Single female diver- newly cert. Grand Cayman

brantaylor316

What would be a good option for a newly certified diver, young female, traveling alone, to dive in Grand Cayman?  No boats, prefer a shore dive.  Safety is a priority.   Would the ship sponsored Shore Dive be the best option, so the diver would have a chance to buddy up with someone beforehand?  Eden Rock has also been recommended, but how safe would it be for her to make her way there and dive alone without knowing anyone else?

Thanks.

Eden Rock would be a terrific choice.  It is located to the right of where the tenders dock and s only a few blocks away on the downtown waterfront.  It’s a blue building that you should easily see as you tender in.  Very good diving and helpful staff.  Not sure if they could arrange a buddy, though.  

In general, Grand Cayman is very safe so I wouldn’t have any reservations about walking there yourself.  It’s a short walk and they’ll be a lot of cruisers in the same area.

Waaaay back in the last millennium, I was a newly certified female diver, too !  LOL  I was not traveling alone, but a group of my family spent a week diving in Grand Cayman.  It is one of the most spectacular experiences of my life.  You will love diving in GC.  I would say that if you believe this will be your one and only trip to dive in GC, do NOT miss diving one of "the walls".  It is GC signature dive experience.  It is very safe (as long as you have experienced dive masters with you) and it is really something.  Frankly, I cannot recall whether "the walls" were boat dives or shore dives (it's been over 30 years !), but whatever it takes, I strongly recommend that you do it.  Don't get me wrong...there are plenty of great shore diving locations too, but if you're going to be in GC and especially if you think this might be your only time, don't let this opportunity go to waste.  There are many locations for wall dives so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one that will work for you.

1 hour ago, rjac said:

Only problem with diving a wall is you can end up going waaaytooo deep before you realize it. That's why you want an experienced dive buddy/dive master with you. ?

Yep. You have no idea how deep you are if you’re not careful.  That’s why it’s really important to have a good (and attentive) dive leader.  If he or she knows they have a novice on board they will watch them.

I’ve always wanted to ask you, Robert...do you know Jonathan Pharr ?  

24 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yep. You have no idea how deep you are if you’re not careful.  That’s why it’s really important to have a good (and attentive) dive leader.  If he or she knows they have a novice on board they will watch them.

I’ve always wanted to ask you, Robert...do you know Jonathan Pharr ?  

Sorry, I do not know him. Does he live in New Bern, NC?:27_sunglasses:

5 minutes ago, rjac said:

Sorry, I do not know him. Does he live in New Bern, NC?:27_sunglasses:

Well, he did in the 90s. He was a SCUBA instructor and a Chemistry professor at CCC.  I got my Advanced OWD and Rescue Diver certs with him.  He was responsible for getting me excited about Chemistry and set me on my path to getting my BS in Chemistry and all good things in my future.  I thought maybe you ran in the same SCUBA circles.  He has a twin brother but I can’t recall his bothers name.