Harmony LIVE ~ 6/30 & 7/7 ~ Eastern/Western Caribbean

Joe01

Just finished my final exam and I am now officially a HS graduate. Been a long ride. Now time to focus on cruising! I've seen a few people start their live blogs early on here, so I'll follow suit.

I'll be leaving 1 month today (June 27th) to head for 2 weeks on the Harmony of the Seas. Below is the itinerary:

• June 27th - Flying from Edinburgh to Orlando (on United via Newark)
  • June 28th - Orlando, Florida
  • June 29th - Orlando, Florida
  • June 30th - Embarking Harmony of the Seas in Port Canaveral, Florida
  • July 1st - Perfect Day at CocoCay
  • July 2nd - Sea Day
  • July 3rd - Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas
  • July 4th - Phillipsburg, St Maarten
  • July 5th - Sea Day
  • July 6th - Sea Day
  • July 7th - Port Canaveral, Florida (turnaround day)
  • July 8th - Perfect Day at CocoCay (again!)
  • July 9th - Sea Day
  • July 10th - Costa Maya, Mexico
  • July 11th - Roatan, Honduras
  • July 12th - Cozumel, Mexico (docking with the Liberty of the Seas!)
  • July 13th - Sea Day
  • July 14th - Disembark Harmony/transfer to Airport/Fly to Newark/6 hour layover in EWR (may go to NYC for lunch) and fly home to Scotland
  • July 15th - Arrive in Edinburgh/Drive home to Glasgow (hopefully won't be 5 hours late like in 2016)

I was quite hesitant to return to Harmony initially (I'm a Sagittarius, I'm easily bored and like to try different things), but the 2 calls at CocoCay were too tempting to pass up. In addition - Port Canaveral, Costa Maya and Roatan are also new to me. I've never been to the Orlando area, so I'm going to need some help regarding what to do on my 2 days there pre-cruise. Definitely planning a Cheesecake Factory visit! Planning an express visit to New York for lunch on debarkation day - I will need it since United Airlines serve awful food. I wish there was a decent airline that flew between Scotland and the USA - who wants to fly across the Atlantic on a 757? I digress - just not a fan of flying.

I'm going to have a 2nd stab at live blogging. I tried it last time and I wasn't too successful for multiple reasons but none of them should apply this time, particularly since I now have more phone data so will be periscoping more. No pics until I'm home, but plenty of scopes + commentary. All comments, questions and compliments welcome, although if you dislike what I'm saying, please don't try to derail my blog - I'm deadly serious, it happened last time and I was pretty irked by it. Any issues with my comments, then drop me a direct message. Thanks. ?

In addition, you might know me as the CD connoisseur on here. For now, Marc Walker is scheduled to be the CD (let's hope there will be no changes at the eleventh hour like in 2016 when Abe Hughes had to extend his time home and John Blair came in instead). I've heard great things about Marc so hopefully I will enjoy him. Moe is his AM and I believe that they are a team that work well together so I'm getting the best of the best for the CD/AM combination. Captain Gus is onboard as well, we've sailed with him several times - great guy although I hope he's updated his schtick now that the ship has switched homeport.

We'll be in an inside stateroom on Deck 6. We had options to upgrade but no point paying extra when the inside is perfectly sufficient. 

I think that's all for now. Looking forward to this sailing. If you have anything to say, I'll see you in the comments below. 

Lucky to have experienced so many cruises already at such a young age...

This should be a great two weeks for you......

I am not a huge CD person, but Marc is the only one that I remember...I have been lucky enough to have him 3-4 times and each time there is something about him that makes the cruise more enjoyable. He is supposed to be on Harmony on Nov when I get on her, so fingers crossed...

Enjoy and I cant wait to see lots of pics...inside room for us as well!

22 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That is a "Do Not Pass It Up"! 

Gotta be honest, scratching my head at this one. Orlando is home to some really fantastic food, but Cheesecake Factory doesn't make the list for most people. I had no idea it was viewed as iconic to travelers from afar. It's good stuff, but generally ranks like a 6/10 compared to getting the same dish at a place that specializes in it.

With two full days in Orlando, the obvious suggestion is a theme park. Universal's Islands of Adventure is the place to go for roller coasters, but Disney World is the best of the best and you can't go wrong there. It will be offensively hot, but you knew that when you bought a ticket to Florida in June. The Space Center is also excellent, especially if you're staying on the coast overnight before embarkation. Disney Springs is home to shopping and a bunch of restaurants that I'd pick before Cheesecake Factory, if theme park days aren't on the agenda, or CityWalk at Universal, same thing. Orlando City soccer has a home game the night of the 27th, but compared to the UK, you may not find American soccer very compelling, especially after a day on a plane.

