Documentation when leaving Ship

Hello.

On past cruises, I have always carried our room cards and Passports when leaving the Ship.  But in those cases it was feasible to keep those items on my person at all times (no swimming, etc.)

However, on our upcoming cruise, we have excursions booked where it appears I will not be in physical possession of those documents at all times (snorkeling, etc.)

So I am thinking that I will be taking just room cards for all of us and Driver's Licenses for my wife and I on those excursions.  Is that all we will need in addition to cash/credit card, etc.? 

I assume that in the unlikely event those items are lost, there is a procedure to get us back on the ship.  Security will be able to get to our rooms and retrieve passports for us if needed, or something like that?

Thanks!

Pretty timely, this thread about losing a SeaPass card was just on the boards.

The more fun topic is if you are in port and get left behind with all the famous dock runners videos.  We got a lot of insight while speaking with a crew member who was often the one standing at the port waiting for folks or transferring the passports to the port authorities.  They shared the most common reason for people having passports or even all their belongings removed from the ship in these instances.  It is usually not the careless “lost track of time” pier runner. Usually some sort of situation or emergency causes the guest to request to leave early, or stay behind, and the crew will usually retrieve the passport at minimum.

22 minutes ago, ScooterScott22 said:

....and the crew will usually retrieve the passport at minimum.

Excellent.  Thank You!  This is why I always liked to carry the Passports when I leave the ship.  But on one particular excursion this cruise I would rather leave them on the ship.  It is booked through RCL, so not too worried about being late...just more worried about losing room cards/Driver's Licenses and not being able to re-board the ship.

Nice to know they will be able to get Passports for us in a case like that.

We still bring our passports off the ship even though we won't be in physical possession of them.  In my opinion, a boat snorkeling excursion would be the most likely reason we could miss the ship which is why we bring them.  I feel that way because I'm not in control of the time on when we return however I do enough research to feel comfortable with the risk.  We put them in a ziplock bag and put it towards the bottom of our bag.  The crew is reasonable trustworthy and would lose business and their livelihood if you wrote about theft.  For snorkeling excursions on shore, many times there are lockers that I will rent to lock up our passports, cash, etc.  

Based on my experience, you are correct to limit your documents to SeaPass, ID, and some cash.  Passports should stay in the safe in your stateroom.  You can always take a photocopy of your passport main page if you want extra protection.  In 14 cruises we haven't lost anything off the ship, but we have soaked our passports before we learned to leave them behind.  For beach days, get the special phone-sized plastic holders that will accommodate everything and keep it waterproof.  As for trusting the excursion staff 100%, remember it is also other passengers who present a risk.   I've heard too many tales of pilfered lockers, etc.  Also, you can register foreign travel with the State Department through the STEP program, so the US knows where you are if problems arise.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Orlando Dad, we had  our phones with us on CocoCay & all went on the slides together, used the pictured below item called Lockdown which is a combination locking  bag i bought from Kohls, it was under $20 & is supposed to be slash proof.  Locked it to huge unbrellas attached to picknick table we had as home base.. locked it to arm of chair in cabana as well.  Also locked to beach chairs as i swam and was in view, for my passports( put them in a baggie since not waterproof) in Mexico. This size fit three phones and passports.

2EA798F0-70AC-481E-BE4D-6C6004C5543D.jpeg

B217068B-D396-4896-BC04-EE93E5A167A7.jpeg