Harmony LIVE ~ 6/30 & 7/7 ~ Eastern/Western Caribbean

Joe01

9 hours ago, Jedi Jason said:

Thanks for the live blog.  I will be following along.  I have the western Caribbean cruise on Harmony in October with the same ports.  I haven't been to Costa Maya or Roatan either so I am interested to see what you do there.

Great to you have you following the blog. Not sure yet about Costa Maya or Roatan. TBH, we rarely find anything to do in the Caribbean ports (we don't like beaches much) but I'll try and provide some info.

1 hour ago, Joe01 said:

1 week & 11 hours until it all begins!

Just checked the flights - got a 6 hour layover in EWR on debarkation day. Do you think we would have enough time to go to Manhattan for lunch?

From my research lately on trips from EWR to Manhattan, I would say that it is not worth it.  You would have to deal with traffic first and foremost.  And then it can be quite costly to even get into the city.  Unless you plan to take public transit like the NJ transit system or PATH train.  But that would still be some travel time and 6 hours is not that much time really by the time you go back and forth.

To add to what @Lovetocruise2002 said, you have to factor in the time to go back through security again. 6 hours when you’re already in the middle of the city is one thing, but 6 hours when you need travel time to/from (figure 1 hour minimum round trip), plus security re-check (at least 30 minutes), is pushing it at lunch rush. Time to find a place, time to get seated, time for food prep and actual eating, time to get back to the mass transit stop or get a cab...

Let’s just say there are reasons I avoid the city even though I live about 30 minutes away...

On 6/20/2019 at 12:49 AM, Joe01 said:

got a 6 hour layover in EWR on debarkation day. Do you think we would have enough time to go to Manhattan for lunch?

This is what you need to take into consideration :

1. you will land most likely in terminal B with 12 more fight from Europe.
2. Most of the flight are with people with the Visa waver program which mean the temp visa being done on the spot , for some flights it takes time , you might have lines between 30 to sometimes 2 hours (depends which flight landed before you). just for immigration 

3. As it is your first gate to the US you will need to take you suitcase in EWR and pass custom, for some reason in EWR it takes a while until they bring the suitcases - 15 - 30 minutes  
4. You have the custom 
 lines , again , depends on how many flight and if they are looking for something it can be between 5 to 30 minutes.
5. after you drop your suitcase again you will need to take the shuttle to rail station - the train comes every 8 to 15 minutes , the ride takes 10 minutes.
6, you will take the train to PEN station  - around 20 -25  minutes 15 $ each way.
7. 15 - 20 minutes using the subway to go were you want to go (or just to walk).
8. 30 minutes back or more depends  how long you will wait for the train.
9 15 minutes to terminal C.
10. 30 minutes security.

Now that you will do with your carry on , is it worse it , well you will do the calculation.

Just now, Traveler said:

This is what you need to take into consideration :

1. you will land most likely in terminal B with 12 more fight from Europe.
2. Most of the flight are with people with the Visa waver program which mean the temp visa being done on the spot , for some flights it takes time , you might have lines between 30 to sometimes 2 hours (depends which flight landed before you). just for immigration 

3. As it is your first gate to the US you will need to take you suitcase in EWR and pass custom, for some reason in EWR it takes a while until they bring the suitcases - 15 - 30 minutes  
4. You have the custom 
 lines , again , depends on how many flight and if they are looking for something it can be between 5 to 30 minutes.
5. after you drop your suitcase again you will need to take the shuttle to rail station - the train comes every 8 to 15 minutes , the ride takes 10 minutes.
6, you will take the train to PEN station  - around 20 -25  minutes 15 $ each way.
7. 15 - 20 minutes using the subway to go were you want to go (or just to walk).
8. 30 minutes back or more depends  how long you will wait for the train.
9 15 minutes to terminal C.
10. 30 minutes security.

Now that you will do with your carry on , is it worse it , well you will do the calculation.

This is on debarkation day, so we'll already be flying in from Orlando and the immigration won't apply.

1 minute ago, Joe01 said:

This is on debarkation day, so we'll already be flying in from Orlando and the immigration won't apply.

In that case you might have a case ? , but still  it will take you around 1.5 to two hours just to get to the city.  I sometime takes a car and go to some last minutes shooing and eating in NJ , you can also take a shuttle to Elizabeth outlet indoor mall (10 $ return trip from P4)   , they have some restaurants around , although not the best but its just 10 minutes from the airport. 

On 6/4/2019 at 5:21 AM, Joe01 said:

Any tips on how to prevent sunburn in the Caribbean? Got sunburned in London, can only imagine that the Caribbean will be worse. The joys of being Scottish (and a little bit Irish).

I'm a little late to this thread, but as a person of Celtic colouring living in Australia, who has travelled through the Caribbean (my sister opined that the "whitest person on the planet" travelling there was nuts!) - here's the Aussie message about sun protection: slip, slop, slap!

Slip on a shirt - long sleeved is good

Slop on sunscreen - SPF50 is good, SPF15 is a waste of time and money

Slap on a hat - not a baseball cap, which will give the back of your neck and your ears zero protection. Go for something with a brim all around. 

Following these rules, I came back from my cruise with a pretty decent fair person tan! And no sunburn!

53 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Btw, what is that black circular bit of food on your breakfast plate, in the upper right? Also don't recognize the food between your toast and sausages at the bottom of the plate. Are those local breakfast specialties?

The circular thing looks like black pudding..but no clue what the stuff at the bottom is (haggis?).  Definitely a local breakfast specialty..I recognize a lot of the stuff as a proper English breakfast (beans gives that away).

11 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Safe flight, Joe!

Btw, what is that black circular bit of food on your breakfast plate, in the upper right? Also don't recognize the food between your toast and sausages at the bottom of the plate. Are those local breakfast specialties?

Upper right is black pudding. The food at the bottom is haggis. Both are local specialities.

12 hours ago, Joe01 said:

The food at the bottom is haggis. Both are local specialities.

I have had versions of this and it is quite delicious, which you'd never think from it's description:

hag·gis
/ˈhaɡəs/
noun
noun: haggis; plural noun: haggis; plural noun: haggises
  1. a Scottish dish consisting of a sheep's or calf's offal mixed with suet, oatmeal, and seasoning and boiled in a bag, traditionally one made from the animal's stomach.

On 6/28/2019 at 4:20 AM, Joe01 said:

Staying at Four Points by Sheraton on International Drive on the 21st floor

Interested to know how do you like this hotel and it's condition. Asking as it's offered many time to book using Marriot/Sheraton points and we wonder if it's a good option for our next time to Orlando

5 hours ago, Traveler said:

Interested to know how do you like this hotel and it's condition. Asking as it's offered many time to book using Marriot/Sheraton points and we wonder if it's a good option for our next time to Orlando

I like it. The room is large and the beds are extremely comfortable. It does look a bit tired in places but I'm satisfied with it.

On 6/27/2019 at 8:04 AM, Joe01 said:

At the airport - flight leaving at 0940. Time to go! Long day ahead, wish me luck.

Will miss proper breakfasts on the ship - this is this morning's offering:

IMG_1619.JPG

You won't miss proper breakfasts on the ship. This is pretty much what my husband has every, single day!