When you are on a cruise...

When you are on a cruise...  do you, generally WANT?  ENJOY?  APPRECIATE?  KEEP AN EYE/EAR OUT FOR? a part of the ship that is quiet?  I preface this question, with my interest (and, eventually sailing on) an "oasis-class" ship.

Again, I'm fairly new to the boards - and, yet to do take my first cruise.  I have seen many online videos (youtube, etc) that will show a great deal of areas on the ship that have areas that seem loud.  Example, the pool area(s) seem to have music, often, being played.  The area / esplanade with the various shops/restaurants.  Please understand -- I do not want to seem like a person who is wanting a "library"... but, at the same time does "constant" hip-hop music sort of put a damper on your enjoyment?  Like I said, I do not have first-hand experience aboard a ship --and-- a posted video online may not give a true example of how things really are.  And, so I post my question. 

Here, in Las Vegas (sorry to off topic), a large number of the resorts have music (the sort that includes elevated BASS) at the pool areas.  Sigh.  It does not make me angry, I can usually tune it out.  But, what about the rest of you?  Does it cause irritation -- that is, if it really is a constant thing?  Or, am I watching too many videos?

Lastly, are there some gems?  Some hideaways?  Places you like to go to that sort of escape the crowds? 

What about lounging on the deck (etc) & just watching the ocean?

It, mostly, sounds like these ships are "near capacity" when they sail... and 2,000 people will obviously be here/there/everywhere.  :)

Thank you again, I'm enjoying these message boards!

As far as pools, the main pool usually has music (and children), but the Solarium pool is typically quiet.  I haven't been on an Oasis class ship yet but found my solace on Mariner on the deck chairs on the promenade that goes around the outside of deck 4, as well as the deck way up on top forward near the mini golf (which I rarely saw people using).

Guest toodle68

We generally always have a balcony, but rarely enjoy it because sometimes the heat is too much.. but our recent cruise the temp was perfect and we ended up spending a lot of time on our own balcony. We were on the 8th floor and we could hear the ocean. That is the most important factor for us and why we also camp out on deck 4 on the smaller ships. By the pool is nice, but we are huge on being close too and hearing/seeing the ocean.

I haven’t sailed any Oasis class ship, but I repeatedly see comments here about how quiet and restful it generally is in the Central Park area. Especially at night or in the morning. I’ve read where they sometimes have a string duet or other classical / quieter music being played live there, but otherwise many have written about it being a haven or refuge from the rest of the ship.

Check some of @twangster’s, @CGTLH’s, or @Lovetocruise2002‘s blogs from their Oasis class sailings to see lots of photos of the space, especially at night.

+1 on the balcony and Central Park (day or night).  If you have access to the suite sundeck, that place is also very calm and quiet.  Oasis class ships disperse crowds really well.  I have yet to feel crowded on one (except during embarkation and when shows let out).  @Skid recently blogged from his first time on Oasis class and in his final thoughts, he makes comments on how well the crowds are handled.  Have a read through that one too.

59 minutes ago, toodle68 said:

We generally always have a balcony, but rarely enjoy it because sometimes the heat is too much.. but our recent cruise the temp was perfect and we ended up spending a lot of time on our own balcony. We were on the 8th floor and we could hear the ocean. That is the most important factor for us and why we also camp out on deck 4 on the smaller ships. By the pool is nice, but we are huge on being close too and hearing/seeing the ocean.

If I do cruise... I'm thinking that a balcony (ocean view) room would be incredible.  Then, there is the cost.  I, also, think at the same time "what if there are a LARGE NUMBER of areas" that I can have some peace & quiet aboard the ship's public areas?  If so, would saving $600 make sense.  I guess I'm running many things through my mind.  By the way, I absolutely appreciate the response!

Also, you said you were on the 8th floor -- and, could hear the ocean.  Is it less possible on the 10th? 11th? 12th?

