Refreshment Package & Alcohol

Hi Fellow Cruise Lovers!

I have my first two cruises booked with RCL and will be cruising solo with my 11 year old son. Since it's just the 2 of us I know I won't drink enough to make the Deluxe Beverage package worth it. However we both love smoothies, mocktails and soda so I am planning on buying the Refreshment package. Here is my question......With the Refreshment Package let's say I do want to have a Pina Colada or two will I be charged the full price for the drink or just the upcharge for the alchohol? Am I better off ordering a mocktail and then paying for a shot on the side?

Welcome to the boards!

As your son is not 21 or older, you have the option to purchase the Deluxe Beverage Package for yourself (assuming you will drink enough to make it worthwhile) and the Refreshment Package for him. The "everybody has to get the DBP if anybody gets it" only applies to those 21 and older.

To directly answer your question - yes you would be charged full price for the drink. The cost difference between the full drink and the shot with a separate mocktail is probably not worth the hassle and the incomplete mixing of the shot into the drink.

3 hours ago, Worktovacay1002 said:

With the Refreshment Package let's say I do want to have a Pina Colada or two will I be charged the full price for the drink or just the upcharge for the alcohol? Am I better off ordering a mocktail and then paying for a shot on the side?

On our Symphony cruise last week, I did just that.

Mango lava flow (free with refreshment package) with shot of Kraken ($8.99+18% gratuity=$10.61). I don't know for sure, but guessing that the full drink would be about $13 plus the 18% =$15.34.

image.png.48e8276fb879c6f99612217ee3f7b0d5.png

3 hours ago, Worktovacay1002 said:

Hi Fellow Cruise Lovers!

I have my first two cruises booked with RCL and will be cruising solo with my 11 year old son. Since it's just the 2 of us I know I won't drink enough to make the Deluxe Beverage package worth it. However we both love smoothies, mocktails and soda so I am planning on buying the Refreshment package. Here is my question......With the Refreshment Package let's say I do want to have a Pina Colada or two will I be charged the full price for the drink or just the upcharge for the alchohol? Am I better off ordering a mocktail and then paying for a shot on the side?

You would only save money on this if it's a cocktail that only involves a shot of one type of liquor. Something like a margarita with the tequila and the orange liqueur would end up being cheaper to just order and pay for the actual drink as opposed to the shots. 

3 hours ago, spiralqueen said:

You would only save money on this if it's a cocktail that only involves a shot of one type of liquor. Something like a margarita with the tequila and the orange liqueur would end up being cheaper to just order and pay for the actual drink as opposed to the shots. 

^^^This is the key right here.  

As @Skid already posted, you could get the non-alcoholic version covered with your package and just pay for the shot.  Anything more than a shot and you will lose out.

7 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

To directly answer your question - yes you would be charged full price for the drink. The cost difference between the full drink and the shot with a separate mocktail is probably not worth the hassle and the incomplete mixing of the shot into the drink.

Annoyingly this is how the bartenders were making Pina Colada's and Strawberry Daiquiri's on the pool deck of Anthem in April -- they blended virgin drinks, put in cups, and then poured a shot of rum on top.  I guess they were too lazy to wash the blenders.  You couldn't even mix it youself, because the paper straws that start to disintegrate immediately.  My wife and I were quite disappointed.   We gave up on frozen drinks by the pool after that fiasco.  

21 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

Annoyingly this is how the bartenders were making Pina Colada's and Strawberry Daiquiri's on the pool deck of Anthem in April -- they blended virgin drinks, put in cups, and then poured a shot of rum on top.  I guess they were too lazy to wash the blenders.  You couldn't even mix it youself, because the paper straws that start to disintegrate immediately.  My wife and I were quite disappointed.   We gave up on frozen drinks by the pool after that fiasco.  

Wow. I expected that because of how I ordered, but if you got it that way after paying full price or having the DX package,  I truly understand your frustration. What salvaged it for us was that we had brought along our own silicone straws.

28 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

They were doing this on Harmony in March too. I was also annoyed. And you are so right about the straw!

5 hours ago, Skid said:

On our Symphony cruise last week, I did just that.

Mango lava flow (free with refreshment package) with shot of Kraken ($8.99+18% gratuity=$10.61). I don't know for sure, but guessing that the full drink would be about $13 plus the 18% =$15.34.

image.png.48e8276fb879c6f99612217ee3f7b0d5.png

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear! Thank you. From other people’s responses it seems like mixed cocktails I’m better off just buying but a pina colada I could save a little with my package. That works for me! I won’t be indulging too hard since I’ll be alone with him this time. 

43 minutes ago, Skid said:

Wow. I expected that because of how I ordered, but if you got it that way after paying full price or having the DX package,  I truly understand your frustration. What salvaged it for us was that we had brought along our own silicone straws.

Yeah, I think I need to look into buying some straws.  Perhaps I should go with Titanium https://countycomm.com/products/ti-straw-ultra-lightweight-titanium ?

