Ice cubes in Mexico

Last year, on our DCL cruise (worry no more, no mouse in the house, now), we took the Fury Catamaran snorkel and beach break excursion while in Cozumel. While on the beach excursion, I was sipping my margarita noticing how watered down it tasted, and how the ice cubes were melting at a pretty good rate. THEN. IT. HIT. ME! I was drinking the water! Yikes! Beer only from now on! Anyone else make this mistake?

Every time I have been in Mexico via land trips or cruises, the ice used during excursions was made with bottled/filtered water.  Just like private tour providers don't want to risk getting people back to the ship late, neither do they (or restaurants favored by tourists) want to have a reputation of giving anyone Montezuma's revenge.

When in doubt, ask if the ice cubes were made with bottled/filtered water.  I have never had any restaurant balk at answering the question quickly and emphatically that all ice was made safely for tourists.

Safe travels!

Always heard a tid bit from working in bars, took it as gospel at the time so not sure if its actually true but apparently if the ice cube has a divot or indent in it it indicates that its been made though a filtered process. If its flat on all sides then its tap water.

Anyone else hear something like this or have I been carrying this useless/untrue information around with me all these years?

1 hour ago, cmdrfrag said:

Always heard a tid bit from working in bars, took it as gospel at the time so not sure if its actually true but apparently if the ice cube has a divot or indent in it it indicates that its been made though a filtered process. If its flat on all sides then its tap water.

Anyone else hear something like this or have I been carrying this useless/untrue information around with me all these years?

I have made ice with filtered water & tap water before using the ice cube trays and I have never seen a divot or indent in the ice.

I have a refrigerator with a built in ice maker that uses filtered water to make the ice, which is straight on the top & sides & is rounded like a semicircle on the bottom. 

Don't drink anything with ice unless the restaurant says the water is filtered. Unfortunately some of the little roadside cute cafes do not use filtered water or ice. I have been on the Fury Catamaran twice and felt comfortable drinking whatever was offered. However, you can't always avoid the Montezuma's Revenge. Once I ate exclusively at the Acapulco Princess Hotel (very upscale at the time) and got sick as a dog after eating tacos. I guess the lettuce was not washed properly or in regular water. It happens! Take probiotics before and during your trip to avoid stomach issues.