+2 Balcony.  For us, we only cruise 1x a yr because we won't cruise without being on a balcony.  We love it for so many reasons, but our very favorite is breakfast.  You can have a continental delivered for free (only cost is the tip) on your balcony.  We usually will go up to WJ and get an omelet and hash browns to go and bring them back to our cabin so as we show up with that food, they are delivering the continental breakfast.

8 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

+1 on the balcony and Central Park (day or night).  If you have access to the suite sundeck, that place is also very calm and quiet.  Oasis class ships disperse crowds really well.  I have yet to feel crowded on one (except during embarkation and when shows let out).  @Skid recently blogged from his first time on Oasis class and in his final thoughts, he makes comments on how well the crowds are handled.  Have a read through that one too.

Okay... I will have a look at it.  Thank you!!

3 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

+2 Balcony.  For us, we only cruise 1x a yr because we won't cruise without being on a balcony.  We love it for so many reasons, but our very favorite is breakfast.  You can have a continental delivered for free (only cost is the tip) on your balcony.  We usually will go up to WJ and get an omelet and hash browns to go and bring them back to our cabin so as we show up with that food, they are delivering the continental breakfast.

I have to say, that sounds pretty fantastic.  I'm a fan of hash browns.  And, baked potatoes.  Oh, and French fries.  Garlic fries too.  Mashed is very acceptable in my book as well.  Ahhh.  :)

I've seen on some rooms (cabins?)  (suites?) etc... have a larger balcony -- sq. footage I mean.  It looks like all of them have at least a single chair and a table, too?

18 hours ago, VegasFella said:

I have to say, that sounds pretty fantastic.  I'm a fan of hash browns.  And, baked potatoes.  Oh, and French fries.  Garlic fries too.  Mashed is very acceptable in my book as well.  Ahhh.  ?

I've seen on some rooms (cabins?)  (suites?) etc... have a larger balcony -- sq. footage I mean.  It looks like all of them have at least a single chair and a table, too?

We also treasure our ocean view balconies. In addition to your everyday peace and quiet (assuming your neighbors are being respectful) it's also a great place to watch sail aways. It may depend on which side you are on.

But here is great tip, one for which I can't have the credit and don't remember who posted it first. On Symphony (maybe other Oadis class also??), go to Deck 14. Walk all the way forward on the port side. There's a door there that goes out from the bridge, overlooks the helipad and gives an amazing view. Plus, there are some very comfortable chairs and plenty of loungers in an area that many people don't know about (well, they do now). There is also a glass door after you get in there that is goes further over the side of ship and is totally open..warning--take off you hat first unless you want to lose it. Bring a drink and a book and relax away!

53 minutes ago, VegasFella said:

Also, you said you were on the 8th floor -- and, could hear the ocean.  Is it less possible on the 10th? 11th? 12th?

On Anthem we were on the 12th deck and you could hear the ocean.  

53 minutes ago, VegasFella said:

Then, there is the cost.  I, also, think at the same time "what if there are a LARGE NUMBER of areas" that I can have some peace & quiet aboard the ship's public areas?  If so, would saving $600 make sense. 

You know your budget, but I would highly recommend that if paying the 600 more equates to less excursions, and upgrades (food/bev) I would not pay for the balcony.  

I would say for my husband and I our excursions(cabana at Coco Cay, snorkeling in Bermuda, pedicure for me), food, (specialty, Chef's table, galley brunch), bev.,(Deluxe for 8 nights), Voom, etc.  probably totaled close to another $2,000.   Think about the little costs you have not thought about.  A refreshment package is 20 pp per night.  2 people for 5 nights and you are at 200 (this is not the unlimited alcohol).  Want the alcohol and you are 500+ for 5 nights.   Parasailing at some island could be in the 200 marker.  The Key another 250.  This is also why we only cruise 1x a yr.  My husband and I know each other we just keep adding and adding and adding.  If I could control myself, than we could do multiple cruises.  That and we have children having grandbabies (in another state), getting married and a need to spend $$$ there too. If only I could win the Powerball my life would allow me to do it all.

