Windjammer Themed Dinners on Harmony

AJM

Anyone recently take a Harmony OTS trip and recall what night the Mexican Themed dinner was held on in the Windjammer (if they have one on Harmony)? We went on Adventure OTS last year and missed out on that particular night. We ate at the main dining room each night, which we really enjoyed and would like to continue this time around as well, but do want to have Mexican food at no extra cost this time around. 

Thanks!

I've wondered about this myself.. So, I've come up with a plan.. With the exception of formal nights.. Ill run up and check what theme it is while my wife is getting ready for dinner.. If its a theme we like.. then its back to shorts and t-shirts lol.. if not.. Time to throw on Khakis and a polo and head to the MDR

On 6/3/2019 at 12:02 PM, monctonguy said:

interested to see if its a set theme on different days as well for my Harmony cruise in Nov

i'll be interested also...for that same cruise...for now at least. 

Hubby is a farmer.  So we MIGHT have to reschedule that cruise for another time...Central Indiana farmers are JUST NOW in the fields because of all the rain this spring...so they will likely still be harvesting at Thanksgiving.  ?

On 6/3/2019 at 12:43 PM, FionaMG said:

On our last two cruises (Serenade, December 2017, and Navigator, November/December 2018) the themes for the WJ dinners were shown in the Compass. Don't know if it's the same on Harmony, though.

that's good to know...I don't remember that, I'll have to check to see if there is any consistency.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if anyone is still interested (I just joined these forums today), here is what I found from a very recent cruise of Harmony.  Please note they can change at any time:

Day 1:  Grill 

Day 2:  Crepes

Day 3:  Indian

Day 4:  Caribbean

Day 5:  Mexican

Day 6:  Mixed Grill/Crepes

Day 7:  Mongolian

Hope this helps.  Cheers!

15 minutes ago, raahc said:

My hubby says all days ?

I don't know how he expects me to eat in the MDR, then visit the Windjammer ?

I don't have the same appetite as our last cruise, when we were a lot younger ?

@CGTLH started the phrase "WJ recon".  Hubby's strategy is...WJ recon before dinner, eat main dinner accordingly, go back to WJ afterwards. ?

Just now, AshleyDillo said:

You have to hit up the WJ first for the best photos before the food has been disturbed by the masses!

That's exactly what I was thinking!  Great minds think a like!  So nice to find someone who shares my passion for food and photography!  And there are so many here on the forums - YEA!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE taking food pictures and we always show up early (whenever we eat out) to take pictures before the food is touched, and also to avoid taking pictures of people.  I'm a huge advocate of protecting people's privacy, and I always blur them out if I can't avoid them in shots.

We may have to go to WJ first before our planned trip to to Park Cafe this time around ?

Thanks for the tip and reminder!!! ?

6 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@CGTLH started the phrase "WJ recon".  Hubby's strategy is...WJ recon before dinner, eat main dinner accordingly, go back to WJ afterwards. ?

OMG!!!! That is ??? perfect!  I must tell hubby this! 

But, we're usually running to line up for a show right after dinner (to get good seats, even with a reservation).  Might have to wait until after the show ... then my stomach will have settled in for the second round (I do have a separate stomach for desserts though) ?

4 minutes ago, raahc said:

we're usually running to line up for a show right after dinner (to get good seats, even with a reservation)

Yes, it's always tricky to work around the timing since the WJ closes at 9pm on most ships.  In desperate situations, when rushing to a show, Hubby has even left while waiting for dessert during the main dinner to go grab something in the WJ. 

4 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Yes, it's always tricky to work around the timing since the WJ closes at 9pm on most ships.  In desperate situations, when rushing to a show, Hubby has even left while waiting for dessert during the main dinner to go grab something in the WJ. 

9 pm? Why did hubby think he could sneak another go into the WJ after a show?  ?

Your hubby sounds as silly (and lovable) as mine.  I think mine would make me wait in the lineup while he went to the WJ ... wait, I'm the dessert lover, that might be me ?

I'm going to have to time how long it takes to get to the WJ ?

On 8/14/2019 at 9:32 PM, raahc said:

Not sure if anyone is still interested (I just joined these forums today), here is what I found from a very recent cruise of Harmony.  Please note they can change at any time:

Day 1:  Grill 

Day 2:  Crepes

Day 3:  Indian

Day 4:  Caribbean

Day 5:  Mexican

Day 6:  Mixed Grill/Crepes

Day 7:  Mongolian

Hope this helps.  Cheers!

so they DO have nightly themes in the WJ... cool!    Our Harmony cruise is over Cinco de Mayo  (we are not going to be in Mexico, however), and i have been wondering if they will have any special mexican food / events to celebrate this fun holiday on that day...... either i the MDR/ WJ or otherwise....

38 minutes ago, VanessaV said:

We were on Allure a few years ago during Cinco de Mayo - our stop in Mexico was even on May 5th - and it was like any other day both on and off the ship.

wow...that is so suprising...  what a bummer ...i mean Im sure you had a wonderful time anyway, but seems like a missed opportunity for a special event/ party lol

2 hours ago, VanessaV said:

We were on Allure a few years ago during Cinco de Mayo - our stop in Mexico was even on May 5th - and it was like any other day both on and off the ship.

Yeah, they don't actually celebrate Cinco de Mayo in Mexico. It's pretty much an American deal. (The date is of a fairly minor victory over the French in 1862 during the Franco-Mexican war.) ? 

21 hours ago, KristiZ said:

Yeah, they don't actually celebrate Cinco de Mayo in Mexico. It's pretty much an American deal. (The date is of a fairly minor victory over the French in 1862 during the Franco-Mexican war.) ? 

I know, just thought they might do something since we were in the touristy part & they could make money off it. ?

• 1 month later...

Question - do they offer "generic" entrees, beyond the food theme?  (My mother is a bit picky and would not be happy with the themes on nights 3-5... unfortunately, night 5 will ALSO be a problem for her in the MDR, based on the menu I see...) 

Also, is it correct that on night 5, the WJ (Harmony) usually has a special Chocolate Dessert Buffet?  

3 hours ago, Nopa Notaway said:

Question - do they offer "generic" entrees, beyond the food theme?

Yes.  They will usually only have one station dedicated to the nightly theme and you will find regular, non-themed items.  They usually always have a grill section with various grilled proteins and grilled vegetables as well as a salad bar and prepared salads.

14 hours ago, ChrisK2793 said:

Is dinner in the Windjammer REALLY better tasting /quality than breakfast and lunch?  

I haven't been on Harmony yet, but any other ship..yes!!...Carving stations...different themes....food is fantastic...just serve yourself...but the quality could easily be presented as a sit down meal imho.