DOH! What did you forget to pack?

Just a fun, but necessary question to get all of us thinking about packing for our next cruise(s): what was THAT thing that you forgot to pack? 

For me, it was my slippers. Can't stand going barefoot in the cabin or balcony. Had to dedicate a pair of socks to slipper duty. Needless to say, they were very very dirty on the bottom.

I realized at some point on the flight to Florida that I had forgotten my tie for formal night. While walking through American terminal in Miami I saw a clothing store, so I stopped in and asked about ties.  The sales people didn’t seem very interested but showed me some ties.  There was a whole table and my wife was looking through intently but something felt wrong to me.  I brushed my hand over the ties, casually flipping over a price tag.  I continued to look for about 30 sec then said “thanks but I didn’t see anything I like.”  

We left the store and my wife asked what was wrong with the ties.  She had seen a couple that would have matched. I told her that they were over $100!*

I bought one on the ship on formal night for $10. It’s not a bad tie either.  

* I don’t remember the exact price but it was ridiculously expensive.

49 minutes ago, Skid said:

Hey suite snob (he said respectfully), robes, although maybe not as luxurious, are provided to us lowly non-suite people that are Platinum C&A and above.?

Yes and I will be requesting then on my first Platinum cruise... Well maybe the 2nd.  The room on majesty is going to be so small I might not fit pajamas, much less a robe!  Jane

PANTS!  Seriously, I realized at the airport I forgot to pack pants for our 14 night Panama Canal Honeymoon trip.  Good news is there was a GAP in the airport and I bought some pants.  Wait.... What about formal wear....?  I was married in a kilt so I wore that whole kit for the 3 formal nights so no need for pants...

We were on a 12 day cruise in January.  My DD is on several medications, mainly for epilepsy, so I'm usually neurotic about overpacking her meds (at least 1 week extra, no matter how long we're away). We use a weekly tablet holder, so I had it filled up before the cruise, & packed  (I thought) 2 more weeks supply to take.  At the end of the first week, I took out her meds to refill the weekly holder, & for one of them, I only had one more week, not 2.  Not a disaster, since we would be home before we ran out, but if we had been delayed at all, it would have been a significant issue.....

I have lists on top of lists, sorted as to clothing, toiletries, supplies, etc -- I'm not an organized person by nature, so I need lists to make my life easier

DH is always forgetting a hat, so he has a large collection as well.

My dad had more ties and belts than he would ever need, because invariably when packing for vacation or business trips, he would forget one or the other & have to go shopping.

14 hours ago, CFL said:

We were getting dressed for formal night when my husband realized he brought everything except his dress shirt! 

Somehow Dan's tuxedo coat got separated from the rest of the tuxedo so when he went to get dressed on formal night, no tuxedo coat.  I have no idea how it got separated as the tux lives in a zippered garment bag.  Oh well...he went without his jacket.  The "relaxed" formal look....

I have a dear friend who took her mother and 2 sisters on a cruise a number of years back.  They all drove from their home in Northern Virginia down to Port Canaveral.  I imagine that 4 ladies on a cruise produce a LOT of luggage so there was probably a huge cluster when they unpacked the car at the port to deliver the luggage to the porters.

I never really understood how this could have happened, but Martha, SOMEhow, never unloaded any of her own luggage from the car.  The ship had left port before she realized that she had no luggage.  Nothing.  Nada.  I guess being on a cruise with your mother and 2 sisters provided enough basics for her to get by.  This is a REAL nightmare scenario for me.  I DO have nightmares about forgetting my luggage.  PROBABLY because of this story from Martha !

14 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Pajamas...true story lol.

My wife did the same on our cruise this month. She walked to a Ross store as it was the only thing nearby and said it was walking into a different world. She’s tan and has black hair so everyone assumes she speaks Spanish. While she was in line a lady needed an item translated so the cashier asked her to do it and when she said she didn’t speak Spanish the cashier gave her an angry disbelieving look. 

