Deals on Excursions

I have been able to book excursions at 25% off prices previously advertised in the cruise planner (not on your sailing). Prices go up and down like a yoyo. However, since Royal practises creative maths, the trick is to book your excursions as soon as you see them at a price you're comfortable with. That way, you lock in your places at an acceptable price but can still cancel and rebook if you see it cheaper during a subsequent sale. Being somewhat obsessive in checking your cruise planner can definitely pay off.

Welcome to the boards!

It's really hard to say - this really all depends on how well the excursions are selling - if people are snapping them up, the prices will likely remain higher, if not many people are purchasing, they may discount them more. 

Your best bet is to watch for marketing emails/posts on this blog about upcoming cruise planner sales.  These sales are pretty frequent, but are sometimes limited to sailings only a few months out.

My strategy, along with a lot of others here is to find a price that you are comfortable with paying and go ahead and book it.  If the price drops, you can cancel the excursion right on the cruise planner site and rebook at the lower price.  Just keep in mind that the refund on the original purchase isn't immediate - it can take about a week to come back to your card, so you'll need to keep that in mind if you cancel/rebook.

What are the ports you will be visiting? As long as you have a "full" day in port -- like 8 AM to 4 PM or 9 AM to 5 PM -- you can often book the same excursions directly for a good bit less than what Royal charges, or even find excursions Royal doesn't offer that can give a much better experience. Just check a place like TripAdvisor.com and make sure the company doing the tour / activity has a good reputation and is reliable about getting people back in time for all-aboard.

I did this in St. Maarten with my family, and we had a much better time than we would have had on any of the Royal-hosted excursions. On the flip side, in St. Kitts we booked our dolphin excursion through Royal after reading some less than stellar reviews from people who booked directly.