Can we bring travel iron?

10 minutes ago, Mrs Barbara Harris said:

Going on our 1st cruise soon but need to know if we can bring a travel iron/ steamer for our clothes as there's no laundry 'floor' on Explorer Of The Seas and we don't like wearing creased clothing

Sorry, that would be a no to both. They are prohibited as potential fire risks. You can check here or on line at Royal Caribbean for a complete list of prohibited items.

• Matt changed the title to Can we bring travel iron?
8 hours ago, Mrs Barbara Harris said:

Going on our 1st cruise soon but need to know if we can bring a travel iron/ steamer for our clothes

Nope. It will be confiscated if you try to.

7 hours ago, Bean79 said:

However, I believe you can bring a hair straightener which can be an improvised iron

Yes, you can bring a hair straightening iron

I have short hair and no need for either a blow dryer or a flat iron, but I own a flat iron just to take on cruises to iron my clothes.  

I would suggest that you check out Chico's and their traveler line.  They can be expensive, but if you catch a sale they are well worth the cost.  Nice quality, classic lines and they never wrinkle.  For my husband we get his clothes from Jos. A. Bank.  They too have a line called the travelers collection (shirts, shorts, pants, and suits).  All you need to do is hang them in the bathroom when you take a shower and the wrinkles will fall out.

Some cruisers take Downy Release with them, but we never do since we pack those type of clothes.  The flat iron comes out only 1x or 2x during our cruise.  The 1st is because my hubby insists on taking his linen shirt/pants outfit.  The 2nd time is I am anal, and I use it to iron his dress shirt for the formal night....yes, I know nobody will see any wrinkles under his jacket, but I will know they are there.  Truth be told, right before the cruise I will take all of his shirts to the dry cleaner and ask for heavy starch, which is another reason I don't need Downy Release.  I keep them in the dry cleaner bags (remove the hangars), roll them up and pack.  

49 minutes ago, JennyB said:

I've done that on all our cruises and I also take a small bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release spray.  Works great!

I used the Downy Wrinkle Release spray on my mom's very wrinkly shirt on this last cruise. Since I knew that she treasures her iron and perfection and that there's only so much the Downy can do, I made sure to take before and after pictures for her. She begrudgingly admitted it was better but you could tell she still wanted her iron. ?

6 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I guess I’m the only one who just doesn’t care !  I let my wrinkles fly !  Who cares ?  You’re never gonna see these people again !  If they don’t like my wrinkles they can avert their eyes and look elsewhere !

I am that way for my clothes, however,  after yrs of being married to an officer in the military it is just in my blood to make sure there are no wrinkles with his clothes....hence, the heavy starch.

For me, I really do have cruise clothing outfits.  Lots of wrinkle free dresses that I could roll up in a ball in the bottom of my closet for 6 months and pull them out the day I want to wear them.  I prefer wearing dresses on cruises because they are breezier and lighter weight than shorts or pants.  Don't get me wrong they are not dressy, they are very casual,  just lightweight material.  I throw on a cardigan at night or when inside to keep me warmer.

6 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

I am that way for my clothes, however,  after yrs of being married to an officer in the military it is just in my blood to make sure there are no wrinkles with his clothes....hence, the heavy starch.

For me, I really do have cruise clothing outfits.  Lots of wrinkle free dresses that I could roll up in a ball in the bottom of my closet for 6 months and pull them out the day I want to wear them.  I prefer wearing dresses on cruises because they are breezier and lighter weight than shorts or pants.  Don't get me wrong they are not dressy, they are very casual,  just lightweight material.  I throw on a cardigan at night or when inside to keep me warmer.

I understand about the military officer issue.  I’ve had 2 Marine husbands, a Marine father, 2 Marine fathers-in-law and a Marine son !  Luckily, Dan is as unconcerned as I am with wrinkles. I also love the lightweight dresses.  They are so low maintenance !

53 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I guess I’m the only one who just doesn’t care !  I let my wrinkles fly !  Who cares ?  You’re never gonna see these people again !  If they don’t like my wrinkles they can avert their eyes and look elsewhere !

TBH, I'm kinda the same.  The only time I "worry" about a wrinkly top is on "formal" night...but even then, it's not huge deal...because by the time I walk from my cabin to the dining room, the humidity of the sea takes care of them.  LOL

Not liking creases may be difficult, but one thing to remember is that everyone is living out of a suitcase. For suit coats, turn them completely inside out and pack the with as few folds as possible. You still may get creases but have your dry cleaner box your clothes. Ive used an Eagle creek "pack it system" (Google it) keeps your clothes wrinkle free and saves a lot of room packing, they do make a version for dresses, but not quite as good

1 hour ago, Nimi said:

Yes. You are allowed to bring a travel iron and a steamer. we had called them to confirm and then took it along.

You are saying Royal allowed this?  Which ship allowed this?

I have sailed out of Cape Liberty and Miami every yr.  

Irons are a fire hazard.   

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

Prohibited items:

• Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However ""torch lighters"" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.
  • Electrical Extension Cords