17 minutes ago, VegasFella said:

For the most part, regular balcony cabins all have the same size balcony within a given ship class, regardless of deck. The exceptions are “Utra Spacious Ocean View Balcony” cabins that can sleep up to 4, as these sacrifice balcony space for a slightly larger cabin area.

Balcony cabins on the bump-out / “hump” mid-ship tend to have slightly larger balconies, but these will be more expensive then non-hump cabins due to their preferable location.

Cabins on the aft of the ship may have a bigger balcony, but it may be long and skinny rather than wide and only modestly deep. Usually the better aft cabins with big balconies are Jr suites or higher category.

cruisedeckplans.com is a good resource for finding the better cabins as well as the ones to avoid due to noise or other issues.

31 minutes ago, VegasFella said:

They all come with at least 2 chairs and a table.  There are larger balconies with a lounger too, but for my husband and I the smaller balcony is fine.  We do not sail with kids, so we only need that.  Plus, when we travel with groups. we try to bank our cabins together, and than ask the attendant to break down the balcony divider.  It makes having a balcony even better.  We would all hang out together at night or the a.m. as we sailed in and out of port.  We would get cocktails and pull up our tables together.   We also would use this as a way to get to another cabin instead of the hallway where you need to take your key card to get back in your cabin.  

1 hour ago, VegasFella said:

Like others have already mentioned, all balconies have at least a small table and 2 chairs.  Some of the suite balconies have a bit more furniture (dining table, loungers, etc.). 

If you can find balconies on the "hump" (look on the deck plans where the side of the ship comes out a bit) they have a bit more square footage.  In addition, I cannot remember the cabin number, but there is a Central Park balcony cabin that is unusually large because of the location of it. @Matt might be able to help because he has had this cabin before.

I also thought of another quiet area on the ship...the scenery is not as nice but it is a space that does not see a whole lot of traffic.  On Deck 5 there is a jogging track.  IIRC, there are some small areas and chairs set up for seating there.  You are also quite close to the water in that location.

6 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

If you can find balconies on the "hump" (look on the deck plans where the side of the ship comes out a bit)

We usually get the center hump cabins. The best part about them is that if you get the exact center ones you can see everything looking both forward and aft. In the other balconies the hump itself can block your view. In Adventure of the Seas there are only 2 of these center hump cabins on each side of the ship. In the plan below for deck 7,  you'd want to be in 7318, 7320, 7618 or 7620. You can see deck plans here.

image.png.573ea9d4977e80991cdc1e5174ef3c40.png

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

In addition, I cannot remember the cabin number, but there is a Central Park balcony cabin that is unusually large because of the location of it. @Matt might be able to help because he has had this cabin before.

These cabins end in 229 and 629 on the central park decks.

A few quiet suggestions.  We too, like to be a little bit away from the "madding crowd".  Actually, I think there are many, many places to "get away from it all".  It does not matter if there are 1,000, 2,000, or 6,000 people on board, the ship designers are aware of the potential issue. 

Try:

• Deck 5 on some of the ships (especially Oasis and Freedom Class, possibly Voyager Class [it has been a long time]).  They even have deck chairs aft.  I think Radiance class have on deck 4 (but it has also been a long, long time).  Maybe someone, with some recent experience can chime in.  However, the aft portion of the ship near the wake is very special.
  • Deck 6 on Grandeur (aft again) in the South Pacific Lounge.  Again, you can see the wake.  It is not outside, but it is quiet if nothing is happening in the South Pacific Lounge.  It is right beside the Diamond Lounge.  It might be similar on other Vision class ships.  Quantum class has the Two70 lounge the is on Deck 5 aft (however the seating is not great for wake viewing ... still it is normally quite quiet).
  • The Viking Crown Lounge on any ship that has not been taken over by Suite "expansions".  Again, I am looking for the veterans to indicate which ones apply.  I have not verified, but probably: Mariner, Voyager, Brilliance, Vision, Empress, Enchantment, Majesty, Adventure, Grandeur, Liberty, Radiance, Explorer, Navigator, Serenade, Jewel, Independence, Freedom and Rhapsody.
  • I agree 100% with Central Park.  Especially in the evening when they have music playing in the park.  Very calm, cool and relaxing.
  • Most, if not all, Solariums.  They are covered so it really does not matter on which part of the world you are is.  Just be aware that there might be some restrictions in Asia.
  • I think Radiance Class and Quantum Class have an outdoor area aft of the Windjammer.  Not as good as the ones above, but still very pleasant.

