Deluxe drink package

Marlena

I'm interested at what people spent on their deluxe drink package. Cruise planner says 49pp per day but with a note saying its 50 % off the second person.

I feel like it was the same without the " deal" so I'm interested what others paid.

Note. I'm on the symphony of the seas 7 day eastern carribean

Keep in mind any marked sale pricing is based off the onboard rate.
On the Symphony sailing week of May 18th the onboard rate was $66 pppd. Also on the first day they were offering the BOGO50 promotion for the second package. So the price for two would have been $99 per day. A few bars also had signs listing the price at $70, so this sailing might have had a discounted rate. Keep in mind the 18% gratuity still needs to be added to these figures.

If you expect to have a total of 3 glasses of wine or cocktails per day, plus a couple specialty coffees during the day and / or fresh squeezed OJ each morning, you can just manage to “break even” on the deluxe pkg when it’s at $49 pp/pn. Lower would be better, but that seems to be the lowest Royal is going these days.

I paid $42/night for both of my cruises last year, but haven’t seen anything that low since. 

3 minutes ago, Marlena said:

and just wondering....if we both have deluxe drink package cant I technically use it at the same time for my daughter. Order her any juice or virgin drinks she want? 

By policy of the drink package, only the holder of the drink package may consume drink obtained using the package. So if your daughter has a package that would cover juice or virgin drinks, sure. Otherwise it it will have to be purchased, per policy.

5 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

By policy of the drink package, only the holder of the drink package may consume drink obtained using the package. So if your daughter has a package that would cover juice or virgin drinks, sure. Otherwise it it will have to be purchased, per policy.

But if I got a drink then went to get another 10 min later for her ( virgin) that would work no?

Just now, Marlena said:

But if I got a drink then went to get another 10 min later for her ( virgin) that would work no?

This is getting into a bit of a gray area. If you think your daughter would only have one drink like that during the entire trip, then it might be OK. But if you think she’s going to be drinking mocktails or other kinds of nonalcoholic beverages regularly, you must buy her her own separate refreshment package. It’s because of sharing like this that royal instituted the policy that all passengers in the cabin over 21 must buy the alcoholic package if just one does.  There were too many people sharing the package with other guests, and royal was losing money as a result. 

Just now, JLMoran said:

This is getting into a bit of a gray area. If you think your daughter would only have one drink like that during the entire trip, then it might be OK. But if you think she’s going to be drinking mocktails or other kinds of nonalcoholic beverages regularly, you must buy her her own separate refreshment package. It’s because of sharing like this that royal instituted the policy that all passengers in the cabin over 21 must buy the alcoholic package if just one does.  There were too many people sharing the package with other guests, and royal was losing money as a result. 

Thanks for the insight.

She is 4 so was planning on giving her a few mocktails and maybe my fresh squeezed juice option.

7 hours ago, Marlena said:

and just wondering....if we both have deluxe drink package cant I technically use it at the same time for my daughter. Order her any juice or virgin drinks she want? 

I don't think anyone will complain about you occasionally giving your 4 year old a drink.  Well some people might complain but I wouldn't expect you to spend $140+ for your 4 year to have an occasional virgin drink.

Pinging @Matt. I seem to recall that he gets one of his kids an occasional Shirley Temple, but I don't recall if he gets either of them their own Refreshment Package, he gets those mocktails and any sodas or other drinks for them a la carte / pays for them on his SeaPass, or if he gets them with his package. About 98% sure it's the middle one, but don't want to speak entirely for him.

Pretty sure he buys them a la carte. 

But you aren't supposed to share the package with your kid, even if it's only a few drinks here and there.  You can buy the drinks as needed and it will be far less than the $140+ for a refreshment package.  Sometimes they won't charge if you order the drinks together, but that isn't a guarantee.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that "stealing is stealing" and most people would say that giving your kid an occasional soda from your pkg counts as that, but I don't think RCCL changed the drink policy because a guest was giving their kids an occasional soda. They changed it because they firstly, saw a way to increase revenue and then a far second, would be guest sharing alcoholic drinks. That's where the money is. Soda, especially fountain soda cost close to nothing.  

1 minute ago, FManke said:

I know that "stealing is stealing" and most people would say that giving your kid an occasional soda from your pkg counts as that, but I don't think RCCL changed the drink policy because a guest was giving their kids an occasional soda. They changed it because they firstly, saw a way to increase revenue and then a far second, would be guest sharing alcoholic drinks. That's where the money is. Soda, especially fountain soda cost close to nothing.  

I agree totally! As it turns out when u look at the monetary amount , we decided 800 usd for alcohol was ridiculous. We are travelling with a 4 year old so doubt we will drink that much.

That being said there will always be people at either end of the spectrum calling it stealing. I wouldnt share with an adult, but at the price of my drinks giving her a premium OJ wouldnt make me feel bad. 

On 5/27/2019 at 2:52 PM, Marlena said:

I'm interested at what people spent on their deluxe drink package. Cruise planner says 49pp per day but with a note saying its 50 % off the second person.

I feel like it was the same without the " deal" so I'm interested what others paid.

Note. I'm on the symphony of the seas 7 day eastern carribean

We paid $45/day on Allure last month (caught a 30% off sale)... BOGO 50% was $49/day (effectively 25% off) and the usual 20% Cruise Planner price was $52/day for our cruise. The underlying full price (or onboard price) was $65/day. Just remember you will also pay an 18% gratuity on top of that price.

We average between 44 and 47 a day +grats  pre-purchasing.  What I’m surprised at is how my 12 cruise isn’t dropping down from 47.  I figured the longer trip would discourage more people from buying (drink fatigue can be real) so the cost would go down.  Oh well...I will keep checking.  Enjoy your trip.  Jane