Orlando to Miami Tolls ?

Hi all,

I apologize if this has been answered before but I couldn't find a thread on it.

We are visiting Orlando this weekend and book on the Navigator next Friday out of Miami.

We are renting a car from MCO and returning it to FLL after the trip.

We want to get to Miami as quickly as we can.  I know the Florida Turnpike is the quickest route.  But I am concerned about tolls.

I know the tolls are cashless on the Turnpike.  I don't want to pay $7 per day for a transponder from my rental car as my entire trip is 10 days with only one having tolls.

It seems like I can walk into a Publix, Walgreens or CVS and buy a SunPass.  Is that possible to buy a SunPass and link it to the rental car?

Any input would be appreciated.

@Matt

2 hours ago, Bean79 said:

Pay cash on the Beachline (528) to I-95 south. No tolls on 95.

When we drove down to Lauderdale from the Orlando, that's the exact route we took, because of this reason ..... it went flawless.

Question..... when you rent the car, are you headed straight to Miami?  If not, where in the Orlando area will you be?  I know, if you're in the Kissimmee/St. Cloud .... it's actually quicker to go 192 east towards Melbourne .... it'll shave some time off the drive, and, no tolls at all.

4 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

When we drove down to Lauderdale from the Orlando, that's the exact route we took, because of this reason ..... it's went flawless.

Question..... when you rent the car, are you headed straight to Miami?  If not, where in the Orlando area will you be?  I know, if you're in the Kissimmee/St. Cloud .... it's actually quicker to 192 east towards Melbourne .... it'll shave some time off the drive, and, no tolls at all.

We are spending 7 nights in Disney and then driving to Miami for the cruise.  Since we have a 3.5 hour plus drive we want to get to the port as early as we can.  And driving to Miami the night before is not an option as we have plans our last night in Disney.

So we'll leave around 8AM and hope to be at the port at noon.  We have two small kids so we want to get their as quick as we can.

8 minutes ago, DisneyWorld30th said:

We are spending 7 nights in Disney and then driving to Miami for the cruise.  Since we have a 3.5 hour plus drive we want to get to the port as early as we can.  And driving to Miami the night before is not an option as we have plans our last night in Disney.

So we'll leave around 8AM and hope to be at the port at noon.  We have two small kids so we want to get their as quick as we can.

An interesting twist to the drive that'll put you further south than 528.....

Get on 417 East as if you're going to MCO ..... (You'll have a couple of tolls of $1.75 each)

Right after the Airport and Lake Nona Exits ..... take the exit for Narcoossee south towards St. Cloud.  What's nice about this is that you avoid all the lights in Kissimmee AND St. Cloud (Narcoossee is on the east side of SC).....

It'll be a few miles down Narcoossee (past Lake Nona and that whole area) ..... then turn left onto 192 East towards Melbourne ..... you'll pass by the Harmony Golf Preserve.  It takes a little over a 1/2 hour to get to I-95 once you're on 192 ..... be warned.... the road is BORING..... long straight stretches of nothing.

Going this route will put you well below 528 and all the Space Center/Port Canaveral traffic.

59 minutes ago, DisneyWorld30th said:

Hi all,

I apologize if this has been answered before but I couldn't find a thread on it.

We are visiting Orlando this weekend and book on the Navigator next Friday out of Miami.

We want to get to Miami as quickly as we can.  I know the Florida Turnpike is the quickest route.  But I am concerned about tolls.

I know the tolls are cashless on the Turnpike.  I don't want to pay $7 per day for a transponder from my rental car as my entire trip is 10 days with only one having tolls.

It seems like I can walk into a Publix, Walgreens or CVS and buy a SunPass.  Is that possible to buy a SunPass and link it to the rental car?

@Matt

There are two types of sun passes.  One is a sticker that is attached to your windshield and the other is plastic and uses suction cups to attach to the windshield.  They can both be attached to any car but the sticker is destroyed once its removed.  I have two with the suction cups and have loaned them out to family when they come into town.  So, yes you can link it to a rental car.  You will have to log into the account you create and add the tag number just in case the reader doesn't register.  They'll look to see if you have a transponder and just charge your account.  The sticker is sort of free, you pay like $5 but it gets credited to your account, the plastic one cost (I think) about $10 but don't remember if its credited to your account.  That information should be on the package.  

2 hours ago, DisneyWorld30th said:

Hi all,

@Matt

The rental cars have a method to charge you for tolls so I wouldn’t be bothered with trying to find a sun pass. 

5 hours ago, DisneyWorld30th said:

t seems like I can walk into a Publix, Walgreens or CVS and buy a SunPass.  Is that possible to buy a SunPass and link it to the rental car?

Yes, you can. I'd advise you to set up your account before we leave home and then buy the transponder and quickly add to your account so you aren't wasting time