On a Roll Sushi Class

Does anyone know if left-overs can be taken from the "On a Roll Sushi class"? I want to purchase this for my wife as a birthday surprise. Everything I've read about this event says they prepare a good amount of food.  She had a surgery in the pass that prevents her from eating a large quantity of food at one setting. She loves sushi but I do not so I do not plan on taking the class with her, otherwise I'd probably eat anything she doesn't during the class. One of Matt's podcasts said I could attend and take pictures. Has anyone had problems attending the class with a loved one if they're not participating? 

My husband has done this class on four different ships and they have not allowed leftovers at any of them.  Since the fish is mostly raw, it's for food safety reasons. But I have heard reports of some being allowed to take the cooked fish rolls out.

All four allowed people to come and watch, and on Adventure specifically they suggested you have friends/family come at the end to help eat.  We had three participating and two watching from afar (they we not allowed at the actual tables, but off to the side at the end of the table.)  After they were done making the sushi, the two who watched joined the others at the table to help eat.  

On Adventure, it was the only time there was plenty of extra places for people, though.  Harmony and Serenade did not have extra places set, and Grandeur had two extra spots at the end for walk-ins but that was it.  

Each ship made a different amount of food, and thus the prices were different.  Serenade and Grandeur gave a drink with the meal (one was a small Japanese strawberry and the other was a mimosa.)  After 4 classes, he has never had a repeat of the same exact experience.  Each sushi master has conducted the class in their own way, some with more information/background than others.

My suggestion is to wait to book on board, and when you book mention you'd like to come to help eat afterwards.  See what they say. 

7 minutes ago, KathyC said:

My husband has done this class on four different ships and they have not allowed leftovers at any of them.  Since the fish is mostly raw, it's for food safety reasons. But I have heard reports of some being allowed to take the cooked fish rolls out.

All four allowed people to come and watch, and on Adventure specifically they suggested you have friends/family come at the end to help eat.  We had three participating and two watching from afar (they we not allowed at the actual tables, but off to the side at the end of the table.)  After they were done making the sushi, the two who watched joined the others at the table to help eat.  

On Adventure, it was the only time there was plenty of extra places for people, though.  Harmony and Serenade did not have extra places set, and Grandeur had two extra spots at the end for walk-ins but that was it.  

Each ship made a different amount of food, and thus the prices were different.  Serenade and Grandeur gave a drink with the meal (one was a small Japanese strawberry and the other was a mimosa.)  After 4 classes, he has never had a repeat of the same exact experience.  Each sushi master has conducted the class in their own way, some with more information/background than others.

My suggestion is to wait to book on board, and when you book mention you'd like to come to help eat afterwards.  See what they say. 

Thank you for the detailed reply KathyC! I don't care for sushi, but that's good advice about waiting until we're on board. I've yet to see any on board activities discounted in the cruise planner, so unless I'm looking for a specific day booking in advance is probably not necessary.

7 minutes ago, Tom Fields said:

Thank you for the detailed reply KathyC! I don't care for sushi, but that's good advice about waiting until we're on board. I've yet to see any on board activities discounted in the cruise planner, so unless I'm looking for a specific day booking in advance is probably not necessary.

We've never seen the sushi class discounted. 

My son and I did the class on Thursday morning and he wasn’t hungry since he had a late breakfast.  He didn’t eat any and the staff offered it “to go”.  We made a California hand roll, tempura shrimp roll and two shrimp nigri.  I ate most of mine and we sampled some of his.  No one brought anyone with them for pics or observation, everyone was participating.   

The offer to take it with us might just be because we knew the maitre’d pretty well by that point of the cruise and even had dinner in Izumi the night before.  So they might have been offering since we were known to them.

1 minute ago, ScooterScott22 said:

My son and I did the class on Thursday morning and he wasn’t hungry since he had a late breakfast.  He didn’t eat any and the staff offered it “to go”.  We made a California hand roll, tempura shrimp roll and two shrimp nigri.  I ate most of mine and we sampled some of his.  No one brought anyone with them for pics or observation, everyone was participating.   

The offer to take it with us might just be because we knew the maitre’d pretty well by that point of the cruise and even had dinner in Izumi the night before.  So they might have been offering since we were known to them.

Thanks for the information ScooterScott22. It sounds like you guys made the same items melski94 made. It seems like as long as she doesn't make something that is raw, left-overs to go may be an option. 

I took part in the class on Enchantment in February of this year; I ate one or two pieces, and was allowed to bring the rest back to our cabin for my husband to try -- complete with a room service lid :-).  We were given champagne / mimosas to drink after the class, and made the same items ScooterScott22 mentioned.  I think my class was $30.  Well worth it -- I actually made sushi at home upon our return!

I have found everyone's answers really helpful as I'm looking at buying this class for my Mum and myself on our first Royal cruise.    Neither of us eat  meat, shell fish and some other types of fish, will this be a problem?   Don't want to book and find out we can't eat most of the options.  Thanks for your help ?

7 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

I took part in the class on Enchantment in February of this year; I ate one or two pieces, and was allowed to bring the rest back to our cabin for my husband to try -- complete with a room service lid :-).  We were given champagne / mimosas to drink after the class, and made the same items ScooterScott22 mentioned.  I think my class was $30.  Well worth it -- I actually made sushi at home upon our return!

Thank you for your information IRMO12HD. The more input I receive from fellow Royal Caribbean travelers on this thread the more I’m convinced this is a good idea to book as a surprise for my wife. 

18 hours ago, jayde43 said:

I have found everyone's answers really helpful as I'm looking at buying this class for my Mum and myself on our first Royal cruise.    Neither of us eat  meat, shell fish and some other types of fish, will this be a problem?   Don't want to book and find out we can't eat most of the options.  Thanks for your help ?

Hoping they ask preferences at the start!  My daughter is doing the class with us and she is vegetarian.  Since she loves veggie rolls I’m assuming she will be able to leave things out.  Jane