Other restaurants worth considering while you're in town: 4Rivers, several locations, some of the best barbeque in America. Roy's, chain of Hawaiian-Asian fusion restaurants that we miss very badly having moved away. California Grill, atop the Disney Contemporary, is a great meal- if you go late, can view Magic Kingdom fireworks. For very touristy attractions, Rainforest Cafe & T-Rex Cafe are pretty fun. Kobe hibachi on International Drive will be about half the price of Izumi on board. 

If you have other questions about bouncing around Orlando, there's a few people around with roots there who can help.

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

Along with Dunkin, Olive Garden and Applebee's for myself....

Wait, you have Tim Horton's in Canada, no? Friends of mine who've gotten their donuts and coffee there say they blow Dunkin out of the water! What appeal does a Dunkin Donuts have?

And if you like Olive Garden, then I strongly recommend you try out Romano's Macaroni Grill if there is one reasonably close to wherever you're holing up. I just checked and see they have one in the Orlando airport, as well as Lake Buena Vista in the Orlando area. Also one in Miami at Miami-Kendall. Miles better than Olive Garden and very close in price. All of the locations near us closed down years ago despite being hugely popular, and we've been sorely disappointed by that.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Wait, you have Tim Horton's in Canada, no?

Uh..YES!  And to derail this blog even more (sorry @Joe01 lol), Tim Horton's in Canada is way better than Tim Horton's in the US.  There is a difference!  Good tip about Macaroni Grill.  I've always wanted to try it out but have never had the opportunity.

20 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Uh..YES!  And to derail this blog even more (sorry @Joe01 lol), Tim Horton's in Canada is way better than Tim Horton's in the US.  There is a difference!  Good tip about Macaroni Grill.  I've always wanted to try it out but have never had the opportunity.

We have Tim Horton's in the UK now. It's nice but nothing special. It's probably hard for them to compete with Greggs which is a British icon.

Tim's coffee is very strong..I prefer a mellow so I like Dunkin for that better....I also like their cups better(Styrofoam) as it stays hotter longer......I also like their food selection better(although Tim's is starting to have better options) and it prob has something to do with the fact that Dunkin is a vacation treat for me......

Nice tip for Romanao's...have to check it out the next time I am down there....November!

If I may - how old are you?

I think it's fantastic that you're already D+

Your writing style is excellent - nothing I'd expect from a young person (no offence!).  It's 

a very easy, readable, and enjoyable pattern.

We will be sailing Harmony for the first time in April, so I'll definitely be following along closely.  

After managing to go on Lady O twice last year (my 3rd and 4th total), she has a lot to live up to.

It won't be long now!!

LOL  I'm such an idiot.  I forgot that RCBlog levels are similar to Crown & Anchor tiers.   Never mind that part....Image result for rolls eyes gif

Currently at Heathrow Airport. Had a nice weekend away in London. Amazing city - I highly recommend it.

That said, I'm exhausted. Is it just me or do land vacations remind you of why you love to cruise so much? All of the walking around is physically taxing - did 106K steps over 3 days.

On 5/28/2019 at 4:37 PM, JLMoran said:

Wait, you have Tim Horton's in Canada, no?

On 5/28/2019 at 6:18 PM, Joe01 said:
On 5/28/2019 at 5:57 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

opportunity.

We have Tim Horton's in the UK now. It's nice but nothing special

Was also going to chip in with the UK offering now. I've yet to try it but I know they don't do bear claws - my Canadian friend was most upset when she went. 

1 hour ago, Joe01 said:

Currently at Heathrow Airport. Had a nice weekend away in London. Amazing city - I highly recommend it.

That said, I'm exhausted. Is it just me or do land vacations remind you of why you love to cruise so much? All of the walking around is physically taxing - did 106K steps over 3 days.

I know what you mean - feel exactly the same having just come back from 6 days in NYC where we walked 50 miles.

Really looking forward to your live blog btw @Joe01

Seems like I'm now "Pinnacle" on here. ?

Any tips on how to prevent sunburn in the Caribbean? Got sunburned in London, can only imagine that the Caribbean will be worse. The joys of being Scottish (and a little bit Irish).

1 hour ago, Joe01 said:

Seems like I'm now "Pinnacle" on here. ?

Any tips on how to prevent sunburn in the Caribbean? Got sunburned in London, can only imagine that the Caribbean will be worse. The joys of being Scottish (and a little bit Irish).

Congrats on Pinnacle rank here! ?

Best advice I can give is:

• Get a sweat-proof and non-greasy sunblock like Coppertone Sport, in at least SPF 15 (30 or 50 is probably better), that blocks UVA and UVB
  • Apply before you even leave your cabin, and bring it with you to reapply every 2-3 hours; even if you don't go in the water and it's a sweat-proof sunscreen you need to reapply more often than you think
  • Don't forget to apply to your ears and the back of your neck below the collar of your shirt; I'm Italian and don't generally burn if I'm sensible, but I can't tell you how many times I've come back modestly tan everywhere but my ears and neck, which got burnt to boiled lobster levels
  • If you're not in the water, have a shirt and shorts on / do your best to keep covered up without looking like a vampire
  • Wear a baseball cap or something else to help protect your face or neck (depending on which way you orient it)

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:
  • If you're not in the water, have a shirt and shorts on / do your best to keep covered up without looking like a vampire

As a fellow Scot, I have to say I've gotten to nearly full vampire look many times. I'm just happier the next day. I swim in a long sleeve shirt always, and I *never* stand/sit/hang out in the sun -- always aim for the shade! Also, SPF 15 is not enough. 

