Post cruise things to do in Miami/Fort Lauderdale

I have a cruise in Dec out of Miami and my flight is at 3 from Fort Lauderdale.  What are some things I could do until I go to the airport?  What could I do with my luggage?  The shore excursions in the cruise planer with airport drop off are for flights after 4, so those won't work.  What time do I need to be off the ship?  Should I go straight to the airport and hang out because I would probably want to be there around 1?

38 minutes ago, griswold81 said:

I have a cruise in Dec out of Miami and my flight is at 3 from Fort Lauderdale.  What are some things I could do until I go to the airport?  What could I do with my luggage?  The shore excursions in the cruise planer with airport drop off are for flights after 4, so those won't work.  What time do I need to be off the ship?  Should I go straight to the airport and hang out because I would probably want to be there around 1?

Hang out on the ship as long as possible then head to FLL. You might be a couple hours early but a 3pm departure doesn’t afford you much leisure time.

28 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

if your flight is at 3..boarding at 2:30....clear security by 2...check in at 1:30.......45 min drive from port to airport.....so that make it about 12:45ish.....if you leave the ship at 9:30sih.....you have about 3 hrs max......

FLL does have a luggage storage facility......

Yes, my point exactly. No time to get hung up on an activity. Might as well stay on the ship until last moment then head to airport. If you had a couple more hours and we’re familiar with the area, that would open up more possibilities. 

FLL is a pretty terrible airport to be hanging out in, there’s no airline lounges, and the food is terrible. I haven’t been but others on here swear by La Bamba which is near the airport. Im sure they’ll have a place where you can leave your luggage and catch a leisurely lunch before heading over to the airport. 

Also, if you are near an airport that offers Clear Service, they usually run 90 day free trials. Sign up before your cruise and it’ll cover you both ways. It’ll mean even with long lines you’ll be through security in five minutes or less. 

10 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

FLL is a pretty terrible airport to be hanging out in, there’s no airline lounges, and the food is terrible. I haven’t been but others on here swear by La Bamba which is near the airport. Im sure they’ll have a place where you can leave your luggage and catch a leisurely lunch before heading over to the airport. 

Also, if you are near an airport that offers Clear Service, they usually run 90 day free trials. Sign up before your cruise and it’ll cover you both ways. It’ll mean even with long lines you’ll be through security in five minutes or less. 

Agree about FLL.  Some airlines have baggage rules and accept checked luggage only within so many hours of your flight.  FLL offers a bus service between the land side different terminals but's it's slow and infrequent (walking between terminals is sometimes faster).

Not all terminals in FLL offer Clear so validate which airline you are using and if Clear has a presence in the terminal used for your airline.   At the moment there is no shuttle between terminals after security so once you go through security you are limited to what that terminal offers.

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

Agree about FLL.  Some airlines have baggage rules and accept checked luggage only within so many hours of your flight.  FLL offers a bus service between the land side different terminals but's it's slow and infrequent (walking between terminals is sometimes faster).

Not all terminals in FLL offer Clear so validate which airline you are using and if Clear has a presence in the terminal used for your airline.   At the moment there is no shuttle between terminals after security so once you go through security you are limited to what that terminal offers.

Yes, right now it’s just terminal 1 and 2. Which covers

Alaska, Allegiant, Southwest, United, Westjet, Delta, among other smaller airlines.

Having done that trek so many times for meetings and cruises, when someone say they’re going out of PortMiami but flying out of FLL I always assume they’re on Southwest ?

We cruised in April on Explorer and had a lte flight in MIA. We went on the Big Red Bus tour around Miami. We saw the latest Bad Boy movie filming and South Beach. They stored luggage and transported to both airports when we wanted. Check it out. Not too expensive.