On Board Spending Suggestions?

My travel agency (CruisesOnly.com) has informed me that I will get $50 back after the cruise IF I spend that amount on board the Brilliance. That's for Hubby and me combined. So it will behoove me to spend that much, although we hadn't planned on spending.

So . . . .  what would you recommend for $50 or slightly more? A meal for two at Giovanni's Table? A pair of drinks and a souvenir from the gift shop? What can $50 buy on the ship for an elderly couple who don't drink or party much, nor eat much, but definitely appreciate quality? We don't eat meat but we do love pasta and eggplant and Asian food.

Giovanni’s is a wonderful restaurant!   Enjoy your special windfall and go there!  Otherwise if there is an excursion that looks interesting you can also do that!  Just book when you get on.  One other thing is some sort of souvenir or get a photo done of the two of you!!  I’ve been enjoying your planning and hope you have a wonderful trip!! Jane

8 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

Giovanni’s is a wonderful restaurant!   Enjoy your special windfall and go there!  Otherwise if there is an excursion that looks interesting you can also do that!  Just book when you get on.  One other thing is some sort of souvenir or get a photo done of the two of you!!  I’ve been enjoying your planning and hope you have a wonderful trip!! Jane

I'm enjoying my planning, too! ? Since we love GOOD Italian food, I think we'll head to Giovanni's as soon as we board. As for the shore excursion, since we've never been to Cozumel I'm thinking we'll just meander around the village, shop, maybe have lunch or watch some chocolate being processed, and when it gets hot head back to the ship. We can venture farther afield on the next cruise/visit!

5 minutes ago, tiny blonde said:

I'm enjoying my planning, too! ? Since we love GOOD Italian food, I think we'll head to Giovanni's as soon as we board. As for the shore excursion, since we've never been to Cozumel I'm thinking we'll just meander around the village, shop, maybe have lunch or watch some chocolate being processed, and when it gets hot head back to the ship. We can venture farther afield on the next cruise/visit!

What are your other ports? I can’t remember.  Cozumel  has tons to do!  Jane

Just now, Baked Alaska said:

The most romantic use of the $50: LAUNDRY! ?

This cracked me up!  I have never done laundry on the ship and am thinking for our 12 day Europe cruise this summer in the heat we will have to?  Have you done it before?  Do they seriously fry/shrink clothing.  Trying to figure if I try for any dresses or swimsuits, or if I should just wash undies and socks! Jane

18 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

This cracked me up!  I have never done laundry on the ship and am thinking for our 12 day Europe cruise this summer in the heat we will have to?  Have you done it before?  Do they seriously fry/shrink clothing.  Trying to figure if I try for any dresses or swimsuits, or if I should just wash undies and socks! Jane

Well, yes (I HAVE done my laundry on DCL). I, too, am a tad bit worried about giving my skivvies etc to a mere stranger and hoping I get MY skivvies etc back and in good shape. On DCL, we could do our own laundry at $2.50/load to wash, same to dry I think (versus $34? on RCCL for a small hotel room size bag - Ugh). When we were DCL cruisers, we would take 7 day cruises and could pack three days of clothes to mix, match, wash, rinse, and repeat all in carry on luggage. Not so with RCCL. Our upcoming Alaska southbound will test my limits of laundry as we are staying in Anchorage for 4 days prior to embarkation in Seward. Not to mention that it's just a lot more clothes to pack (layers). But! If our clothes aren't lost or damaged, I will be a happy gal. Who knew the laundry would be part of the adventure (an excursion perhaps)? :4_joy: 

Edited by Baked Alaska
clarification and grammar police

1 hour ago, JennyB said:

as soon as you board head to the restaurant you want.

2 hours ago, tiny blonde said:

Gratuities are paid up in advance. Besides, that's no fun for us! I'm looking for $50 worth of fun. What will give us bang for the buck? ?