You'll never see any of these people again, so who cares if they think you're crazy ? 

Two other places to apply sunscreen - just below your adams apple, where the opening to a collard shirt would be...easy to forget.

And experience has definitely taught me to put it just below the backs of your knees, on the upper calves.  You'd be surprised how

badly they can burn if your doing a lot of walking in the sun.

Oh yeah - never forget your feet (just the tops, though).

A BIG CONGRATS on your Graduation!  Also a B2B Harmony cruise to celebrate is definitely the way to go!!!  So very happy for you!  We loved Harmony back in May 2017 and can't wait to get back on Her!  We are doing your exact Eastern Itinerary on September 1st.  I would really appreciate if you could send Matt the Compasses to post!  That would help me a ton.  We have the Ultimate Dining Package for the first time and want to be careful booking times each day around the additional entertainment shows in the compass besides our already prebooked shows we did 2 months ago.  The last time we went on Harmony out of Ft. Lauderdale and arelooking forward to sailing her out of Pt. Canaveral this time!

I'm definitely on team Cheesecake Factory!  My husband's all time favorite dessert is Cheesecake on top of it!

Enjoy!

Michelle

Congrats on your graduation!  Best way to celebrate is with a cruise (we will be on majesty in 3 days to celebrate my daughter's college grad!).  I hope you have an amazing time.  I totally say Disney is truly amazing.... But super pricey for a one day trip so be prepared.  Cocoa Beach near Orlando is fun but would definitely interfere with your vampire necessity!  So funny the restaurants we take for granted...I totally love Tim Hortons when I go to Canada, but Dunkin here is just a regular old coffee run for me!  I agree with whoever mentioned Disney springs... That's free, gives you a feel for Disney and has some really quality restaurants.  

Again, have a great trip! Jane

On 6/12/2019 at 6:04 AM, Cruising to Retirement! said:

A BIG CONGRATS on your Graduation!  Also a B2B Harmony cruise to celebrate is definitely the way to go!!!  So very happy for you!  We loved Harmony back in May 2017 and can't wait to get back on Her!  We are doing your exact Eastern Itinerary on September 1st.  I would really appreciate if you could send Matt the Compasses to post!  That would help me a ton.  We have the Ultimate Dining Package for the first time and want to be careful booking times each day around the additional entertainment shows in the compass besides our already prebooked shows we did 2 months ago.  The last time we went on Harmony out of Ft. Lauderdale and arelooking forward to sailing her out of Pt. Canaveral this time!

I'm definitely on team Cheesecake Factory!  My husband's all time favorite dessert is Cheesecake on top of it!

Enjoy!

Michelle

I'll make sure to send the Compasses. Might just post them during the cruise - I've now got my hands on a device that allows me to import photos from the camera to laptop, so can post photos/compasses live from the ship.

On 6/12/2019 at 12:30 PM, mom2mybugs said:

Congrats on your graduation!  Best way to celebrate is with a cruise (we will be on majesty in 3 days to celebrate my daughter's college grad!).  I hope you have an amazing time.  I totally say Disney is truly amazing.... But super pricey for a one day trip so be prepared.  Cocoa Beach near Orlando is fun but would definitely interfere with your vampire necessity!  So funny the restaurants we take for granted...I totally love Tim Hortons when I go to Canada, but Dunkin here is just a regular old coffee run for me!  I agree with whoever mentioned Disney springs... That's free, gives you a feel for Disney and has some really quality restaurants.  

Again, have a great trip! Jane

Thanks! I definitely agree that cruising is the best way to celebrate. Not so sure about Disney - it looks fun but expensive and my folks aren't really roller coaster types. One of them is feeling humiliated at the prospect of even going to Orlando so that may be an uphill climb. 

Have fun on Majesty!

16 hours ago, Joe01 said:

I'll make sure to send the Compasses. Might just post them during the cruise - I've now got my hands on a device that allows me to import photos from the camera to laptop, so can post photos/compasses live from the ship.

Wow!  Your new device sounds great!  I can't wait for your big trip!  I'm excited to follow along!  The Grease Musical and the Aqua Theater shows on Harmony are some of the all time greats!

2 hours ago, Joe01 said:

Just had a graduation prom. Final ever event with my school. 

Anyone else get really emotional at the end of a life chapter? 

Those are the moments you will cherish forever!  The fabulous news is Joe you are in for a lifetime of more fantastic moments like that!   

Celebrate!!!!

Michelle