That's a start ...

3 hours ago, Skid said:

We also treasure our ocean view balconies. In addition to your everyday peace and quiet (assuming your neighbors are being respectful) it's also a great place to watch sail aways. It may depend on which side you are on.

But here is great tip, one for which I can't have the credit and don't remember who posted it first. Go to Deck 14. Walk all the way forward on the port side. There's a door there that goes out from the bridge, overlooks the helipad and gives an amazing view. Plus, there are some very comfortable chairs and plenty of loungers in an area that many people don't know about (well, they do now). There is also a glass door after you get in there that is goes further over the side of ship and is totally open..warning--take off you hat first unless you want to lose it. Bring a drink and a book and relax away!

Skid.. hello there!  Thank you very much for the ideas.  :)  Appreciate it.  I can see where an OCEAN balcony would be amazing.

I agree with all the above....you can definitely find quiet areas on the ship.  I spend a great deal of time on the sky deck... During the day it can be somewhat noisy but I think if you are facing the ocean you can find it to be fine.  As it gets later and people leave for dinner prep it is beautiful and quiet.  Jane

As others have said, it all comes down to personal preferences.  I won't sail unless I can be in a balcony cabin.  I love having my own outdoor space.  I usually go to the port very early and am among the first to board, so there are less crowds early on.  On board, I just wander around until I find a cozy and quiet area.  I rarely book excursions, sometimes don't even get off the ship.  Everything is quieter and less crowded on board on port days.  The Windjammer Café is very peaceful during dinner time in the main dining room.  I am sure you will have a great time and as you take future cruises you will figure out what works for you.  Enjoy!

If noise is a factor to you then I wouldn't go with a Central Park balcony and its the same with an ocean balcony.  My kids CP balcony was loud from the pool music especially the band during the day and we were on deck 10 which is the lowest balcony you could get.  If you are really sensitive to noise, you may just want to avoid being outside during times the band plays.  Personally I loved being on deck 10 on Symphony (better than deck 12 on Harmony).  Deck 10 splits the difference between the Promenade and the pool.

balconies are great for getting away from the crowds and sounds.  I have not been on an Oasis Class ship yet. I will say tho that there have been places or A place on each of our cruises where we found "quiet" time.  I enjoy laying in the sun and listening to the ocean also.  On each cruise, there have been places where it was breezy so it made it nice to lay in the sun and drowned out other noise and kept me "cooler" while baking my fair skin.  LOL 

I have always been able to find a quiet area on board.

Inside the various night time dancing and music venues are often empty or nearly so during the day. Some have tremendous picture window views of the ocean.

Outside just walk around each deck and explore. You can often find smaller, somewhat isolated areas with deck chairs in sun or shade, protected from the wind and with very little foot traffic.

Its pretty obvious where people will gather around pools, food, drink, sports activities and so on. Just go where people are not attracted.

There are also great sitting areas around the main stairways that often have good views of the ocean and you can people watch.

On the Harmony last month. Over 6000 people aboard and I had the Solarium hot tub to myself for over 30 minutes. It had an infinity edge and was overlooking the mountains of Haiti. Beautiful. I had to leave before I fell asleep! There were nooks in Central Park where you could sit by yourself surrounded by plants. Also behind the Aqua Show pool - great Aft viewing and few visitors. The bars have differing venues and you can find "your" spot.