Pre-Book Specialty or Wait

DDaley

I have read a few times here that Royal will try and drum up business for its specialty restaurants while you're on board and offer discounts to get you in the door. 

I am looking at Sabor for 1 night (on Freedom) and it's currently priced at $25pp. As a native San Diegan, $50 for a 2 person Mexican meal seems very steep.. sure, I could spend that much for one meal in SD but for that price it would've included at least 4 margaritas. I suppose with my DBP that our margaritas would be covered but as they're not technically factoring in to the $50 meal price I am questioning purchasing. 

How often will Royal advertise specialty discounts once on board? Is $25 the lowest I am likely to see for Sabor? 

I have seen Sabor on Harmony for $22 in the cruise planner for my October 20 cruise.  If the specialty dining is not selling well you may see waiters wandering the windjammer at breakfast or lunch time or be in common areas trying to get more bookings and sometimes at a discount.  You can always ask on board if there are any specials.  I don't think the price will be any higher on board.  The advantage to pre booking is being able to reserve a specific date and time.  If you book on board you might be limited by days or times that are left.  I know I have seen this or even had my wait staff at a specialty dining restaurant tell me they would give me a discount if I returned to the restaurant on a future night.

2 hours ago, Jedi Jason said:

I don't think the price will be any higher on board.  The advantage to pre booking is being able to reserve a specific date and time.  If you book on board you might be limited by days or times that are left.

Thanks so much! Thinking I am going to hold out and see what's up once on board... having to go by their available timing won't really be an issue as I've got my MTD scheduled all over the place as it is. 

13 hours ago, Marlena said:

Our unlimited dining package was originally 199 and just dropped to 175. So we booked! 

It's a little ridiculous because 3 nights is 99 but unlimited is 175.

Keep in mind the unlimited includes lunch on sea days and frequently on day one if you ask.  The unlimited also allows you to go to multiple restaurants per evening.  For example, you could go to playmakers or Izumi and get some apps or sushi and then later eat at Chops.

1 hour ago, Jedi Jason said:

Keep in mind the unlimited includes lunch on sea days and frequently on day one if you ask.  The unlimited also allows you to go to multiple restaurants per evening.  For example, you could go to playmakers or Izumi and get some apps or sushi and then later eat at Chops.

Oh I agree! I just assume mostbdont book 3 days atv99 when they get everything for 175.

3 hours ago, Jedi Jason said:

On Navigator I was able to get lunch on embarkation day as well as lunch when in port (Nassau).