Sign in to follow this  
Paige

Skates on the Symphony

Hi, everyone!

We're going on Symphony, and I LOVE skating. As for the skates that passengers can use, are they the plastic, molded skates or the MUCH more comfortable leather ones?

12 hours ago, Paige said:

As for the skates that passengers can use, are they the plastic, molded skates or the MUCH more comfortable leather ones?

The smaller sizes are molded plastic, the larger sizes are "hockey" skates.

I actually have a question about this.  And its going to seem REAL weird, but are you allowed to bring/use your own skates?  Yes I realize they take up valuable bag real estate but I used to figure skate and got very very accustomed to wearing my custom skates.  I think if I was allowed to bring my own I'd never leave the rink!  

My only concern would be Royal's desire to check all passenger brought skates prior to allowing them on their rink.  I mean if you get a hockey player bringing actual hockey skates it could be very dangerous with how thin and sharp the blades of those skates are (heck even my customs are super sharp), and then you have the potential of the other end of the spectrum of someone with a very poorly kept pair of skates hardly able to be used on a standard rink much less a moving rink at sea.  

I don't know much about skates but I do know there are VERY limited hours that the rink is open for skating.  That alone would deter me from using up packing space for my own skates!  Try finding a Cruise Compass for a trip similar to yours and see if it actually makes sense to bring your skates.

1 hour ago, ThyriC said:

And its going to seem REAL weird, but are you allowed to bring/use your own skates? 

Yes you can. In the past, if you did bring your own, you were supposed to skate at one of the advanced skate sessions onboard.

You need your own skates for advanced skate, you will be required to wear their helmet. Its rather (very) warm in the rink, too.  Go down and find a skater on day 1, to plan around the  advanced open skate time, or pay for "the key"