You should book it now on cruise planner also not sure about 50$ back at end of cruise it’s usually an on board credit to you’d on ship. Any way  govnies is very dood was 

16 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

Well, yes (I HAVE done my laundry on DCL). I, too, am a tad bit worried about giving my skivvies etc to a mere stranger and hoping I get MY skivvies etc back and in good shape. On DCL, we could do our own laundry at $2.50/load to wash, same to dry I think (versus $34? on RCCL for a small hotel room size bag - Ugh). When we were DCL cruisers, we would take 7 day cruises and could pack three days of clothes to mix, match, wash, rinse, and repeat all in carry on luggage. Not so with RCCL. Our upcoming Alaska southbound will test my limits of laundry as we are staying in Anchorage for 4 days prior to embarkation in Seward. Not to mention that it's just a lot more clothes to pack (layers). But! If our clothes aren't lost or damaged, I will be a happy gal. Who knew the laundry would be part of the adventure (an excursion perhaps)? :4_joy: 

Yeah...we have 4 days in Barcelona before the 12 days.  I’m trying to get everything into one suitcase to check so I can use my carryon for all the amazing souvenirs I will buy lol!  I wear almost all sundresses (lands end, target) that are perfectly good to wash but I fear industrial dryers!!   Ahhh FWP for sure lol!!  So sorry @Tinyblonde I have hijacked your thread!!!!  Jane

14 minutes ago, Bigken said:

You should book it now on cruise planner also not sure about 50$ back at end of cruise it’s usually an on board credit to you’d on ship. Any way  govnies is very dood was 

I think tiny said she has to purchase on board....   otherwise definitely best to pre-book.  Jane

First, apologies to @tiny blonde for another post about laundry.  Now @mom2mybugs and @Baked Alaska, in March, my husband and I flew from Orlando to Sydney, Australia for 4 days, then cruised on Ovation for 9 days.  I specifically booked a pre-cruise hotel that had guest laundry facilities.  We washed all our clothes before boarding the ship.  We are D+, so we also each got a free bag of laundry while onboard, which we used.  We had to stay an extra day due to flight availability, and I had planned to do laundry again at the hotel post cruise, but that didn't happen.  ?

P.S.  I also vote for using the OBC in a restaurant! 

Just now, Dawn T. said:

First, apologies to @tiny blonde for another post about laundry.  Now @mom2mybugs and @Baked Alaska, in March, my husband and I flew from Orlando to Sydney, Australia for 4 days, then cruised on Ovation for 9 days.  I specifically booked a pre-cruise hotel that had guest laundry facilities.  We washed all our clothes before boarding the ship.  We are D+, so we also each got a free bag of laundry while onboard, which we used.  We had to stay an extra day due to flight availability, and I had planned to do laundry again at the hotel post cruise, but that didn't happen.  ?

P.S.  I also vote for using the OBC in a restaurant! 

How did you find stuff coming back? Any shrinkage?  We are in an Airbnb precruise...typical europe washer no dryer though so I won’t wash....   jane

Just now, mom2mybugs said:

How did you find stuff coming back? Any shrinkage?  We are in an Airbnb precruise...typical europe washer no dryer though so I won’t wash....   jane

So sorry.  I meant to address that in my post.  We have never had a problem with the items coming back from the ship laundry.  I only have to "refold" everything.  ?

Just now, Dawn T. said:

So sorry.  I meant to address that in my post.  We have never had a problem with the items coming back from the ship laundry.  I only have to "refold" everything.  ?

Ohhh. Sooooo good to know!  Thank you!  I can survive 7 day Carib cruises without laundry but might be tricky for 16 days...trying so hard not to overpack for once lol.  Jane

See for me, I'd put the $50 towards a shore excursion that you hadnt budgeted for before.  So maybe you budgeted to walk around the port (free), why not use the $50 towards a tour?   You might not get much for 50 but you can think of it as one heck of a discount.  

Might also use the 50 to get a manicure or pedicure onboard.  

Maybe combo it up with several experiences?  Like splurging on room service one night.  Maybe a souvenir glass beverage another night.  How about a keepsake photo of you and the captain or on formal night?  

15 minutes ago, Dawn T. said:

Nothing to add.... just wanted to say hello to a "neighbor" ? I see you're from Oviedo... I'm from Chuluota 

1 hour ago, Bigken said:

47 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

I think tiny said she has to purchase on board....   otherwise definitely best to pre-book.  Jane

Actually, those are important points. I'll call the agency and ask them whether I need to PURCHASE it onboard, or USE it onboard. Thanks for pointing that out.