Guest toodle68

I have an excel spreadsheet. My first tab has the basics and then I create a new tab for each vacation. I change it over the months leading up to a cruise and then on packing day I print it off and cross off each item as I pack.

The only item we have ever forgotten was sunscreen on a Caribbean cruise. We looked in a shop on shore and they wanted $36 (US) for a can lol.. never forgotten it since.

My biggest fear (equal to passports) is forgetting my son's EpiPens. He needs both doses (two EpiPens) if/when he get's stung by honey bees. Makes me nervous as hell. We've not air traveled since finding all this out, so has anyone had any issues traveling with EpiPens in your carry on? (Sorry, kinda hijacking my own thread).

I forgot a toothbrush once and had to go buy one from the convenience store aboard.  I don't remember exactly what it cost me, but it was the most basic toothbrush imaginable and cost something absurd like $10

Also, baby wipes are a good idea even if you do not have a baby.  To put it delicately, the ships don't have the greatest toilet paper, since the primary goal is to avoid clogging the pipes.  Just remember that wipes go in the trash and must NEVER be flushed, even the ones that claim to be flushable.

On 5/30/2019 at 6:39 PM, Baked Alaska said:

Just a fun, but necessary question to get all of us thinking about packing for our next cruise(s): what was THAT thing that you forgot to pack? 

For me, it was my slippers. Can't stand going barefoot in the cabin or balcony. Had to dedicate a pair of socks to slipper duty. Needless to say, they were very very dirty on the bottom.

Oh man... I am the same way...i have a pair of "travel" slippers that I would NEVER wear at home!  Only on vacation.  And i wash them.  I've even been known to throw them away after a trip and just start over! LOL

56 minutes ago, RickinSTL said:

Beef Jerky for the flight.. Its one of my superstitions ive had since flying in Military aircraft .  I had to get some at the STL airport.. that cost me like $12.00 

Not really a jerky fan myself, but my BIL loves it--makes his own. I keep a lookout for him and found this place  They have flavors I'd have never thought of--crawfish jerky??? I don't think he ever ordered from them, but thought you might get a kick out of their website.

I’ve actually had nightmares about not being packed and I keep trying to pack and I can’t for some reason!  Obviously my brain was worried about something.  It’s funny...I make a new list every time I travel.  I could make a master but it’s fun to come up with the new one...it’s like packing early lol.  Jane

On 5/31/2019 at 11:05 AM, Baked Alaska said:

My biggest fear (equal to passports) is forgetting my son's EpiPens. He needs both doses (two EpiPens) if/when he get's stung by honey bees. Makes me nervous as hell. We've not air traveled since finding all this out, so has anyone had any issues traveling with EpiPens in your carry on? (Sorry, kinda hijacking my own thread).

EpiPens

Carry On Bags: 
Yes
Checked Bags: 
Yes

TSA allows larger amounts of medically necessary liquids, gels, and aerosols in reasonable quantities for your trip, but you must declare them to TSA officers at the checkpoint for inspection.

Ref: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/epipens

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I knew that was coming soon! ?

I hope they win too even though I know nothing about that team.  I just can't stand Boston.

Married to a Blackhawks game who hates the blues lol...I'm equal opportunity and don't care who wins lol...go Red Wings!  Jane

One trip with took with our kids, I had grabbed what I thought was my stack of passports and birth certificates. This was when you just needed a BC to sail, started handing the paperwork to the clerk checking us in and what I thought was my daughters birth certificate was a copy of mine!!! We had nothing for her to board the ship. Thankfully she had given her boyfriend her apartment key and he was able to get into her place and find her passport and have it faxed to the port office and we got on. I now check and triple check everything!!

Once forgot our son Kevin while leaving on a family vacation.  Was quite easy since it was a large group and we were running late for our flight because the power went out during the night...international flights don't wait around so we had to run through the terminal. 

I've been looking at lists and tweaking them for things that will fit me and my trip.  Thanks to this blog the odds of me forgetting something important have decreased.  But when I do inevitably forget something...I'll be here in September to share my experience. ?