Questions about Voom, texting

I would really appreciate any knowledge you all can share.  For our upcoming cruise (first Royal cruise and only our second cruise ever),  my youngest daughter is staying in a Jr. Suite with her grandmother.  My husband and I are staying in a central park balcony...on Symphony.  Our oldest daughter will not be going.  If we purchase VOOM, can we text our oldest daughter back home in Kentucky?  Will there be charges from our cell service, or does the voom internet take care of that? 

Also, how many devices do you usually buy voom for? There will be the three of us, but with my 14 year old in another room, I wasn't sure how that works, and what we should actually buy...one device, two, or all three?  My daughter will want to stay up to date on social media and texting friends.  All I want is to text my oldest daughter at home and be able to send her pictures.

Thanks for any advice!

We buy Voom for everyone with a cell phone so for us that means a 4 device plan.  There are too many instances where we separate for a bit only to text "where r u?"  You can price out the difference between a 2 and 3 device plan but a 3 device plan is usually only a few dollars more a day over 2 devices.  

Buy the Voom multi device plan for as many devices as you will want to be connected at the same time, it doesn't matter what cabin your daughter stays in. 

You'll want to activate airplane mode then connect to the ship wifi.  If you have never used wifi calling on your cell phone at home make sure to set it up and test it at home before sailing.

Most US post-paid cell plans include wifi calling, not all pre-paid services do.  It depends on your cell phone company.  If in doubt talk to your cell company now, well before sailing. 

You can test wifi calling and wifi texting at home before sailing assuming you have wifi at home.  Turn on airplane mode, connect to your home wifi.  Try making a call.  Try sending a text to your daughter.  That is pretty much how a paid Voom plan will work once on the ship.  If it doesn't work at home, it won't work on the ship with Voom.  By testing it now you have time to troubleshoot any issues you have.

23 hours ago, twangster said:

Buy the Voom multi device plan for as many devices as you will want to be connected at the same time, it doesn't matter what cabin your daughter stays in. 

You'll want to activate airplane mode then connect to the ship wifi.  If you have never used wifi calling on your cell phone at home make sure to set it up and test it at home before sailing.

Most US post-paid cell plans include wifi calling, not all pre-paid services do.  It depends on your cell phone company.  If in doubt talk to your cell company now, well before sailing. 

You can test wifi calling and wifi texting at home before sailing assuming you have wifi at home.  Turn on airplane mode, connect to your home wifi.  Try making a call.  Try sending a text to your daughter.  That is pretty much how a paid Voom plan will work once on the ship.  If it doesn't work at home, it won't work on the ship with Voom.  By testing it now you have time to troubleshoot any issues you have.

Thank you!... so I buy VOOM, turn on airplane mode, and I should be able to text my daughter at home with no penalties. Correct? 

(And I did try texting connected only to internet and it worked.)

16 hours ago, teacherdl said:

Thank you!... so I buy VOOM, turn on airplane mode, and I should be able to text my daughter at home with no penalties. Correct? 

(And I did try texting connected only to internet and it worked.)

After turning on airplane mode you will need to enable wifi.  This will allow you to access voom (wifi) without allowing your phone to use any of the other mobile services that you would get charged for by your carrier (ex. AT&T, Verizon, etc.).