2 hours ago, karl_nj said:

Yeah, I think I need to look into buying some straws.  Perhaps I should go with Titanium https://countycomm.com/products/ti-straw-ultra-lightweight-titanium ?

I got this collapsible straw by someone’s recommendation on here and I’m obsessed. It is really well constructed and addresses my 2 concerns about bringing my own straw. 1. “Ewww I don’t want a straw just floating loose in my bag” This one collapses and goes in its own keychain case to keep it clean 2. “Uhhh how am I going to clean it? I’m not bringing a little scrubber on the ship” Built into the base of the case is a little squeegee on a string to let you clean it on the go. It’s way easier than it sounds 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KRRGPV4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qnj8CbK8NP6B2 

1EFAB9AB-58AA-4AE8-BA91-1D44828CC5CE.thumb.jpeg.509c653d48a87aa17a63d350bc801809.jpeg

44 minutes ago, ThyriC said:

I got those little straws too!! (maybe it was my recommendation?  is your straw silicone?)  They're AWESOME!  

Note to self... now I need a mango lava flow in my life, along with the regular lava flow with kraken in @Matt's honor  

The mango Miami vices are pretty good...and since @Matt has converted me to kraken I was drinking the lava flows with kraken rum and Diet Coke chasers!   Ahhh...16 days lol.  Jane

1 hour ago, spiralqueen said:

I got this collapsible straw by someone’s recommendation on here and I’m obsessed. It is really well constructed and addresses my 2 concerns about bringing my own straw. 1. “Ewww I don’t want a straw just floating loose in my bag” This one collapses and goes in its own keychain case to keep it clean 2. “Uhhh how am I going to clean it? I’m not bringing a little scrubber on the ship” Built into the base of the case is a little squeegee on a string to let you clean it on the go. It’s way easier than it sounds 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KRRGPV4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qnj8CbK8NP6B2 

1EFAB9AB-58AA-4AE8-BA91-1D44828CC5CE.thumb.jpeg.509c653d48a87aa17a63d350bc801809.jpeg

This looks awesome but I just can’t do metal straws....can’t drink out of metal lid travel mugs either...ewww lol.  I took my plastic Disney straws but rarely used them. I was surprised that the paper straws held up better than I predicted (or I just drink really fast lol)!!!  Jane

They have silicone straws that do the same thing, collapse into a little container.  I love my silicone straws.  I can stick the little straw container in a purse, on a lanyard, whatever, and then if I'm confronted with a paper straw or no straw, I can just break out my silicone straw.  If you wash it thoroughly beforehand, any silicone smell or taste is gone.  2-3 trips through the dishwasher or soaking in super hot water and a little soap for about 10-15 minutes is fine.  

@spiralqueen, thanks for the link to that collapsible straw! I've added it to my Cruise Prep list on Amazon, will be buying 4 over the next few months as credit card bills clear and upcoming cruise gets paid off. Will be perfect to bring on our Iceland & Greenland trip as well as to Bermuda!

I just wish they had more color options instead of the current two. Guess I'll have to do it where wife and I each have one color, and each of the kids has one color.

36 minutes ago, twangster said:

As a data point, a shot of liquor added to a complimentary hot chocolate on a recent Alaska cruise was $10.61 all in (including gratuity).  

I don't suppose that shot was Rumple Minze peppermint schnapps to make the hot chocolate into a "peppermint patty"? ?

One of my favorite winter time beverages back in the (college) day.

3 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I don't suppose that shot was Rumple Minze peppermint schnapps to make the hot chocolate into a "peppermint patty"? ?

One of my favorite winter time beverages back in the (college) day.

Do you think that Royal Caribbean would have Rumple Minze peppermint schnapps ?

On 5/30/2019 at 7:28 PM, Skid said:

@Skid what silicone straws do you have?  I purchased some and they are kinda flimsy...I might just bring our reusable plastic (starbucks) straws and my straw cleaner brush.

3 hours ago, JennyB said:

@Skid what silicone straws do you have?  I purchased some and they are kinda flimsy...I might just bring our reusable plastic (starbucks) straws and my straw cleaner brush.

This sounds funny even to me as I type it. I bought a pack of 3 silicone straws in Walmart. It came with a cleaning brush and IIRC it was only $2.99. At the same time, I picked up two little "cases" of toothpicks. We squished up the straws and put them in those cases. The straws are somewhat flimsy but they worked out ok.

13 hours ago, Skid said:

The straws are somewhat flimsy but they worked out ok.

Do they "stir" your frozen drinks?  like, when I'm sitting by the pool enjoying my special drink and I wanna stir it, do the silicone straws stand up to that?  LOL

27 minutes ago, Skid said:

Stirring of the frozen drinks was not the best for sure. I sort of bounced the straw up and down. But it was certainly better than using the paper ones. @spiralqueen's appears to be the best I've seen, but I was too cheap to part with $30 for it.?

I might just bring what i have...i don't like the metal ones.  lol Thanks for all the replies. 

• 3 years later...