1 hour ago, Bigken said:

48 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

Actually, those are important points. I'll call the agency and ask them whether I need to PURCHASE it onboard, or USE it onboard. Thanks for pointing that out.

1 hour ago, mom2mybugs said:

12 minutes ago, ThyriC said:

See for me, I'd put the $50 towards a shore excursion that you hadnt budgeted for before.  So maybe you budgeted to walk around the port (free), why not use the $50 towards a tour?   You might not get much for 50 but you can think of it as one heck of a discount.  

Might also use the 50 to get a manicure or pedicure onboard.  

Maybe combo it up with several experiences?  Like splurging on room service one night.  Maybe a souvenir glass beverage another night.  How about a keepsake photo of you and the captain or on formal night?  

Now we're cooking! These are all great ideas. I'll enjoy contemplating them all. Funny thing about photos, I hate the way I look in them, but years later when I see the photo I think, "Why was I dissatisfied? I wish I looked that good now!"

2 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

What are your other ports? I can’t remember.  Cozumel  has tons to do!  Jane

Cozumel is our only port, it's a 4 night cruise . . . . departs Tampa before sunset on Thursday, Friday is a sea day, Saturday in Cozumel, and then another sea day back to Tampa by Monday morning. I am just going to chill on the balcony and watch the sun and the moon and the stars and the sea. ? 

1 hour ago, CruisinTexan said:

Would classes qualify? We are doing a guacamole class on our coming cruise. Also doing a special tour/brunch. 

I've tried pulling up Onboard Activities on the Cruise Planner, but the message says they cannot bring up my info and I should try again later. Does that become available close to cruise time?

Sign out and try signing back in. Sometimes the system doesn’t know you or something. If it keeps up, wait an hour and try again. You should be able to sign up for stuff up to about a week before, maybe closer.We signed up for several classes and activities weeks before. If you cannot get in before, try as soon as you get on board!!

25 minutes ago, CruisinTexan said:

Sign out and try signing back in. Sometimes the system doesn’t know you or something. If it keeps up, wait an hour and try again. You should be able to sign up for stuff up to about a week before, maybe closer.We signed up for several classes and activities weeks before. If you cannot get in before, try as soon as you get on board!!

Thanks, Cruisin Texan!

5 hours ago, tiny blonde said:

I've tried pulling up Onboard Activities on the Cruise Planner, but the message says they cannot bring up my info and I should try again later. Does that become available close to cruise time?

Yes...just keep checking from time to time

On 5/30/2019 at 9:08 AM, tiny blonde said:

My travel agency (CruisesOnly.com) has informed me that I will get $50 back after the cruise IF I spend that amount on board the Brilliance. That's for Hubby and me combined. So it will behoove me to spend that much, although we hadn't planned on spending.

So . . . .  what would you recommend for $50 or slightly more? A meal for two at Giovanni's Table? A pair of drinks and a souvenir from the gift shop? What can $50 buy on the ship for an elderly couple who don't drink or party much, nor eat much, but definitely appreciate quality? We don't eat meat but we do love pasta and eggplant and Asian food.

Roulette table.. bet on black! 

I get a kick out of the ship sales, like the $10 sales.  I know we are talking cheap imports, but I swear by the $10 sports watches, which I buy almost every cruise.  They die in a year or two, which is about the price of a battery in my nicer watches.  There are also cheap hats for the pool or beach as well as practical items like sunglasses hand bags, scarves, men's ties. I can't tell you how many times I've needed a tie or sunglasses.  Some ships even have special gift sets (leather wallet sets), so I sometimes find stocking stuffers. These sales are especially helpful when the airline loses your luggage (Been there, done that).  As for the specialty dinners, our reaction is mixed.   The food really isn't any better than the main dining room unless there is a particular item you want (e.g., filet mignon).  However, you can order that in the main dining room for a slight surcharge ($17 on my last cruise).  The ambience in the specialty restaurants isn't that much nicer, and the service is sometimes slow.  If you like sushi or hibachi-style food, Izumi's would be another dining option.  My guess is that you will find something to spend the $$ on, even if it is just room service ($7.95+) for a quiet meal in your stateroom.