any success with using something like this? https://www.amazon.com/KINFAYV-Power-Strip-Ports-Outlets/dp/B07HTNBJ2C/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=usb+charging+hub&qid=1560795206&s=gateway&sr=8-6

I would love to be able to use just a charging hub but my camera requires the two prong outlets. 

Mine has just the USB ports, 6 of them, camera has to plug in like you say, you just have to rotate things through if you are in a small room with just 1 plug.

If there is only one US style outlet and one Euro style outlet. Just plug the usb charger into the us outlet and then use an adapter to plug into the camera charger into the Euro style outlet.  Make sure that on whatever device you plug into the Euro outlet check the small print on the charger.  Where it says input, the high number should read 220 or 240. If it is lower than that it will only work in the us style outlet.  

8 hours ago, L454S said:

I just use the Euro outlet in the cabin for my USB charging. Leave the US outlets for other things. Cheap($5 to $10) and work well.

shopping.jpeg

oh!  that's super smart! might as well use it for something!  that frees up the US outlet!  Genius!!  Thanks for sharing!